Virgin Mobile no longer allowing tethering and 3.5GB FUP.

rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
Forum Member
✭✭
Virgin mobile have changed their terms and conditions to state about the use of tethering and also the new "unlimited" data plans speed restrictions after you hit 3.5GB per calendar month.

"For new & upgrading customers from 24 January 2013: If your tariff includes data, then this is for mobile internet services and data consumption actually on your handset. It does not include using your handset as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets - also known as "Tethering"."

"For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network between midday and midnight. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. We reserve the right to review these usage levels from time to time. At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds, but peer-to-peer and large file downloads/uploads will be slower than normal."

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    This was supposed to happen a while back

Going from 10GB to 3.5GB is not good at all. Hardly unlimited now. Hell even Giff Gaff have a better proposition going on.

I wonder if Three will ever consider doing something like this. I really hope not because otherwise i have no other network to fall back on for unlimited + tethering.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch... here's the link before anyone asks.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep the 10GB "full speed" limit is gone! - Seems the whole EE networks are tightening their belts with the amount of 3G data being used over the network.

The full monty tarriffs on T-Mobile are capped at 4Mbps maximum and do not feature tethering for the newer customers.
  • SallyAmySallyAmy Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    So happy I'm with 3.
  • barker71barker71 Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand - surely they have to give notice to those of us affected .

For example I took out this sim only contract in December when the terms and conditions said 10gb.

Has anyone complained and got a response back from their customer service?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    SallyAmy wrote: »
    So happy I'm with 3.

Well I'll get in there first if EE are having to do this because of network issues when they have the same masts, same infrastructure and backhaul but have more 3G spectrum than Three then at some point Three will have to do the same.

Also Virgin are launching 4G so it may have not have anything to do with the network... More to do with marketing! :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks simply to force people onto more profitable 4g services.

Still not sure how virgin can do this without giving notice of the changes ?
  • old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I signed up to Virgins unlimited plan for the tethering. I hope this means they will alow me to cancel my contract.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    old bill2 wrote: »
    I signed up to Virgins unlimited plan for the tethering. I hope this means they will alow me to cancel my contract.

If you signed up before 24th you can still tether. Just you have a fair use of 3.5GB now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spoke to the cs on 789, was told to raise a complaint via the website . The lady I spoke to had no idea that anything had changed and therefore couldn't help at all.

Believe they are breaking the law by not notifying existing customers to this change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Virgin mobile have changed their terms and conditions to state about the use of tethering and also the new "unlimited" data plans speed restrictions after you hit 3.5GB per calendar month.

"For new & upgrading customers from 24 January 2013: If your tariff includes data, then this is for mobile internet services and data consumption actually on your handset. It does not include using your handset as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets - also known as "Tethering"."

"For customers who joined Virgin Media after 25 June 2012 excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network between midday and midnight. For customers who joined before 25 June 2012 excessive use over 2GB of data per calendar month will result in this restriction being applied. This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. We reserve the right to review these usage levels from time to time. At this reduced speed, customers will still be able to browse web pages, send/receive emails, and stream audio and video all at 3G data speeds, but peer-to-peer and large file downloads/uploads will be slower than normal."

That doesn't surprise me as Orange has got rid of unlimited data now and T-Mobile unlimited data is now speed capped
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    barker71 wrote: »
    Believe they are breaking the law by not notifying existing customers to this change.

No laws involved it's a civil matter. So in breach of your contract if you have one. so will release you. If they don't you have to sue them, probably lose as there is always coverage of what they do in the T&C's.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can appreciate Virgin no longer want to "allow" tethering on their mobile data for new customers but it's bit naughty of them to just go ahead and change the 10GB fair use limit right down to 3.5GB all of a sudden which is going to affect everyone now.

On the plus side you won't bit hit with any extra charges for going over the 3.5GB limit just hit with really slow speeds between those times.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really low speeds which are apparently enough to stream videos according to Virgin Media. Yeah, right!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    I can appreciate Virgin no longer want to "allow" tethering on their mobile data for new customers but it's bit naughty of them to just go ahead and change the 10GB fair use limit right down to 3.5GB all of a sudden which is going to affect everyone now.

On the plus side you won't bit hit with any extra charges for going over the 3.5GB limit just hit with really slow speeds between those times.

It's known as a bate and switch isn't it?

Not long ago Wavejock was posting about this like it was a crazy deal "Unlimited Data + Tethering + Unlimited SMS + 150 Mins for £12/Month !", no mention of the 10GB FUP in his posts, it's now gone down to 3.5GB FUP and now it really doesn't seem very good at all. I doubt he would have promoted it if he'd realised this.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it won't affect existing customers. But just read on the Virginmedia forum, that they pulled the "unlimited" £12 tariff. Now you have to pay £15.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    As was said, it's in the T&Cs. They pay lawyers squillions to make sure they can do what they want whenever they want. No one ever reads them though. I don't. Life's too short.
    The vast majority don't use more than 2GB so it's not an issue. If you want more you have to pay and the T&Cs say you can't complain when they move the goal posts.