Options

Credit Rating

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
Forum Member
I tried to open a new contract with Orange but I was refused because of my 'credit rating,' which is bizarre because, well, I have never had any problems with it ever before. I have also been on contracts with first T-Mobile then O2 over the past four years or so. I have paid to get a credit check report but the only thing I possibly think can be causing the problem is this, and I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this:

Last year, instead of an upgrade, O2 gave me a large account credit to stay with them (about £150?) thus meaning that I did not have to pay several month's bills as the credit covered them. On file, could this look like I failed to pay those bills, thus my problems now trying to take out a new contract?

I have never had debt problems, haven't moved house recently etc. so I have no idea what has made this "rating" low (unless perhaps what I described above). Also, maddeningly, I expect my three attempts to take out a contract (two online and one with a greasy bloke in a polyester suit in an Orange store) will stack up against me now in a downward-spiral effect. :mad:

Maybe I should just take another year with O2, get a free upgrade handset of as high as possible value, sell in on eBay and then buy the phone I want (which O2 only offer as an upgrade for a rubbish deal) sim-free...

Also.. is Orange a bad network? Much difference between Orange and O2 in terms of customer service etc? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I tried to open a new contract with Orange but I was refused because of my 'credit rating,' which is bizarre because, well, I have never had any problems with it ever before. I have also been on contracts with first T-Mobile then O2 over the past four years or so. I have paid to get a credit check report but the only thing I possibly think can be causing the problem is this, and I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this:

Last year, instead of an upgrade, O2 gave me a large account credit to stay with them (about £150?) thus meaning that I did not have to pay several month's bills as the credit covered them. On file, could this look like I failed to pay those bills, thus my problems now trying to take out a new contract?

I have never had debt problems, haven't moved house recently etc. so I have no idea what has made this "rating" low (unless perhaps what I described above). Also, maddeningly, I expect my three attempts to take out a contract (two online and one with a greasy bloke in a polyester suit in an Orange store) will stack up against me now in a downward-spiral effect. :mad:

Maybe I should just take another year with O2, get a free upgrade handset of as high as possible value, sell in on eBay and then buy the phone I want (which O2 only offer as an upgrade for a rubbish deal) sim-free...

Also.. is Orange a bad network? Much difference between Orange and O2 in terms of customer service etc? Thanks

I would be inclined to say that Orange are not desparate for customers at the min so they have highered their credit requirements.
    I work for a popular high street phone retailer at their head office and they have stopped selling orange for the meantime as they have met their monthly target.
  • Options
    mrdeejaymrdeejay Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know someone who was on O2 for around 4 years they were giving her a mince deal to say the least. Went to Vodafone and were like mmmm you r credit search is low we need £100 deposite BUT you will get it back in 6 months. I heard a few years back Carphone Warehouse done that before too, as they needed sales so took £100 deposites to refund again around christmas when sales where high! So there could be wacky reasons for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrdeejay wrote: »
    I know someone who was on O2 for around 4 years they were giving her a mince deal to say the least. Went to Vodafone and were like mmmm you r credit search is low we need £100 deposite BUT you will get it back in 6 months. I heard a few years back Carphone Warehouse done that before too, as they needed sales so took £100 deposites to refund again around christmas when sales where high! So there could be wacky reasons for this.

They do that in case you default on a bill.
    Its so that they still get your custom but they r taking a gamble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I wasn't even offered the chance to pay a deposit and they didn't seem at all interested in getting new customers (which is weird, because you normally can't shake the shop assistants off, they're so desperate to sell new contracts). When they have met their monthly target does it then become less profitable if new customers are added or something (thus they use "credit rating" to turn people away, without giving themselves a bad reputation)? It is all so weird, for example I am in monthly payment agreements for much more for the gym, Sky etc. without any problem but would Orange consider 'loaning' me what would amount to less than £300 over the 12 month term... no!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I wasn't even offered the chance to pay a deposit and they didn't seem at all interested in getting new customers (which is weird, because you normally can't shake the shop assistants off, they're so desperate to sell new contracts). When they have met their monthly target does it then become less profitable if new customers are added or something (thus they use "credit rating" to turn people away, without giving themselves a bad reputation)? It is all so weird, for example I am in monthly payment agreements for much more for the gym, Sky etc. without any problem but would Orange consider 'loaning' me what would amount to less than £300 over the 12 month term... no!

The retailers would not get paid.
    For example orange would pay phones4u £1000 for £1000 new customers. Once that target was acheived, orange would pay no more so p4u would be giving you a phone and paying the advisor commission without getting their commission in return.

They would in effect make a huge loss by connecting you.

If it was Orange direct, I have no idea why they refused you. They are reasonably lenient with their scoring process.
    Vodafone is by far the most stringent, three are by far the easiest network to join, for obvious reasons lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was an Orange Shop.. :confused:... Perhaps because it's Sunday they couldn't check the details properly... but I'm just guessing, I really don't know.

They weren't at all keen in the shop though.. they didn't say 'come and try again', they didn't recommend trying to find out what the problem was, they didn't try and sell me a PAYG mobile instead or anything.

The system seems to have changed too: once you needed ID, like a passport and utility bills, and someone in the shop made the final decision. Now Orange didn't want any ID, and the shop staff couldn't make a decision about whether or not to sell me a contract, they had to ring someone/a computer person.
  • Options
    Toilet-DuckToilet-Duck Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try signing up for a credit rating report, something sounds wrong to me if you have been declined a credit just for a mobile phone...