Why should a millionaire win?

I have to say that although Tom appears to be a 'nice chap' and all, the fact is he has a multi-million family business already. It is strange that he would apply and be accepted on this show in the first place.

It would be even stranger - and fundamentally unfair if he were to win. I think the winner should be someone who needs the £250,000 - not someone who is doing it for some competitive reason.

If Tom wins, in my view, this show will send out the wrong signals to the public. ie. GREED IS OK

Regards

Comments

• penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    bluecollar wrote: »
    I have to say that although Tom appears to be a 'nice chap' and all, the fact is he has a multi-million family business already. It is strange that he would apply and be accepted on this show in the first place.

It would be even stranger - and fundamentally unfair if he were to win. I think the winner should be someone who needs the £250,000 - not someone who is doing it for some competitive reason.

If Tom wins, in my view, this show will send out the wrong signals to the public. ie. GREED IS OK

Regards

Because a £3.5 million turnover does not mean he has £ 3.5 million cash on hand, in particular since it's an investing company. He might need the investment just as badly as the rest, or maybe even more for all we know;)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Lord Sid's money to do with as he sees fit. Fairness doesn't come into it, I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    It's Lord Sid's money to do with as he sees fit. Fairness doesn't come into it, I'm afraid.

Er, yeah, there's that too: it's not about being fair, it's about investing the money in the venture that offers potentially the best return on investment.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    bluecollar wrote: »

Well I wouldn't call it greed :o

I don't think how much money someone already has should have anything to do with the investment. The prize is not only money from Lord Sugar but also the expertise of his partnership - and you can't put a price on that :D

Since the business he already owns is a family one started by his dad, maybe Tom wants to develop something on his own merit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if he wins then he won because he deserved to win

if i had all the money in the world i'd still have Sir Alan as a partner , as his input/contacts etc is worth way more than cash investment
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,765
    Forum Member
    Because it's not a charity.
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is silly. Just because he's rich that doesn't mean he has less rights than everyone else! He's doing it for the experience, for the opporunity to work with one of the most successful businessmen in the world, the advice and contacts that Sugar can no doubt put his way. Not everything is about money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    aria28 wrote: »
    Er, yeah, there's that too: it's not about being fair, it's about investing the money in the venture that offers potentially the best return on investment.....

Which is being fair. The unfair thing is refusing to let the best man win because he's got too much money,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's got the best business plan, why not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait what? Don't you need a successful businessperson to even get on the show? How could anyone "need" the 250k?

Surely the whole point in the show is so Shuggs can invest in the person that will make him the most money, and he is a billionaire already!