Yet more back-pedalling from MS

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS have confirmed their plans for full unrestricted access from different spokesmen in a clear and concise manner and you still won't accept it. I'll be honest, there's being skeptical and then there's being in denial.

A simple anti-piracy measure could simply require online access (or security check-in's) while the X1 is in devkit mode. It's not hard to think of ways around it.

How many things since the reveal have 'different spokesmen' said was 100% true only for it to
    A) be a lie
    or
    B) they have done a complete 180 on

It requires internet every 24 hours (180), we'll let you trade games with up to 10 people on a family plan (lie), it's not as easy as flipping a switch and turning the DRM features off (lie)... and plenty more

You can't blame people when they won't believe anything MS has to say, because lets face it, there is a 50% this won't be true in a week
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS have confirmed their plans for full unrestricted access from different spokesmen in a clear and concise manner and you still won't accept it. I'll be honest, there's being skeptical and then there's being in denial.

A simple anti-piracy measure could simply require online access (or security check-in's) while the X1 is in devkit mode. It's not hard to think of ways around it.

I find taking a sceptical view leads to a lot less disappointment. I have been burnt too many times in the past by PR talk about features that fail to meet the sales pitch. In an industry that hype most things way beyond what can really be achieved am I really wrong for taking a sceptical view towards what gets announced?

Just think how many things have fallen short of the pre-release PR.
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    How many things since the reveal have 'different spokesmen' said was 100% true only for it to
    A) be a lie
    or
    B) they have done a complete 180 on

It requires internet every 24 hours (180), we'll let you trade games with up to 10 people on a family plan (lie), it's not as easy as flipping a switch and turning the DRM features off (lie)... and plenty more

You can't blame people when they won't believe anything MS has to say, because lets face it, there is a 50% this won't be true in a week

I wish people would be this passionate about politics and politicians failing to deliver on policies and promises as they are about a toy.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    I wish people would be this passionate about politics and politicians failing to deliver on policies and promises as they are about a toy.

Nice sweeping generalisation there.... Some of us are.
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Nice sweeping generalisation there.... Some of us are.

Apologies, I'll rephrase.

I wish more people would be this passionate about politics and politicians failing to deliver on policies and promises as they are about a toy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, you're in denial lol.

If you have full access to the system you can bypass that check, because you have full access to dick around and do anything you like.

Additionally, you don't find it the least bit unusual the console was built from the ground up around this feature, but that it isn't available at launch?

If it really was built around it, it'd be the first thing to be completed, as changes to it would have widespread effects on everything else in the system.

It has been tacked on, no shame in that but no need to make stuff up.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    No, you're in denial lol.

If you have full access to the system you can bypass that check, because you have full access to dick around and do anything you like.

Additionally, you don't find it the least bit unusual the console was built from the ground up around this feature, but that it isn't available at launch?

If it really was built around it, it'd be the first thing to be completed, as changes to it would have widespread effects on everything else in the system.

It has been tacked on, no shame in that but no need to make stuff up.

I'm neither in denial or "making stuff up". I'm just relaying the information Microsoft have been quite clear to release to us prior to the full unveiling at Gamecom.

This has not been tacked on, it's all presumption on your part, read THIS feature which explains how the X1 was developed to make each Xbox a devkit to enable developers to code without having to go back and forth creating specific builds. It should go some way to help clarify in detail what they've done and how this isn't some last minute decision.

With permission anyone can be given access to unsigned code, this was the plan to enable much easier means for Beta testing. Obviously you won't be able to just download ISO's and burn them to disk or run code from HDD without this permission and I don't want to anyway.

Overall, this is such great news for not only the Indie community but all developers. I know you don't want it to be true but the fact is Microsoft just pulled their ace card; 4 platforms in one (Win8, Mobile/tablet, 360 and X1), unity support, self publishing with each X1 given the ability to run as a devkit.

You didn't really think MS were going to sleep on Indies did you? Sony knew this which is why they were running around like headless chickens at the beginning of the year trying to court as many Indie devs as they could. Microsoft are the company that brought XBLA to consoles which in turn revitalised the entire Indie/retro gaming community, PSN and Steam followed in their footsteps. XBLIG was an experimental indie development platform which though XNA carved out many classics and to this day hosts the cheapest and best Indie games on home console.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With permission anyone can be given access to unsigned code, this was the plan to enable much easier means for Beta testing. Obviously you won't be able to just download ISO's and burn them to disk or run code from HDD without this permission and I don't want to anyway.

So there will be some form of restriction, you wont just be able to go out, pick up a new Xbox 1 bring it home and start coding which is what the original quote implied.

I wonder if they would be willing to grant someone like Geohot permission to code on their machines.
    Overall, this is such great news for not only the Indie community but all developers. I know you don't want it to be true but the fact is Microsoft just pulled their ace card; 4 platforms in one (Win8, Mobile/tablet, 360 and X1), unity support, self publishing with each X1 given the ability to run as a devkit.

Even if it was limited access this would still be a good thing, I don't think anyone in here is saying this is bad. I am just questioning exactly what will be allow as at the moment it sounds too good to be true.

There was a console in the past that allow home programming but that was way before the internet became so popular, now is a great time for something like this as anyone coding a game at home will easily be able to distribute their game to millions of people.

The link you posted is interesting but it wouldn't be the first time MS have over sold something, Natal looked awesome with ideas like importing objects into the game you were playing and a system which could understand people speaking to it in a natural way. The first idea seems to have completely vanished and they still haven't managed to pull of the natural speaking input yet even with Kinect 2.

As I said I think this is great even if it was limited, I am just not sure whether this truly is the development utopia you see it as. Its still quite an exciting prospect though. From the tone of your post I feel it necessary to point out I am not ragging on this idea, I am just questioning what it will actually be able to do rather than believing every word a Microsoft employee say about the product.

To put this another way as you brought up the subject of Sony and PSN, do you think that GaiKai will be perfectly lag free and provide exactly the same experience as playing a disc or download version of a game because different Sony employees have said it will, because I am pretty sceptical about that as well.
    Forum Member
    The tone of my post was not in relation to you hence why I quoted someone else. You've been perfectly polite and while I don't think your skepticism is justified I do accept it. Whether you are upset by this news like many others is only something you will know.

Is it not obvious there would be restrictions put in place to stop people from pirating and hacking into the machine? YES. Granting permission for people to access unsigned code is one such method. An online check-in system could also work (only my suggestion) but they obviously have security measures in place. I don't see why they would care if Geohot developed for it if they've done things right. OtherOS on PS3 didn't have any such restriction other then the encryption keys.

But regardless, it's indie games that matter and are the subject of this discussion and none of the above means there will be a compromise in the development tools or how much system resources are available to the coders (which has already been confirmed).

Roll on Gamescom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm neither in denial or "making stuff up". I'm just relaying the information Microsoft have been quite clear to release to us prior to the full unveiling at Gamecom.
    Microsoft making stuff up, not you. I don't call people liars and I try not to attack you in any way personally given the crap you get on here from others!
    This has not been tacked on, it's all presumption on your part, read THIS feature which explains how the X1 was developed to make each Xbox a devkit to enable developers to code without having to go back and forth creating specific builds. It should go some way to help clarify in detail what they've done and how this isn't some last minute decision.
    My point is this, though.

If this is a feature that the entire console was built around then it would be complete, right now, and it would not be a feature that isn't going to make launch.

Nor would it be a feature that indie developers who made their names with breakthrough 360 titles have no clue about it. MS would have consulted those people to see what they would like to see from them and if they could improve on what they're doing. Neither would MS skip telling people about it at an event that is attended by indie developers themselves and instead think oh let's wait some more and instead tell the public, at a public attended event.

If you build something around something then that is what you complete and finish first, so it should be available at launch.

The reason for it being complete first is that, if it is at the core of your system or program and you're building everything around it then it has to be complete before you begin work on the connecting bits and pieces - otherwise when you begin work on those bits and pieces you may need to completely re-write it based upon some complications you run into with the thing that makes the core of the product and that you're building everything around.

So, say you were building a house and the most key element for you is the door positioning. You love great door placement, and you love to have a good flow moving from room to room. As such you design your house around the doors you want to place.

So let's take the alleged MS approach. We need to complete the house, but we don't have the finished doors yet. No problem, we'll just build the walls anyway and then maybe leave a bit of a gap for some doors. We know the rough idea of where they'll go - it'll be fine.

Now you come to making those doors. The doors arrive, only the gap you left for the doors is too small - you need to knock some of the wall down - but oh shit you've put some wires and cables running through that bit and there's a light switch in the way - now you need to re-route all those elsewhere and practically re-do the entire wall in many rooms.

Had you, however, chosen the sane approach and finished the door design and specification and had the doors complete you would know exactly how to build your wall and where to put the cables around your door.

Ask any developer. Any change you want to make, if made early on does not take much time to execute. If made later on takes exponentially longer, and if you need to make it after a product has been set in stone - like this console will be - you will be limited in the things you can do as you can't change anything on the console itself.
    OK, consider this.

The 360 is hacked. And on the 360 absolutely no one has permission to run unsigned code and yet people still managed it.

Now, imagine how much easier that task has become given you will full access to the system, full access to all of the OSes and carte blanche access to run unsigned code etc, etc.
    I never suggested anything of the sort - in fact read up, I said I would buy one for this if it didn't cost £429 as I would love to have a tinker with making stuff.

In addition, I posted many times on here long before the console was announced that MS would likely merge all of their offerings into one and offer Windows 8 apps on Xbox and things of that nature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roll on Gamescom.

I look forward to hearing more about this. When I think about how good this could be it reminds me of the old PD Games on Amiga.
    Forum Member
    Too much to quote chopoff. Any devs that knew about this will be under NDA. As I said it's pure speculation on your part that this is some last minute decision and you can use all the analogies you want it, it won't prove your point. Just because it won't be a feature at launch does NOT in any way suggest that it was some whipped up last minute decision. I'm sure Sony's Gaikai was planned for a long time upfront too and that won't be making it to PS4 any time soon.

I really don't understand your logic, it's all a bit black and white. Who's to say the recent change in DRM policy hasn't set them back? Maybe they don't feel the need to offer that as a feature from Day 1, or maybe there's things on the software side that they want to iron out first. In fact there's a huge number of potential reasons why it won't be available at launch. I'm also not so sure why you care so much about that, or what ultimate point you are trying to prove?

Let's just wait for Gamescom, tbh there's very little to argue about or be upset over with this news. No matter what, it's going to mean lots of great Indie titles which is the plan. With the Win8 cross over it could likely include emulators such as those on Windows app store which I'd be very interested in personally.
    Forum Member
    Also there will still be a QA process for Indie titles, people won't be able to just code a multiple achievement giving game and upload it from their X1 and have it appear on the store straight away, everything will still have to be sent to MS first and regulated.
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I look forward to hearing more about this. When I think about how good this could be it reminds me of the old PD Games on Amiga.

TBH XBLIG is already exactly like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH XBLIG is already exactly like that.

Minus all the dodgy stuff I assume, I doubt we will see the likes of games were you go around a hotel sleeping with the women in different rooms like I remember one of the games that got past around my school on the Amiga was about :o

EDIT: It might have been a hospital actually.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Minus all the dodgy stuff I assume, I doubt we will see the likes of games were you go around a hotel sleeping with the women in different rooms like I remember one of the games that got past around my school on the Amiga was about :o

EDIT: It might have been a hospital actually.

Oh well yeah that's true haha. No Terror Liner II or Party Games on XBLIG. Don't think we're likely to see them on X1 either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much to quote chopoff. Any devs that knew about this will be under NDA.
    Except they are explicitly saying they didn't know about it and were not contacted. If they were under NDA they would not be commenting at all.
    As I said it's pure speculation on your part that this is some last minute decision and you can use all the analogies you want it, it won't prove your point. Just because it won't be a feature at launch does NOT in any way suggest that it was some whipped up last minute decision. I'm sure Sony's Gaikai was planned for a long time upfront too and that won't be making it to PS4 any time soon.
    You are completely missing the point.

The Gaikai part of PS4 is not what the console is built around. It is an add-on feature.

You and they are claiming to have completely built the console around this whole dev kit idea. If that was the case then it would be the first thing to be finished, and available at launch.

You can't do the add-ons without completing the foundations because if you don't build the foundations everything will fall down.

Here is a house that was built around solid foundations and supporting walls.
    http://www.ferndale-dental.co.uk/images/house.jpg

And here is a house that had incomplete foundations and supporting walls but was finished and sold anyway.
    http://mypropertyleads.com/media/photos/Collapsed_House.jpg

Either:
    a) The console is not built around the dev kit idea and it was a late addition, or
    b) The dev kit idea is old, but the console is not built from the ground up around it
    Forum Member
    Could you please provide some sources for your claim that "indie devs are explicitly stating they know nothing about it". Also the whole point of being under NDA is that you don't discuss it, denial would be one such method. Once again, this does not prove any point. Your logic is entirely flawed.

The other hangup you have (which I guess is the only thing you can latch onto here in order to be as negative as possible about this news) regarding the claims from Microsoft that this was only possible had it been a feature that the console was designed around from the beginning is irrelevant. I don't care either way personally. I've got no time for this mentality I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    While on the topic of Indie games it appears things have blown up around Jon Blow and Phil Fish, Fez 2 is now officially cancelled since Marcus Beer had a few choice words to say about the pair of them and their recent behaviour.

Not a fan of Annoyed Gamer but I do feel he was justified in his rant HERE ~NSFW~

IMHO It had to be said and he's the only one who seemingly has the balls to say it. Everyone is sick and tired of Blow and Fish moaning on and on about Microsoft and Indie policies, now just because the press approached them (Game Informer among others, no doubt EG too since they went fishing for Provinciano) since they were so outspoken about MS in the past, they got angry because they obviously couldn't bring themselves to accept Microsoft have done a damn good thing. Screw the both of them!!

Fez 2 being cancelled only proves Marcus's point. I personally won't be buying any of Blow's games in future either, not that I liked Braid in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you please provide some sources for your claim that "indie devs are explicitly stating they know nothing about it". Also the whole point of being under NDA is that you don't discuss it, denial would be one such method. Once again, this does not prove any point. Your logic is entirely flawed.

The other hangup you have (which I guess is the only thing you can latch onto here in order to be as negative as possible about this news) regarding the claims from Microsoft that this was only possible had it been a feature that the console was designed around from the beginning is irrelevant. I don't care either way personally. I've got no time for this mentality I'm afraid.
    I'm not latching on to anything. You are the one who posted on here saying that Microsoft built the Xbox One from the ground up around this feature with an accompanying quote, not me.

Again, if you fail to understand this is it not my problem that you are incapable of doing so, but if you build something from the ground up around something - if you do not complete that or do not finish that you cannot complete the rest of your stuff because it must interoperate with the thing that isn't finished or complete.

See the two houses I posted above. If you do not complete the foundations and supporting walls (the thing you build your house from the ground up around) you cannot complete the rest, because it will fall down.

I'm not posting any more on this subject because I'm just repeating that same stuff that your brainwashed mind is failing to understand.

Nor am I being negative on this matter. I posted above that I would like to use it, if it didn't cost so much. I am just taking issue with Microsoft's attitude and spin. You just keep merging the two in your warped MS-sponsored mind.
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote:
    I'm not posting any more on this subject

That's good to hear.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow, so MS announce some good news and people are arguing about it. :confused::eek:

Remember MS are a software company first. They are the experts so I'm sure if anyone is going to add a feature in correctly later on then MS can do it without breaking anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    wow, so MS announce some good news and people are arguing about it. :confused::eek:

Remember MS are a software company first. They are the experts so I'm sure if anyone is going to add a feature in correctly later on then MS can do it without breaking anything.
    Which is fine - but it means that the console was not built from the ground up around the feature. It was added later. Which is my point.

If you actually read everyone's posts not one person has said this is a bad idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »

What is wrong with discussion and debate about a subject?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    My guess is what will happen with "every xbox is a development kit" is that any self published code will only work on the system that it was created/tested on for it to work on other systems it will have to go through certification.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have NDAs got to do with this?

If it was such great news internally known earlier surely MS would have just announced it much earlier? Common sense.

So clearly its a recent change.