What are the Open Access Channels?

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't know if this has been asked before but what exactly are the 'Open Access' channels on Sky (and possibly cable)?

I was flicking through the channel today and there are 3 'Open Access' channels but looking at the listings, there are 2 or 3 old TV Programmes/Films on them and that is it. The rest of the time they just show a key on screen.

I've looked to see if they have a website but the only site I've found is one for an American TV channel called 'Open Access'.

I know there are a lot of third-rate channels in the EPG but at least they do show something other than a picture of a key!

Comments

• east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are actually 4.
    Open Access is also in the 800s section I do believe, with all the community channel & teachers tv channels.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    What are the Open Access Channels?
    They are rental channels. Anyone can hire space on them, rather than the expense of having a full blown channel. A sort of middleman.

The films are from a TV station called Hollywood Classic Network, who very briefly had their own full blown channel on another satellite (13 east) before renting space on Open Access.

There used to be more channels / spots on Open Access being used when they first launched. For instance a few indy music record labels had their own channel space on here such as Trinity Force Music and Organ TV.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been on air since 2002 but it has always amazed me that it has lasted so long, with 3 channels and apart from Hollywood Classics Network there seems to be very little interest in hiring airtime. They also run oMusic TV, the successor to Classic FM TV, and the Audi Channel.

MTV recently paid them an 'undisclosed sum' to swap places on the EPG with MTVR and Paramount 2+1.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

After asking on here about the channel, I actually did find something on the channel which I have recorded for my Gran.

My Gran has talked about a cartoon she liked as a child called 'Felix' but apart from a few articles on some websites, I've never found the original cartoons anywhere (they have a 1950's remake on YouTube, but the originals date back to the 1920's and earlier). After looking at the Open Access channels, I noticed a programme called 'Felix' so I decided to record it thinking it would probably be something else, I was amazed to find it was actually the original (silent-film) 'Felix' my Gran has talked about. She will be thrilled when I give her the tape with it on!!!
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    Izak wrote: »

My Gran has talked about a cartoon she liked as a child called 'Felix' but apart from a few articles on some websites, I've never found the original cartoons anywhere (they have a 1950's remake on YouTube, but the originals date back to the 1920's and earlier). After looking at the Open Access channels, I noticed a programme called 'Felix' so I decided to record it thinking it would probably be something else, I was amazed to find it was actually the original (silent-film) 'Felix' my Gran has talked about. She will be thrilled when I give her the tape with it on!!!

They have a number of Felix the cat cartoons on archive.org.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    That are rental channels. Which means that members of the public can buy airtime to broadcast programmes on them.
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RyanSky wrote: »
    That are rental channels. Which means that members of the public can buy airtime to broadcast programmes on them.

But you're better of going to Info TV for that. Much more professional outfit than Open Access. Better terms and PQ as well.
  • CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Wouter wrote: »
    But you're better of going to Info TV for that. Much more professional outfit than Open Access. Better terms and PQ as well.

Do you know how much money said channel would look to be paid for airtime?
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Blooming annoying flicking through when they are showing the test slate as my tv switches to NTSC mode.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CocaCola wrote: »
    Do you know how much money said channel would look to be paid for airtime?

Information TV have details on their website: http://www.information.tv/RateCard/

Open Access don't seem to have any such details, and their website has no contact information. For a channel which supposedly leases airtime they make it remarkably difficult to find out how to do so!
  • CocaColaCocaCola Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Information TV have details on their website: http://www.information.tv/RateCard/

Open Access don't seem to have any such details, and their website has no contact information. For a channel which supposedly leases airtime they make it remarkably difficult to find out how to do so!

Highly overpriced!

I can't imagine these are up-to-date or accurate now?!
  • StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that ratecard is out of date. If you contact them they send you an "incubator" ratecard, where the price can be as low as £500 per hour.