Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Filming has finished but that doesn't mean the spoilers have...
    I found pictures of a bonfire on the beach, it looks like after the how-down on the beach. Penhale, Morwenna and Al are sat around a bonfire.
    Also found pictures of Louisa in her sports day attire with the kids at the school, looks like she's making them carry everything....

Annnnnnd one more... Found a picture of Louisa in her hospital gown. Do I deliver or what people ;)

.. Who wants the links :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Why exactly does it bear repeating? I think we all know that the series is written for 9 million plus viewers and not for the couple of thousand who obsess about it here and other sites.

For some reason, it "hooks" some people, and then there often is a drive to make sense of something -- to make it a reasonable narrative, with some degree of consistency. Discontinuities, whether in props or main characters, are a bit jarring when noticed, (as tends to happen when youre really paying attention to something and not letting it passively wash over you) and lots of effort goes into smoothing and rationalizing them away with explanations, etc.

I think even show-runners make an effort to tell themselves a story about why their characters' behaviors make sense -- even if it's sometimes a bit strained.

Yes, we love the show. It's a gem of its kind; every aspect of it is polished to the highest degree. I'd like to see the machinery of keeping it in a motion a little less obvious, that's all.

If we're meant to take every artistic production as it is, take it or leave it, there would be no literary criticism at all, and that's too bad, at least in my book, because that's we learn and advance.

Sorry -- I can't think of efforts to understand the show and explain it to ourselves as a stranglehold., but really in its way a tribute to the artistry of its creators, who have made this alternate world so real to us.

I guess what it comes down to is that although I sometimes like the comments and seeing the photos for the filming has been fun, this constant regurgitation gets, well, boring. So, I am just one more who used to enjoy the forum. I leave you to it.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I guess what it comes down to is that although I sometimes like the comments and seeing the photos for the filming has been fun, this constant regurgitation gets, well, boring. So, I am just one more who used to enjoy the forum. I leave you to it.

Wish you wouldn't besotted. You always had good insights. Oh well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filming has finished but that doesn't mean the spoilers have...
    I found pictures of a bonfire on the beach, it looks like after the how-down on the beach. Penhale, Morwenna and Al are sat around a bonfire.
    Also found pictures of Louisa in her sports day attire with the kids at the school, looks like she's making them carry everything....

Annnnnnd one more... Found a picture of Louisa in her hospital gown. Do I deliver or what people ;)

.. Who wants the links :D

You know I want the links! Please, please. And thanks.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I think that cookie made a great point in her post. MC and PB sometimes seem not to understand the attraction of DM. At least superficially they seem to think that the Doc is seen as "vile" or "horrible" (more recently). If that is truly the case, the enigma is Martin Clunes, the actor. If he truly believes that, why is their that nuance in his voice, that absolute subtle change of expression that reflects otherwise. The man is an artist with his eyes. If he isn't doing this secondarily to knowing his character's motivation, who knows where it comes from? If MC only thinks the Doc is vile perhaps he is possessed by some otherworldly force that is doing the acting.

I hope this post doesn't sound too insane...I am a bit flaky, but I'm functional

I think when MC uses "vile" or "horrible" (or "appallingly" when asked how he'd cope with fatherhood in the new series interview with Paul O'Grady), I see him saying it with either a bit of tongue in cheek, and/or just to create interest. Maybe because we humans seem to love to watch the proverbial "train wreck".

BTW, not TOO insane--just as much as the rest of us!!;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by dmbesotted View Post

Wish you wouldn't besotted. You always had good insights. Oh well.

Ditto Mofromco's remark.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    You know I want the links! Please, please. And thanks.

Just added a load to the FB spoilers website. Anyone who cannot get access to them? I might be able to get them on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Just added a load to the FB spoilers website. Anyone who cannot get access to them? I might be able to get them on here.

Would like them on this forum, please. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »

Not besotted enough. :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when MC uses "vile" or "horrible" (or "appallingly" when asked how he'd cope with fatherhood in the new series interview with Paul O'Grady), I see him saying it with either a bit of tongue in cheek, and/or just to create interest. Maybe because we humans seem to love to watch the proverbial "train wreck".

BTW, not TOO insane--just as much as the rest of us!!;)

MC used "vile" many times and in many interviews and behind the scenes videos regarding DM and again regarding The Town where he was another such character and reiterated that he thought that was what the public wanted.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that cookie made a great point in her post. MC and PB sometimes seem not to understand the attraction of DM. At least superficially they seem to think that the Doc is seen as "vile" or "horrible" (more recently).

I do think MC and PB understand the attraction of DM. I remember in one of the few interviews with PB (behind the scenes I think) she talks about how they know people are seeing under the surface of DM. I haven't watched that interview in awhile but I remember that impression.

I think that MC uses the one word terms (vile, horrible) in interviews because these are short segments to promote the program and he has to use more "sound byte" type language. Each of these interviewers usually want to talk about lots of other things than just the show he is promoting so he knows that he has to boil it down to a sentence or two. And the issue we were talking about earlier today about the vast majority of the fans who don't delve into it the way the superfans do - those are the people he is talking to in those interviews (they know they don't need to promote the show to us). And that vast majority watches the show when it is broadcast, probably gets interrupted a time or two during the broadcast and at the end thinks how funny it was, how vile he is and will tune in again next week. But they won't ever watch that episode again and will not think much about it again except that it was an enjoyable hour of entertainment. I know this is the way I watch most other shows I like.

I think the amount of time and planning that goes into the scripts is a testament to PB's understanding of the character and MC performance is so wonderful that those of us who watch closely get the added layers and viewing enjoyment. And with all the analysis we do, I still don't believe that we understand the character better than MC does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I do think MC and PB understand the attraction of DM. I remember in one of the few interviews with PB (behind the scenes I think) she talks about how they know people are seeing under the surface of DM. I haven't watched that interview in awhile but I remember that impression.

I think that MC uses the one word terms (vile, horrible) in interviews because these are short segments to promote the program and he has to use more "sound byte" type language. Each of these interviewers usually want to talk about lots of other things than just the show he is promoting so he knows that he has to boil it down to a sentence or two. And the issue we were talking about earlier today about the vast majority of the fans who don't delve into it the way the superfans do - those are the people he is talking to in those interviews (they know they don't need to promote the show to us). And that vast majority watches the show when it is broadcast, probably gets interrupted a time or two during the broadcast and at the end thinks how funny it was, how vile he is and will tune in again next week. But they won't ever watch that episode again and will not think much about it again except that it was an enjoyable hour of entertainment. I know this is the way I watch most other shows I like.

I think the amount of time and planning that goes into the scripts is a testament to PB's understanding of the character and MC performance is so wonderful that those of us who watch closely get the added layers and viewing enjoyment. And with all the analysis we do, I still don't believe that we understand the character better than MC does.

Most heartily agree, ShopGirl. And especially with the last paragraph. I think it is presumptuous of any of us to think we know better than they do. After all, they've managed to keep us coming back and coming back and ....well, you get the picture.

Additionally, no matter how much I want to, no matter what I've tried, I have not yet produced anything even faintly resembling something as amazing as the DM show. Well...my son may be the one exception!;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic: Mechanical question from a low tech chick

How do you isolate a part of a post as your quote as opposed to quoting an entire 4 or 5 paragraphs?

How do you put a passage in boldface?

I'd love to just cite a few passages when I reply to a post rather than make people read the whole darn thing. It makes me more likely to pay attention to the reply...and I know that is SO important! Just kidding as always.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a guy that wrote this on a DM FB page. What!? Now I'll have to go back and watch that scene but a little bit of an extreme reaction even if it's true.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doc-Martin/37144040466?ref=ts&fref=ts

"Message for the many American fans who love the series as I do. I caught something disturbing while watching Doc Martin on YouTube (I don't have all of the DVD's) as we await series six. In the series four final episode "The Wrong Goodbye," remember when Mrs. Tishell gives Doc that bright gold sweater with "Martin" stitched on it? Well when Doc finally disposes of it in his garbage you get a brief glimpse of an American flag in the can. Check it out for yourself on YouTube. I didn't originally see this either, it happens so fast. Also, in the very next episode in the season five opener, Doc twice snottily brushes off Louisa's baby upbringing thoughts as 'American?" I don't know if it is Clunes or Director Ben Bolt who has the Brit "hardon" against the USA, however I am "quite" offended in seeing an American flag in the "dust bin" as the call it. Typical Brit cowards by doing something so backhanded it in a split second. If it weren't for us they be speaking fluent German by now. At least Liz could go back to her real German last name. That feels better. But I suppose that they think we Americans are simply too stupid to pick it up. I'll also bet that it was hilarious on the set. Well THIS American spotted it and won't be spending any more of my American money on further Doc Martin DVD's. That is for certain..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic: Mechanical question from a low tech chick

How do you isolate a part of a post as your quote as opposed to quoting an entire 4 or 5 paragraphs?

How do you put a passage in boldface?

I'd love to just cite a few passages when I reply to a post rather than make people read the whole darn thing. It makes me more likely to pay attention to the reply...and I know that is SO important! Just kidding as always.

After you click on "quote" to start your reply you can go into the quote and delete any part of the quote - making sure not to delete the parts at the beginning and end with the "["s, "]"s and "/".

To bold, highlight the section you want bold and then click on the "B" on the little task bar at the top - the "B" is on the far left side.

Also - I always preview my posts to make sure they look right - quotes, spoilers, spelling, etc. Unless it's just a one line reply, I never submit the reply before previewing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    There's a guy that wrote this on a DM FB page. What!? Now I'll have to go back and watch that scene but a little bit of an extreme reaction even if it's true.

"Message for the many American fans who love the series as I do. I caught something disturbing while watching Doc Martin on YouTube (I don't have all of the DVD's) as we await series six. In the series four final episode "The Wrong Goodbye," remember when Mrs. Tishell gives Doc that bright gold sweater with "Martin" stitched on it? Well when Doc finally disposes of it in his garbage you get a brief glimpse of an American flag in the can.

Hey! This is completely and utterly FALSE!!! Wrong, wrong, wrong! Do the math, watch the video!!!!

There is NO flag, of any kind, in the bin.

To paraphrase the Doc, " RUBBISH. Bloody Idiot! "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Message for the many American fans who love the series as I do. I caught something disturbing while watching Doc Martin on YouTube (I don't have all of the DVD's) as we await series six. In the series four final episode "The Wrong Goodbye," remember when Mrs. Tishell gives Doc that bright gold sweater with "Martin" stitched on it? Well when Doc finally disposes of it in his garbage you get a brief glimpse of an American flag in the can. Check it out for yourself on YouTube. I didn't originally see this either, it happens so fast. Also, in the very next episode in the season five opener, Doc twice snottily brushes off Louisa's baby upbringing thoughts as 'American?" I don't know if it is Clunes or Director Ben Bolt who has the Brit "hardon" against the USA, however I am "quite" offended in seeing an American flag in the "dust bin" as the call it. Typical Brit cowards by doing something so backhanded it in a split second. If it weren't for us they be speaking fluent German by now. At least Liz could go back to her real German last name. That feels better. But I suppose that they think we Americans are simply too stupid to pick it up. I'll also bet that it was hilarious on the set. Well THIS American spotted it and won't be spending any more of my American money on further Doc Martin DVD's. That is for certain..."

Oh my God Conniej, I was just sort of browsing the post without really paying attention and glanced up and saw YOU had posted it. I got really scared and panicky until I slowed down and realized what the situation was. Phew...I'm glad you're ok. I was wondering how I was going to get help for you in Portland when I'm in Panama!

This man is obviously unbalanced. If we Americans can't take a joke we're in worse shape than I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    They made Louisa into a shrew in series 5, to the point that it was almost ridiculous. For me her behavior came out of nowhere. If it is to be blamed on post-postpartum depression, then give us a diagnosis - it's a medical show after all. Anyway, I hope they realized their mistake and don't go down that road again with her.

Don't take me wrong, I also wasn't happy about Louisa's behaviour, to put it mildly. And partly I think you're right that it was post-partum depression.
    But the writers had put both of them in a very difficult situation. They had stood each other up nine months earlier. She had hidden her preganancy from him for six months. They had three months of bickering. They had never ever lived together before, and now they were thrown together as a young family with a baby with very good lungs and therefore parents with very little sleep with the departure of the father hanging over them like the sword of Damocles.
    I guess it would be very difficult for anyone not to be tensed up in a situation like this, and even more so for these two difficult characters.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my God Conniej, I was just sort of browsing the post without really paying attention and glanced up and saw YOU had posted it. I got really scared and panicky until I slowed down and realized what the situation was. Phew...I'm glad you're ok. I was wondering how I was going to get help for you in Portland when I'm in Panama!

This man is obviously unbalanced. If we Americans can't take a joke we're in worse shape than I thought.

Ha - not something I'd ever say in a million years but weird that he'd go off like that on FB. I didn't recall ever seeing any flag although we know that DM makes a few remarks about Americans. I never take anything like that seriously - there are cracks about other countries on US TV and it's never anything too horrible. Just poking fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This person is a troll. I'll never understand why they get their kicks by posting absurd, untrue things designed with one purpose, to stir up sh*t (well, if they can use that in a DM ep, I can too). I'm also a long time member of a quit smoking forum where trolls occasionally like to jump in and say things like, "Hey, former smokers, you can still smoke. Just go get an e-cig. It works." That kind of insane thing. And then I guess they sit back at their computers and laugh at the chaos they've caused. I guess. I don't know. It's so very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Hey! This is completely and utterly FALSE!!! Wrong, wrong, wrong! Do the math, watch the video!!!!

Yes, and I've asked him which YT clip he saw it on--I'd really like to know.

Amazing what some folks get up to! :(:confused::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha - not something I'd ever say in a million years but weird that he'd go off like that on FB. I didn't recall ever seeing any flag although we know that DM makes a few remarks about Americans. I never take anything like that seriously - there are cracks about other countries on US TV and it's never anything too horrible. Just poking fun.

This is probably someone who wanders around facebook and checks out assorted groups, reads just enough to figure out what will upset people, and makes up a BS item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

I agree Rob. I went to the Netflix video and paused it. You can see something that appears to have a row of white somethings - maybe stars, polka dots or something. But that's all you can see. Impossible to guess at what it might be.

I looked at this idiot's FB page and the clues I could see suggest to me that he is probably one of those conservative types who have co-opted the flag as their own. We study this show pretty closely - how he got that from that quick glimpse is beyond me.

I'll bet every time he goes into McDonalds he orders "freedom fries" and then has to explain to the 16 year old cashier that they are potatoes cut into sticks and dropped into the deep fryer. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and I've asked him which YT clip he saw it on--I'd really like to know.

Amazing what some folks get up to! :(:confused::eek:

OMG! I've just seen his response to you. That is the most ugly, profane thing I have ever seen on FB. I take it back - he isn't an idiot. He is dangerously unhinged.

I wonder who runs that FB page?
This discussion has been closed.