The weirdness of the current UK Top 40

Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I dont know if anyone has noticed, out of the current UK Top 40 singles you have:

2 songs by Alexandra Burke
2 songs by Cheryl Cole
2 songs by Timbaland (that his name features in the title)
2 songs feat Alicia Keys
2 songs by Jay Z
2 songs feat Mr Hudson
2 versions of Dont Stop Believing (Didn't Joe M have a version of this song in the charts recently too?)

How weird is that lot? Talk about milking it!

Comments

• joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the joys of the modern day music buying process where you can download any song from an artist's back catalogue and it count towards the chart.

Airplay keeping a song popular (e.g. any Florance and the Machine song!) and Facebook campaigns, trends buyers towards particular songs too.

It takes me back to the old days (the 80s :rolleyes:) when youngsters like me would save our pennies for weeks to buy a 7" single that was on the wireless, and a song would take weeks to go up the charts, peak, hang around for a bit then go back out again. Because of this lengthy process it would be quite common for a number of artists to have more than one song in the chart.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK chart is becoming just like the Billboard Hot 100. Justin Bieber had 4 or 5 songs of his on the hot 100 recently all at the same time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It's because music is just one big blur. Most of those songs are probably downloaded by the same people each time.

Although there's loads out there, the majority of it is the same old, boring stuff. It's quite depressing at times.

Most of that list you posted is faux-R&B music, which needs to die out. It's killed proper R&B (mainly from the late 80s to 90s).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    The UK chart is becoming just like the Billboard Hot 100. Justin Bieber had 4 or 5 songs of his on the hot 100 recently all at the same time!

But Justin Bieber is stupid, so it doesn't count.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    But Justin Bieber is stupid, so it doesn't count.

LOL! It's not just him. There are others too like Taylor Swift, Rihanna etc.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps people are twice as likely to be tasteless enough to buy twice as much crap now, as they would have been.
  • Tom8592Tom8592 Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Sunday , 30h13 and Katy Perry are both gonna have 2 songs in the Top 10
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Tom8592 wrote: »
    This Sunday , 30h13 and Katy Perry are both gonna have 2 songs in the Top 10

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, the Black Eyed Peas were in the top 10 for like 9 consecutive months, starting with Boom Boom Pow last Spring, and ending with Meet me Halfway in January.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, the Black Eyed Peas were in the top 10 for like 9 consecutive months, starting with Boom Boom Pow last Spring, and ending with Meet me Halfway in January.

Considering they were number 1 for 26 consecutive weeks in America, I doubt they even noticed :D

Has Lady GaGa been out of the top 40 since the release of Just Dance?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because of the added DOWNLOAD sales?
  • LuverlyAJLuverlyAJ Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Top 40 is weird all together.