Polish people getting 'abuse' from the natives

Comments

• MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well if they dont like it then why not go back to poland?

There's a polish girl in my office who speaks 3 languages. How many do you speak?
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Lighters

and I am not a Fascist, it's just quite uncomfortable if you are in the company of two people who are speaking a different language - they could be unknowingly slagging you off.
    Ahh , paranoid as well.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a polish girl in my office who speaks 3 languages. How many do you speak?

The arrogance of the British knows no bounds! :D
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    You could say the same about British expats living in mainland Europe! Learning the local lingo is neither a requirement nor very high on their list of priorities!

Though Brits on the mainland usually arent economic migrants : on the contrary their money is often highly beneficial for local economies.

A chalk and cheese comparison
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    You could, but that's a separate issue.

Not really it isn't.
    I have two friends who have lived in Madrid for over ten years, since Sue was seconded there in her communications job, and Dan, her husband got an architectural position.
    They both speak Spanish of course, all day long at work, but if they meet for a drink or dinner in the evening it's only natural to lapse back into English.
    No one turns a hair when they do.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not thrilled by the prospect of floods of migrant workers. But that's part of the price of being in Europe. If the tables were turned and Poland was the land of riches then the boot would be on the other foot...... except we would have a much harder job fitting in. For a start, the Brits are on the whole crap at learning foreign languages. Second, other countries in Europe are far less tolerant.

What surprises me though is how many people in this thread jump to the conclusion that the Polish girls speak no English. Where in the story does it say that? Answer: It doesn't.

stud u like, Littlegreen42, Justicar - I am amazed that you are all so narrow minded and naive.

Does it not seem more plausible that the girls do have some basic English; enough to move to a foreign country, sort out housing, and apply for and hold down a job?

Further more, once they ordered their drink and were having a private conversation then what business is it of anyone's what language they choose to speak to each other? When you're on holiday in a foreign country do the waiters tell you to eff off because you don't speak the local language during your private conversations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though Brits on the mainland usually arent economic migrants : on the contrary their money is often highly beneficial for local economies.

A chalk and cheese comparison

So only those who are working must learn the language?

How about British construction workers who worked on building sites in Europe during the 80s, did they have a sound grasp of the country's language? Did you average brickie make sure they could speak the language of the country they were working in?

Not chalk and cheese at all, simply the British arrogance that everyone who doesn't have English as a language should learn the language before being allowed to enter the country!
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Lighters

and I am not a Fascist, it's just quite uncomfortable if you are in the company of two people who are speaking a different language - they could be unknowingly slagging you off.

Do you really worry about strangers talking about you? Do you listen into conversations in English, just to make sure they're not about you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not thrilled by the prospect of floods of migrant workers. But that's part of the price of being in Europe. If the tables were turned and Poland was the land of riches then the boot would be on the other foot...... except we would have a much harder job fitting in. For a start, the Brits are on the whole crap at learning foreign languages. Second, other countries in Europe are far less tolerant.

way less tolerant

1/2 million Brits suddently rock up in Poland and there would be blood .
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that foreigners do not bother to learn English. It should be a requirement before entry.

The first poster said that the two women were talking to each other, and mentioning the glass collector indicates that they were sitting down. Quite a few people start getting paranoid when foreigners from the same country start talking to each other in that country's language. Quite a few people feel uncomfortable around things they don't understand that aren't a threat to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So only those who are working must learn the language?

!

whoever pays the piper - essentially.

Otherwise - it would be nice but thats about it .Poles have a pressing survival issue.Theres no choice.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Quite a few people start getting paranoid when foreigners from the same country start talking to each other in that country's language. Quite a few people feel uncomfortable around things they don't understand that aren't a threat to them.

Yes ignorants, racists, fascists and the list go on...
    Regular well adjusted individuals are not threatened by other languages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whoever pays the piper - essentially

I notice that you have not answered the most pertinent part of my post!
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a fairly large Eastern European community here and they don't seem to mix with the locals, but then I dont tend to mix with the locals much either. The younger ones do mix with locals but thats because they are all at school together. I guess at some point the communities will mix better than they currently do.

What I do think is unfair is the Job situation, we have alot of unemployed people yet companies are advertising jobs within the EU that would happily be taken by people already here. These are minimum wage jobs in local factorys and warehouses. My husband worked for a large distribution centre and out of curiosity asked a Eastern European man how long they had lived in the UK, and was told 3 days, he came here just to take this job The job had been advertised and interviewed for outside of the UK. This distribution centre is huge and about 90% of its workforce are from Eastern Europe.

I can see exactly whey people think their jobs are being taken by Eastern Europeans.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lighters

Well I'd be a bit non plus send getting IDed for a lighter.

1. You're not in their company though.

2. they'll be knowingly be slagging you off. And if you don't know about it, so what? I suppose everybody should talk in such a manner to let people overhearing, understand them fully.:rolleyes:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You could say the same about British expats living in mainland Europe! Learning the local lingo is neither a requirement nor very high on their list of priorities!

Most people I know are more than trilingual and that includes me.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!!! What is it with people not understanding analogies these days! Its a reasonable analogy or comparison to use when dealing with attitudes regarding the seemingly very common belief that all foreigners setting foot on our green hills for longer than 2 weeks, should be as fluent in English as a professor of English Language from Oxbridge!!

Who said that on this thread?
    stud u like, Littlegreen42, Justicar - I am amazed that you are all so narrow minded and naive.

Does it not seem more plausible that the girls do have some basic English; enough to move to a foreign country, sort out housing, and apply for and hold down a job?

They probably do. However, as I made no comment about the girls I'm wondering why you felt the need to say I'm narrow minded and naive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justicar wrote: »
    Who said that on this thread?

No one why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that you have not answered the most pertinent part of my post!

Well its a bit too historical ....

Bricklaying in Dusseldorf evidently didnt need much knowledge of German .?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I can only speak from my own experience, but we have quite a large Eastern European community and I have never witnessed any negative reactions towards them. Although they do form their own little communities as a lot of people do when living abroad, they are also friendly towards the rest of us as much as their grasp of english allows for. I think the influx has calmed down now and a lot are heading back as they are not getting the work they though they would so the ones that are still in my community have properly settled here and have been here for a while so have integrated well. You are always going to get people who will see them as "job stealers" but, to be honest, I wouldn't want some of the jobs they have. As for the woman who's son is an outcast, even if the Eastern European pupils do keep to themselves, I'm sure he is not the only English pupil at the school!

With regard to mass immigration the bit in bold highlights the main problem in my opinion.
    Unless mass immigration effects someone personally, they just don't seem to care.Part of the I'm alright jack society with which we are living in today.
    You might not want to do those jobs tellywatcher, but someone does.You know,the ones that did these jobs before mass immigration arrived at our shores.
    It's the ones at the bottom of our society that have suffered the most from mass immigration.
    Now with so few jobs available they are branded benefit scrounging scum by the Tories or racist by labour if they complain.
    Not that it excuses abuse of immigrants, they are just people looking for a better life.
    It's the politicians and an indifferent electorate which should take the blame and the abuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people I know are more than trilingual and that includes me.

Good for you!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quick answer to the OP is "yes". People do have a right to feel aggrieved at the scale of Eastern European immigration. It's ironic how so many have been employed in the service industries, when they are poorly suited. Anyone who has travelled extensively in Eastern Europe will know that "service with a smile" is not a natural attribute there.

We said how lovely it was, recently, in Amsterdam, to be served exclusively by very friendly locals. To serve in a bar or restaurant there, you would have to be fluent in Dutch, which rules out just about everyone else. We pay the price for speaking the world language.

I do find it irksome when immigrants who set up home here, continue to talk to each other (and especially their kids) in their native tongue. It can only benefit them to become more fluent in English, and they should use the opportunity to practise it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its a bit too historical ....

Bricklaying in Dusseldorf evidently didnt need much knowledge of German .?

Equally, packing crates in a warehouse in Scunthorpe doesn't need much knowledge of English!
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one why?

Well, seeing as you said
    Its a reasonable analogy or comparison to use when dealing with attitudes regarding the seemingly very common belief that all foreigners setting foot on our green hills for longer than 2 weeks, should be as fluent in English as a professor of English Language from Oxbridge!!

I'm wondering who you thought was expressing those attitudes in this thread. I certainly didn't, which is why I wondered why you said it in response to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I do find it irksome when immigrants who set up home here, continue to talk to each other (and especially their kids) in their native tongue. It can only benefit them to become more fluent in English, and they should use the opportunity to practise it.

I don't disagree with this!