Few things bugging me

hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
Forum Member
Sorry if these have been discussed in other threads but not been on here recently so may have missed post

- first episode of S2 TW Gwen has the hump as Jack has been away for 'a long time'. I didn't think that much time had elapsed between Jack jumping on the tardis at the end of S1 and The Doctor dropping him back home at the end of LOTTLs. Or have I missed something?

- when the paradox machine is destroyed and time is reversed it goes back to just after The Master killed the US President elect so that still happened? Surely in TW you'd think there would be some mention that the British public voted in a madman who gassed the Cabinet and killed the US president if not their Himalaya trip! Or have I missed something?

- Rewatching Family of Blood episodes. There was a flash back (flash forward?) where the boy Tim is in modern day London and Martha runs by and recognises him? Was what that all about? Was it ever explained? Have I missed something ;)

Ta!

H23

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    You haven't missed anything - it was all discussed in the first episode thread

As for Tim - he was the old man at the War Memorial right at the end of FOB eps - his life had been saved by use of a FOB watch as he remembered a flash forward from when he was at school
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    - Rewatching Family of Blood episodes. There was a flash back (flash forward?) where the boy Tim is in modern day London and Martha runs by and recognises him? Was what that all about? Was it ever explained? Have I missed something ;)

I think that was just a way of portraying his sixth sense twigging that Martha was from a different place and time, presumably heightened by the Doctor's presence in the FOB watch.

Wasn't a flash-forwards in the same way as the no-man's land scene...

Regards,

Cypher
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't look like they will give a specific time for how long Jack has been away but Chris Chibnall (I think it was) said it was sometime between 2 weeks and 3 months.

Other info contadicts this though.

It's fairly certain that it was late Jan or early Feb 2008 that Jack disapeared. This is based on the dates given in TW S1 and the Missing Poster (dated Feb) for Jack that was on the Torchwood website.

Some people date the DW S3 "Present Day" stories as October 2008 (due to a Hospital calendar seen in LotTL saying it's October). This would mean Jack was gone for over 6 months. Personally I discard the October date and place the stories in April/May 2008 which fits in with the 3 months figure given above.

You would think there would have been some mention of Saxon and such in the show but the only thing was on the Torchwood website where Owens report on their trip to the Himalyas mentions it at the end.

Tim was not in the future but for a second he was in Marthas mind and glimpsed Martha as she usually appeared. We already saw he had psychic powers that were being amplified by the Watch.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Sorry if these have been discussed in other threads but not been on here recently so may have missed post

- first episode of S2 TW Gwen has the hump as Jack has been away for 'a long time'. I didn't think that much time had elapsed between Jack jumping on the tardis at the end of S1 and The Doctor dropping him back home at the end of LOTTLs. Or have I missed something?

- when the paradox machine is destroyed and time is reversed it goes back to just after The Master killed the US President elect so that still happened? Surely in TW you'd think there would be some mention that the British public voted in a madman who gassed the Cabinet and killed the US president if not their Himalaya trip! Or have I missed something?

Ta!

H23

In answer to your question. Time is relative. When The Doctor and Martha stopped off in Cardiff to refuel The TARDIS they landed several months before the events of Last of the Time Lords. When they returned using Jacks Time Vortex Manipulator they landed four days after Martha joined the TARDIS but several Months after Jack joined them.

Confused you will be. Lets see if I can explain it as simply as possible (The dates I use in this example are for illustration purposes and are not accurate)

31st March 2007 - Martha Joins the Doctor and goes gallivanting around Time and Space.

1st January 2007 – The Doctor and Martha travel to Cardiff to refuel and take off with Jack clinging to the TARDIS.

Year 100 trillion - The Doctor, Martha and Jack land on Malcassario (The planet in Utopia) and run into Prof Yana who turns into The Master who steals the TARDIS.

Approx 18 months before 31st March 2007 – The Master lands in London and assumes the Identaty of Harold Saxon and starts his plan to take over the World.

3rd April 2007 – The Doctor, Martha and Jack return to London four days after The Doctor and Martha originally left. The events unfold as in The Sound of the Drums and Last of the Time Lords. With the rollback of the year ending up back as 3rd April 2007.

Same day or maybe the following day. The Doctor and Martha drop Jack off in Cardiff at least 3 months after he left.

You have to stop thinking linear when it comes to Time Travel. Think wibbily wobbly timey wimey.

The best episodes of any Sci-fi series to deal with Time Travel are three Babylon 5 episodes. Babylon Squared in season one and War Without End (two parter) in season 3. Although it might be better to watch the series from the beginning to get the full benefit of the story.

You can buy all five seasons from Amazon for £15 each.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Personally I discard the October date and place the stories in April/May 2008 which fits in with the 3 months figure given above.
    Given that 6:30am was daylight in Cardiff in last night's episode I think we can safely say it's not set between October & late March
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The best episodes of any Sci-fi series to deal with Time Travel are three Babylon 5 episodes. Babylon Squared in season one and War Without End (two parter) in season 3.
    But even that ends up as wibbly wobbly timey wimey
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ta!

H23

There's no reason for them to mention anything, unless it has an impact on their current situation.

Same in Doctor Who, you almost never here references to previous adventures, unless it's "oh this reminds me of that" (eg introduction of the Cybermen) or "oh this was because of that" (eg the Bad Wolf explanation)

If the Yeti is discovered lurking in Cardiff's sewers I will expect a comment. ;)
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    :D
    The Slug wrote: »
    There's no reason for them to mention anything, unless it has an impact on their current situation.

Same in Doctor Who, you almost never here references to previous adventures, unless it's "oh this reminds me of that" (eg introduction of the Cybermen) or "oh this was because of that" (eg the Bad Wolf explanation)

If the Yeti is discovered lurking in Cardiff's sewers I will expect a comment. ;)

Very true. Also, why was TW never mentioned by UNIT?(obviously because the show was created recently). After watching Terror of The Zygons, it made me think that if TW would intervene during the attack on London in The Christmas Invasion and Runaway Bride, why would they stay so quiet when a bloody great sea monster is emerging from the Thames? :D Also, hundreds of people saw the monster (you could hear the screams), yet nobody seems to remember that in London in later stories like the Christmas Invasions
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »

Very true. Also, why was TW never mentioned by UNIT?(obviously because the show was created recently). After watching Terror of The Zygons, it made me think that if TW would intervene during the attack on London in The Christmas Invasion and Runaway Bride, why would they stay so quiet when a bloody great sea monster is emerging from the Thames? :D Also, hundreds of people saw the monster (you could hear the screams), yet nobody seems to remember that in London in later stories like the Christmas Invasions

Now you're just being silly. :mad:

Obviously Torchwood didn't interfere because the Doctor and UNIT had the situation under control. :rolleyes:

And thousands of people have claimed to have seen Nessie over the years and we know that they're all crackpots :eek:. So a few hundred claim to have seen her in London? So what? They're even more crazy than the rest :eek::eek:! London's full of people like that, allegedly :cool:.

I don't know, why do people try to manufacture plot holes that just don't exist? You're clearly not sophisticated enough to enjoy Doctor Who.

:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »

Very true. Also, why was TW never mentioned by UNIT?(obviously because the show was created recently). After watching Terror of The Zygons, it made me think that if TW would intervene during the attack on London in The Christmas Invasion and Runaway Bride, why would they stay so quiet when a bloody great sea monster is emerging from the Thames? :DAlso, hundreds of people saw the monster (you could hear the screams), yet nobody seems to remember that in London in later stories like the Christmas Invasions

Chemicals in the Water Supply causing Mass hallucinations.

UNIT and Torchwood are very good at coming up with cover stories, they did have to explain away why London was Evacuated for months during the early 1970's afterall (nothing to do with Time Travelling Dinosaurs of course)

Did Torchwood intervene during the Runaway Bride? I thought we just saw the Army under orders from the Minister for Defence.

My take on it is that during the 1970's TW were more of a R&D group, they left the Alien fighting to UNIT while they developed new weapons such as the Deathstar Laser used in TCI.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The Slug wrote: »
    Now you're just being silly. :mad:

Obviously Torchwood didn't interfere because the Doctor and UNIT had the situation under control. :rolleyes:

And thousands of people have claimed to have seen Nessie over the years and we know that they're all crackpots :eek:. So a few hundred claim to have seen her in London? So what? They're even more crazy than the rest :eek::eek:! London's full of people like that, allegedly :cool:.

I don't know, why do people try to manufacture plot holes that just don't exist? You're clearly not sophisticated enough to enjoy Doctor Who.

:p:D

How dare you suggest I am looking for plotholes. i know as well as the next DW viewer that there have never been any plotholes :D

You is well rude :D
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    while they developed new weapons such as the Deathstar Laser used in TCI.
    "Obtained"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Obtained"

"Liberated":D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Reverse Engineered"

As it's obvious the Deathstar laser that fired at the Sycorax (with it's beams converging from miles apart) could not have been the original one that was on the Jathar Sunglider which was quite small.