Options

fermat's theorem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Okay, when the doctor is talking to the men on the laptop, I can't tell, who does he say is killed in a duel before he can write down Fermat's Therorem? The only mathematician I know who is killed that way is Galois but it didn't sound like he said his name?
Anyone able to hear it better than me?

Comments

• Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He says "Poor old Fermat, killed in a duel before he could write it down". Given that Fermat died at 57, it was either a very ill-advised duel or the Doctor's memory is playing tricks on him. Well it had been one hell of a day :D
  • Options
    FRENCH SKYFRENCH SKY Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    As nobody has been able to prove his theorum and has driven mathermaticans mad perhaps it was good thing he was killed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FRENCH SKY wrote: »
    As nobody has been able to prove his theorum and has driven mathermaticans mad perhaps it was good thing he was killed

Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's Last Theorem in 1993, I think, using mathematical techniques from the 20th century.

Fermat alluded to a 'marvelous' proof he had dscovered in a side note, but did not give further details.

Now if Fermat did have such a proof, using mathematical techniques of the time, then it would indeed be 'marvelous'. Perhaps this is what the new Doctor hinted at.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be linked to the quote about "faster than light travel, two diagrams and a couple of lines", in that the proof was so simple and elegant as to be blindingly obvious ONCE discovered
  • Options
    FRENCH SKYFRENCH SKY Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Arthur C. Clarkes final novel deals with the matter quite nicely
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sports Fan wrote: »
    Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's Last Theorem in 1993, I think, using mathematical techniques from the 20th century.

Tha'sa right - and Simon Singh wrote an excellent book on the story of the theorm and the proof. However Wiles' proof was extremely complex and would have been the one (if, indeed he actually had one) that Fermat used. Mathematicians still suspect there's an elegant proof out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Indeed it was Galois, not Fermat that was famously killed in a duel, having spent most of the night before writing down all that he had discovered, knowing that he was about to die.

Fermat lived to (probably - records aren't clear) 57, and while the result in question is generally called his last theorem, it was by no means the last thing he wrote; it was just the last to be proved subsequent to his death.

He did write that he had found a "marvellous" proof, but could not fit it in the margin of the book where he had noted the result. Unfortunately for romantics, this was almost certainly erroneous; he never mentioned it again, but did produce a partial proof for one specific case, so it is generally thought that he must have later realised his mistake.

Of course, the above is the case in our own current timeline; The Doctor's influence no doubt altered events as we know them.