3view - Take a look at this Freeview HD box (merged)

Comments

• Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Oh dear!

For the past few days John Lewis was listing the 3view as "available to pre-order" Delivery expected in 3 weeks.

Today they say "out of stock" with the possibility to get an email when BACK IN STOCK. I tried to make a fictitious pre-order but it wasn't accepted as "item out of stock"

My conclusion :
    either they have given up on an imminent delivery or their first arrivals have already been allocated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digitl wrote: »
    That's correct, which I why I was a little confused with your description of your earlier attempts

Yes sorry, a couple of days ago after reading you were now able to insert any letters you like in the search box, I made the mistaken assumption that the wishlist feature was no longer restricted to the current EPG. The purpose and power of a keyword timer is really nice but I'd remove the feature until the restrictions are lifted, if they can - what do you think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    That's correct, which I why I was a little confused with your description of your earlier attempts when I outlined how to set up a wishlist. I reported the limitation to 3view some time ago and the comment came back that it was a consequence of the box trying to be 'too helpful'. I don't know whether or not they'll continue to use the EPG as a dictionary or whether they'll allow free text. I hope it's the latter.
    Thanks Marc, very useful info.

The fact that the keywords are reliant on the EPG is a big disappointment and very much reduces the usefulness of this facility.
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear!

For the past few days John Lewis was listing the 3view as "available to pre-order" Delivery expected in 3 weeks.

Today they say "out of stock" with the possibility to get an email when BACK IN STOCK. I tried to make a fictitious pre-order but it wasn't accepted as "item out of stock"

My conclusion :
    either they have given up on an imminent delivery or their first arrivals have already been allocated.

You pays your money & take your choice,not the first time JL have done this,play.com still saying 3rd Sept availability. Order direct from 3view their promising Aug27th,don't be fooled by JL giving "free" 2 year warranty,your entitled to that whoever you buy from now,courtesy the wonderful EU!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    Order direct from 3view their promising Aug27th,
    According to the AV thread, new customers ordering from 3view direct won't see a box 'till end of September at the earliest.

If JL do get some in they may be the best bet for this side of Christmas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    hi
    this is probably a silly question but....

Has the box got some way of fitting an external IR receiver as I want to put it inside a cabinet?

or can someone suggest a device that would do this (fairly cheaply)

thanks
    Mike
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j.rockstar wrote: »
    According to the AV thread, new customers ordering from 3view direct won't see a box 'till end of September at the earliest.

If JL do get some in they may be the best bet for this side of Christmas

Ok,hadn't seen that,could be play.com then for Sept 3rd if they manage to get any,anybody spotted the HGV yet? or a man on a bike with a large saddle bag! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpooley wrote: »
    hi
    this is probably a silly question but....

Has the box got some way of fitting an external IR receiver as I want to put it inside a cabinet?

or can someone suggest a device that would do this (fairly cheaply)

thanks
    Mike

Never seen a PVR or any device with external IR option,hasn't your cabinet got glass doors?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Never seen a PVR or any device with external IR option,hasn't your cabinet got glass doors?

my old tivo had one I think.

No it wouldnt be a problem if I had glass doors. solid wood i'm afraid
  • digitldigitl Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the AV thread, new customers ordering from 3view direct won't see a box 'till end of September at the earliest

September was a mistake, should've been August.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    September was a mistake, should've been August.
    End of August is the date for pre-orders from 3view isn't it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Just preparing a space in my cabinet for the long awaited 3view box.

Regarding the audio output, I don't have a digital input on my existing amplifier, just RCA sockets and I don't have a new- fangled home cinema sound system. Is there a viable way I can convert digital to analogue to connect in to my trusty Rotel amplifier?

The only other option I can see is to take an output from the headphone socket on my TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    tonytof wrote: »
    Just preparing a space in my cabinet for the long awaited 3view box.

Regarding the audio output, I don't have a digital input on my existing amplifier, just RCA sockets and I don't have a new- fangled home cinema sound system. Is there a viable way I can convert digital to analogue to connect in to my trusty Rotel amplifier?

The only other option I can see is to take an output from the headphone socket on my TV.
    You could possibly get a scart to phono adapter (assuming you would use HDMI to connect to the TV).

Alternatively you could get a DAC which would take the output from the optical socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End of August is the date for pre-orders from 3view isn't it
    That's right, though they haven't said they won't have any spare for any newer orders as far as I know. If you have a look at the thread referred to above, the September -> August correction is made a couple or so posts further down the page.
  • diandavediandave Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Sky HDMI connection switches my Panasonic which is a fairly recent 50" plasma ok,still no response from one of the 3view testers

The 3view box does not autoswitch from HDMI.

I was quite surprised how soft the pictures were in SD with the new Humax Freeview HDR-FOX T2 compared to the 3view, which are pin sharp, both boxes gave excellent pictures in HD.
    I feel those who jumped ship from 3view, and purchased the Humax box, could be slightly disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Basically HDMI doesn't auto-switch, with a small number of exceptions.

Sony and Panasonic developed CEC, which performs auto-switching of HDMI (along with varous other functions) - but (as far as I know) so far only Panasonic and Sony products provide CEC. So a Sony BD Player will auto-switch on a Sony TV (and presumably on a Panasonic one?), but a Sky HD box won't, nor will a Humax one. I wouldn't expect the 3View HD box to switch either?.

It lloks as if a few more manufacturers are on board with CEC, From Wikipedia {so it must be right ;)):

Trade names for CEC are Anynet (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, and VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).
    Forum Member
    That's right, though they haven't said they won't have any spare for any newer orders as far as I know. If you have a look at the thread referred to above, the September -> August correction is made a couple or so posts further down the page.

Unfortunately the first consignment will not satisfy demand, the second will follow soon after....:)
  • zombie woofzombie woof Posts: 6,906
    Forum Member
    diandave wrote: »
    I feel those who jumped ship from 3view, and purchased the Humax box, could be slightly disappointed.
    Perhaps they actually wanted to record something off the telly? Just a guess.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they actually wanted to record something off the telly? Just a guess.

Personally, I think the quality justifies the wait.
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think the quality justifies the wait.
    Unless you've missed a program you wanted to record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the first consignment will not satisfy demand, the second will follow soon after....:)
    That's correct, which is why mmalamos and I asked for ours to be put back into the pool so they could be allocated to those who had pre-ordered. We are expecting ours to come out of the second batch which, when I posted earlier, hadn't appreciated may be into September due to the Bank Holiday. Doesn't time fly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite surprised how soft the pictures were in SD with the new Humax Freeview HDR-FOX T2 compared to the 3view, which are pin sharp, both boxes gave excellent pictures in HD.
    Glad you confirmed the PQ. I've been asked about it more than once and have said how good/superior I thought it was, but was concerned that I might have got it wrong as it was a subjective judgement.
    Forum Member
    Glad you confirmed the PQ. I've been asked about it more than once and have said how good/superior I thought it was, but was concerned that I might have got it wrong as it was a subjective judgement.

No I don't think you got it wrong, Iv'e yet to see better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    That's correct, which is why mmalamos and I asked for ours to be put back into the pool so they could be allocated to those who had pre-ordered. We are expecting ours to come out of the second batch which, when I posted earlier, hadn't appreciated may be into September due to the Bank Holiday. Doesn't time fly!

But surley August 27th was guaranteed. :D
    Forum Member
    Are there 4 beta testers on this thread?