Female Doctor...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think of the rumours of a female Doctor? I do hope they remain rumours as I feel it would totally spoil the show. Yes they're saying it could be Billie, and considering she's my favourite actress, I would love that. But deep down I know that it would tear up the show completely.

x

www.mcleanamy.co.uk
www.youtube.com/tvcriticamy
www.twitter.com/mcleanamy

Comments

• DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    the doctor is the male of the species known as timelord! :rolleyes:

This has been around since TB joked that it might be a woman in 1980 when he announced his departure and it has been a tabloid favourite ever since. It will never happen! Nuff sed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think of the rumours of a female Doctor? I do hope they remain rumours as I feel it would totally spoil the show. Yes they're saying it could be Billie, and considering she's my favourite actress, I would love that. But deep down I know that it would tear up the show completely.

x

www.mcleanamy.co.uk

What rumour?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What rumour?

There's been 'discussions' basically since Billie left. No official statements or anything, just gossip, suggesting the next Doctor might be female etc. I doubt (and hope) it'll ever happen! x
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This idea has been coming up every so often for thirty years. It hasn't happened yet and it never will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This idea has been coming up every so often for thirty years. It hasn't happened yet and it never will.

Here's hoping!

x

www.mcleanamy.co.uk
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I think it would be brilliant. I'm not resistant to change, you see. Why shouldn't the Doctor be female? He's fictional and, hold the front page, anything can happen to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, those rumours. Nothing to them, at least as far as Billy goes - maybe a woman at some point in the future, but not too soon. I don't think they're brave enough to mess with the format that much yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    I think it would be brilliant. I'm not resistant to change, you see. Why shouldn't the Doctor be female? He's fictional and, hold the front page, anything can happen to him.
    No. He may be fictional, but he's still male.
    Oh, those rumours. Nothing to them, at least as far as Billy goes - maybe a woman at some point in the future, but not too soon. I don't think they're brave enough to mess with the format that much yet.

If they haven't yet, they never will.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Come on. A time LORD is male! why not go the whole hog! Let's make Father Christmas a woman! Father Time can become Mother time!

Girls can join the Boy Scouts and Boy Cubs you know! But boys can't be a brownie or girl guide!

Boys roles for the boys. Girls roles for the girls. Let's just keep it that way. The day Doctor Who becomes PC dominated is the day I stop watching.
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Come on. A time LORD is male! why not go the whole hog! Let's make Father Christmas a woman! Father Time can become Mother time!

Girls can join the Boy Scouts and Boy Cubs you know! But boys can't be a brownie or girl guide!

Boys roles for the boys. Girls roles for the girls. Let's just keep it that way. The day Doctor Who becomes PC dominated is the day I stop watching.

Dear oh dear. Blue for boys and pink for girls? :rolleyes:

You know as well as I do that we know next to nothing about Gallifreyan or Time Lord biology. There is zero evidence to suggest that gender can't be altered.

I don't see why a female actor playing the Doctor would be "PC".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. He may be fictional, but he's still male.

If they haven't yet, they never will.

That's right ting. Nothing ever happens that hasn't happened before.

I'm not advocating the switch, but imagine this scenario: It's 2026. Doctor Who's ratings have been falling steadily for the past seven years. The show has been lumbered with falling budgets, an unpopular Doctor, and a rubbish (hypothetical future) production team. They are desperately trying to regain public and media interest, when they come up with a bright idea to generate free publicity and whip up controversy: "I know, lets make the doctor into a woman".

Nobody wants to see this happen to the show, but it is ridiculous to discount this kind of scenario, or the countless other (no doubt more pleasant) situations in which the show could concievably throw up a female doctor, on the basis that it hasn't happened before. Please have the imagination befitting a doctor who fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear oh dear. Blue for boys and pink for girls? :rolleyes:

You know as well as I do that we know next to nothing about Gallifreyan or Time Lord biology. There is zero evidence to suggest that gender can't be altered.

I don't see why a female actor playing the Doctor would be "PC".

There is even less evidence to suggest that it can. Aside from anything else, if Susan actually was a Time Lord (which I doubt), David Campbell could be in for a nasty surprise one day in that case.

Incidentally, pink used to be the colour for boys and blue for girls. Don't know why I mentioned that, just found it interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is even less evidence to suggest that it can. Aside from anything else, if Susan actually was a Time Lord (which I doubt), David Campbell could be in for a nasty surprise one day in that case.

Incidentally, pink used to be the colour for boys and blue for girls. Don't know why I mentioned that, just found it interesting.

As it is possible for humans to change genders, why exactly would it be impossible for far more technically advanced timelords to switch?
    Forum Member
    There is even less evidence to suggest that it can.

Less than zero? Can you put your workings in the margin? :)

Didn't know about the blue/pink thing so at least I feel a little enlightened!
    As it is possible for humans to change genders, why exactly would it be impossible for far more technically advanced timelords to switch?

Exactly. You are right. Mods, close the thread, please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fine for comedy specials like children in need or something...but for real, no - can't see it ever happening. if it was - it would have happened by now or everyone would be discussing why he landed on being a man so many times before being a woman.

and if they EVER did it - it most definatly could not be someone who had already been on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I like the idea for a comedy special, but not for a serious reign. x
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    The only way that The Doctor becoming female could work is if the writers made it something that is not supposed to happen. I would even go as far as to make it a taboo subject in time lord society.

You could then show The Doctor trying to recover his/her confidence after having this happen to him/her.

Unfortunately the writing for this scenario would have to be very good (Joss Whedon good in fact) for it to work.

I just don’t think that the BBC would allow such a risk to be taken with their flagship series.

So I very much doubt it will ever happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is the best point anyone has ever put forward!!!!!:D:D

On a personal level...I do like my Time Lord to stay male for now....but that is the female in me talking:o....seriously though if it one day happens I am sure if the actor is good enough for the role I will love her too...but I hope it happens because she is the best person for the role...and not for the sake of controversy....because the show is such that it doesn't need a female lead for the sake of it....there is plenty of Girl power....and I love that the Doctor and his companions are more or less equal....they are who they are...not because one is female and the other is male...

so yeah the best person for the role is how it should be....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't really want to go there, except to say that as far as I'm concerned: it isn't. You are what you're born, whatever you choose to do to your body. And sorry, but I won't be drawn any further on that subject. The Doctor is male, end of.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really want to go there, except to say that as far as I'm concerned: it isn't. You are what you're born, whatever you choose to do to your body. And sorry, but I won't be drawn any further on that subject. The Doctor is male, end of.

Well it is. Whether you like it or not. Would I like the doctor to be female. NO, but like crazzy, I think the female in me is talking:).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yawn.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_change
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously humans can change gender with a great deal of trouble and difficulty, and so probably Timelords could do so as well, perhaps more easily.

But.......please, not my Timelord:(

I'm with ting on this. The Doctor is male. End of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously humans can change gender with a great deal of trouble and difficulty, and so probably Timelords could do so as well, perhaps more easily.

But.......please, not my Timelord:(

I'm with ting on this. The Doctor is male. End of.

I'm not saying that it should happen, only that it could. Lots of things happen in television that aren't good for the shows they happen to.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying that it should happen, only that it could. Lots of things happen in television that aren't good for the shows they happen to.

Very true.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could, in the future, have the doctor, in his last incarnation, as an elderly man who barely travels anymore. Instead he offers advice and encouragement to a young Time Lady who basically takes on the role of the gallifreyan time travellor but not actually as the Doctor. That way, it could still be called Doctor Who but could have the main character female!