Options

Fern Britton hates Doctor Who

124»

Comments

• Options
    Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know what, for all the nerdy fan chatter and over analysis of the smallest detail in and episode 30 years ago, all the fan boy and girl 'Comic Guy' from The Simpsons nonsense I'd always thought Who fans were above this sort of nasty backstabbing over personal attacks.

I'd rather someone over egg the stereotypical image of a Who/sci-fi fan than be associated and be known as that than Z list bitchy school girls.

Lets have a bit if pride eh!

Let me just check though - has't she just accepted money for going on a whole episode of a tv show that does exactly the same thing?

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gives a fig what Fearn Mutton thinks???? Anyone on the forum who agrees with me raise their glasses and say 'eye'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Who gives a fig what Fearn Mutton thinks???? Anyone on the forum who agrees with me raise their glasses and say 'eye'

'Eye' Allen - what's ur tipple? I'm on the san miguel tonight. Ibiza reunion dontcha know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'ewe'
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    'Eye' Allen - what's ur tipple? I'm on the san miguel tonight. Ibiza reunion dontcha know.

Good man ha ha - very good man :D I had those days once. Make sure you see the sun going down outside Cafe Del Mar... you'll regret it if you don't see that one fella
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    alwatson wrote: »
    Fetch my shotgun.

Don't you mean Elephant Gun!:eek::D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about anyone else but what made me feel better about watching Fern Brittan spouting of last night was that Robert Webb and Frank Skinner actually stuck up for Doctor Who and Sci-Fi in general. I think this is a better format than when Michael Grade was on there where they went out of their way to back up what he was saying with the Warriors Of The Deep Clip. At least in this new series there is balance.

And talking of balance, I did at least agree with her on the homework thing but that's another topic completely! :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I agree with her on homework :D

I'm not a big Who person and its fine if she doesnt like it or sci-fi, but her argument seemed to be "It's not real" :confused: That didnt explain anything. The clue is in the name FICTION, stupid woman.
    Its the same reason why so much sci-fi has futuristic settings, though the new Who is set in the "present"! (kinda). :rolleyes: Merlin is fantasy yet is set in the past!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I agree with her on homework :D

I'm not a big Who person and its fine if she doesnt like it or sci-fi, but her argument seemed to be "It's not real" :confused: That didnt explain anything. The clue is in the name FICTION, stupid woman.
    Its the same reason why so much sci-fi has futuristic settings, though the new Who is set in the "present"! (kinda). :rolleyes: Merlin is fantasy yet is set in the past!

What about Torchwood, set very much in present day! (Not that Miracle Day was that much Sci-Fi)

I think the two things that bugged me was that she didn't really base her arguments on any real fact, such as we've just mentioned, and that the fact that she labelled everyone who likes Sci-Fi nerds. Not everyone who likes Sci-Fi are nerds, it's just an expression I absolutely hate as I know people from all walks of life who like Doctor Who and other sci-fi, but they aren't all people who fit the stereotypical image of what a nerd is supposed to be. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What about Torchwood, set very much in present day! (Not that Miracle Day was that much Sci-Fi)

I think the two things that bugged me was that she didn't really base her arguments on any real fact, such as we've just mentioned, and that the fact that she labelled everyone who likes Sci-Fi nerds. Not everyone who likes Sci-Fi are nerds, it's just an expression I absolutely hate as I know people from all walks of life who like Doctor Who and other sci-fi, but they aren't all people who fit the stereotypical image of what a nerd is supposed to be. :rolleyes:

Of course, forgot about Torchwood! :) I had watched some of that actually (earlier episodes) and quite liked it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she labelled everyone who likes Sci-Fi nerds.

I've been banging on about her opinion quite a bit and this is what bugs me -
    She goes out of her way to slag off sci-fi and names Dr Who in particular as "dreary". Not Eastenders, not Jeremy Kyle, not Loose Women, not the endless slew or reality shows that follow vacuous celebrities about - but Dr Who.
    Whatever Dr Who might be, it aint dreary.

This is someone who works in "The Biz" and thinks it's smart to slag of the hard work of writers, crew, designers and SFX people - all of whom work hard to produce something.
    I thought if you moved in these circles you would show a bit of respect for other peoples efforts - the woman has no dignity.

She earns her money languishing in the cesspit that produces filler crap for chavs like ready steady cook and unimaginitive filth like This Morning that's obsessed with the likes of Peter Andre and Kerry Katona. If that aint f*****g dreary love - I don't know what is!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor is cool, ok?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    The Doctor is cool, ok?:)

Yeah the Nicks Rule!
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the rerun of the episode on iplayer and in context, she was just trying to put sci fi in room 101. These shows are obviously scripted and she was probably told to put that in as a. Comedy opportunity for Skinner (and Webb as it turned out).

So I doubt if Fern actually cares about DW, one way or the other really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the rerun of the episode on iplayer and in context, she was just trying to put sci fi in room 101. These shows are obviously scripted and she was probably told to put that in as a. Comedy opportunity for Skinner (and Webb as it turned out).

So I doubt if Fern actually cares about DW, one way or the other really.

She's still a fat cow though!
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    She's still a fat cow though!

Well yeah, there is that.. :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's quite attractive myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is disgusting to sit and personally attack a person just because she dislikes a show you like! Thats pathetic!

I like Doctor Who but just because my friends hate it doesnt mean I can personally insult them for it. If she doesnt like the show then fair enough shes entitled to her opinion it doesnt stop me from enjoying it and it doesnt upset me in any way like it has some people on here. Get a life.
  • Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Fern Britton, lets create a thread :D
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth are people so agitated by the fact that someone doesn't like something that you do? Blimey there's plenty of people who don't like Doctor Who - I don't see the need to attack them for it though...

Some pathetic posts in this thread.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I hate sci-fi as it's not real,' she says. Well, nor is any other fictional drama!

The other fictional drama stories could happen today, she means the sci-fi elements of the stories, time travel, sonic screwdrivers, time paradoxes, the lot. It's a valid opinion, she just presented it a bit confrontationally and looking down at sci-fi fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Why on earth are people so agitated by the fact that someone doesn't like something that you do? Blimey there's plenty of people who don't like Doctor Who - I don't see the need to attack them for it though...

Some pathetic posts in this thread.
    IvanIV wrote: »
    The other fictional drama stories could happen today, she means the sci-fi elements of the stories, time travel, sonic screwdrivers, time paradoxes, the lot. It's a valid opinion, she just presented it a bit confrontationally and looking down at sci-fi fans.

Biomax, I think Ivan has summed it up in a nutshell why people are annoyed with what she said. I think the majority of right-minded people on this thread accept Fern Brittan is entitled to her opinion to not like sci-fi. And most of them have nothing against Fern Brittan herself(aside from the small minority in some posts above).

What they do have a problem with, though, is that she went one step further and preceded to attack those who do watch sci-fi and on top of that she didn't in my view give proper sound arguments to back up her viewpoints. Compare that to her argument on Homework and Tea parties and then Robert Webb's argument on the Jeremy Kyle show. In all three cases some very sound arguments were made.

To be fair to most people in this thread, all they have done is reacted as if Fern herself had come onto this forum and started a thread saying I don't like Doctor Who with those arguments! :D