Options

errr...the olympics aren't over yet!

ray.ray.returnsray.ray.returns Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Paralympics are still to come. Unless of course you are discriminating against them, or, don't like the fact that Tom Daley and Andy Murrey won't be in them :mad: I wonder who will sponsor them and if they will get an extravagant opening / closing ceremony?

I think its about time the two events merged anyway to be honest. I don't mean have half athletes on legs and half on wheelchairs, I mean have a leg race and a wheelchair race. That way its all clumped together and we aren't segregating them.

Comments

• Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    The Paralympics are still to come. Unless of course you are discriminating against them, or, don't like the fact that Tom Daley and Andy Murrey won't be in them :mad: I wonder who will sponsor them and if they will get an extravagant opening / closing ceremony?

I think its about time the two events merged anyway to be honest. I don't mean have half athletes on legs and half on wheelchairs, I mean have a leg race and a wheelchair race. That way its all clumped together and we aren't segregating them.

They have the same sponsors in tier 1 Visa, Acer, Coca Cola, McDonalds. P & G, Panasonic, Lloyds plus Sainsburys
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    No I'm looking forward to them and I shall be supporting Will Bayley the Table Tennis player who was in one of the adverts for it. Cute and nice guy.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Paralympics and really looking forward to them. But it's the wait between that's a horrible reminder we are over half way done for good and at 32 I may not be alive the next time we have the Olympics again.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be looking forward to the Paralympics but I think the time has come to start thinking about other things again. My business won't pay for itself. :)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Olympics are a bigger draw than the Paralympics. It's just a fact. Get over it OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paralympics only started being held in the same venue as the Olympics in Seoul 1988

History of the Paralympics http://www.paralympics.org.uk/games/games-by-games
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    The Olympics are not the same event as the Paralympics. The 'Olympics' are finished, ended, over. The Paralympics has not started yet.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the two events should be merged. A combined event would just be too big and the paralympic events would be relegated to a side show. The current system is good as it gives a 2 week break in between and allows the Paralympics to be centre stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha! Just seen an advert on Channel 4 and it ends with the caption "Thanks For The Warm Up!" :D
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are two seperate events and the logistics of putting them on simultaneously to avoid 'discrimination' don't bear thinking about

One of, if not the, daftest ideas put forward this summer
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless of course you are discriminating against them...

Why is it discrimination to not have any interest in the Paralympic Games?

They are not the same as the Olympics - they will pull far smaller audiences and I'm not sorry to say that I will be watching little or none of it. Discrimination? If you say so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unless of course you are discriminating against them,

Bring on just one Paralympian who would want us to be bullied or emotionally blackmailed into watching them.

You won't find them and they don't want anyone's sympathy.

I shall be watching it because I want to.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are two seperate events and the logistics of putting them on simultaneously to avoid 'discrimination' don't bear thinking about

One of, if not the, daftest ideas put forward this summer
    It sounds alright in theory, but not possible in practice as many events are unique and if not still require significant adaptation of the venue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to Sky News their has been a massive surge in people wanting tickets to the Paralympics this morning, so looks like it's going to be great and well attended.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paralympics are still to come. Unless of course you are discriminating against them, or, don't like the fact that Tom Daley and Andy Murrey won't be in them :mad:

That's quite a stupid assumption to make.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member

BIB - considering there are about 20 100m races alone in the Paralympics, it's a pretty stupid idea.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tickets for the Paralympics and can't wait. At the moment have athletics tickets tried to get some equestrian today, but none available. It has been reported that they had already sold more tickets for the Paralympics in London than any other in history, and that was the beginning of last week. Fingers crossed the support for Team GB and all the other athletes matches that of what we have seen the last two weeks, at all venues.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    I have tickets for the Paralympics and can't wait. At the moment have athletics tickets tried to get some equestrian today, but none available. It has been reported that they had already sold more tickets for the Paralympics in London than any other in history, and that was the beginning of last week. Fingers crossed the support for Team GB and all the other athletes matches that of what we have seen the last two weeks, at all venues.

I got tickets to the equestrian about a month ago but I looked last week & only monday morning was for sale.

The 5 a side was sold quickly.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Ha! Just seen an advert on Channel 4 and it ends with the caption "Thanks For The Warm Up!" :D

Saw that on a huge billboard today.:D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    According to Sky News their has been a massive surge in people wanting tickets to the Paralympics this morning, so looks like it's going to be great and well attended.

I'm not surprised. There's such a feel good factor around. Great news for the Paralympic athletes.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst they don't interest me in the slightest, presently being all "Olympiced ou,t" I'm sure it will be a well run and spectacular event.

However I think they all deserve medals, for the following reason.

There's rarely "the same disability."
    Often there is marginal difference.
    Also similar disabilities can affect different people in different ways.
    So regardless of what handicap system is used and these can be subjective (by the way, I think I should be on a much higher golf handicap than I am) I believe it is impossible to create a completely level playing field.
    So the effort required by some to perform whatever task, can me marginally be greater than it is for others. This will of course, can be the difference between winning and losing.
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they put more in the closing ceremony about the paralympics ? I don't think Seb Coe mentioned it in his speech.

At the flag handover couldn't they have a paralympic handover too ?

Just before they put out the stadium flame, couldn't they light a torch for the paralympics, keeping the continuity of the flame for the lauch of the relay ?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbyd wrote: »
    Why don't they put more in the closing ceremony about the paralympics ? I don't think Seb Coe mentioned it in his speech.

At the flag handover couldn't they have a paralympic handover too ?

Just before they put out the stadium flame, couldn't they light a torch for the paralympics, keeping the continuity of the flame for the lauch of the relay ?

They wouldn't like that, the dousing of the flame dignifies closure.
    The Paralympics is a separate event, with it's own traditions etc.,
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Winter Olympics is a separate event too.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Olympics and Paralympics are administered by the International Olympic Committee and the International Paralympic Committee respectively, which, contrary to some beliefs, are actually completely separate organisations.

They currently use the same cities and venues by means of signed agreements. Until 1988, the Paralympics (or Games for the Disabled as they were referred to before then) were not regularly held in the same country as the Olympics, let alone the same city.

Another example is Macau, which competes in the Paralympics as they are an IPC member, but do not compete in the Olympics as they are not an IOC member, despite years of trying.