Options

Could Kingston, Jamaica, bid for the Games ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
With Bolt leading their delegation in...20-

Comments

• Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    They could, but the city needs to be drastically re-developed beforehand. Montego Bay would be a more likely choice.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine if Switzerland got the games.

Where would they do the sailing?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of lakes in Switzerland.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Imagine if Switzerland got the games.

Where would they do the sailing?

In Munich ( which is miles from the sea) they held them way way up north in Kiel, North coast. Dont forget in the past the equestrian events were held in different countries to the host country

1956 - Melbourne held in Stockholm

2008 - Beijing - Hong Kong
  • Options
    Stone_JonesStone_Jones Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    If they got 9 billion quid spare, yep! It would be best if poorer countries came together as one united bid for the games. That way various countries could take the burden of the cost. Be a bit unfair on just one poor country to have to fund the entire event.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    If they got 10 billion quid spare, yep!
    I don't think they have!!

If we're talking smaller countries, how about Auckland? That would be a good games.
  • Options
    Stone_JonesStone_Jones Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    New Zealand? The air fare might cost a bit!
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to Jamaica for my summer holiday most years, off there next month. The country is really not in a financial position to take on the games, certainly not in Kingston. There is a lot of regeneration going on, and has been for many years. When so many families are still living in shacks and some children only able to go to school in the mornings or afternoon, funds are rightly being used to slowly rectify this.
    However if and when it is in the position to be able to hold a games, the people will make it amazing. The reason we go so much, is because we find the Jamaicans such a warm and friendly bunch, and are looking forward to seeing old friends again. Also Kingston is very different to the rest of Jamaica.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps in celebration of their medals there could be a joint appliction which takes in Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados, Jamaica and so on. They could scatter the events around between them...Jamaica would get the sprinting obviously. :D
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    No they couldn't, not even in Montego Bay, and I say this as someone who had been to Jamaica many times travelling throughout the country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I don't think they have!!

If we're talking smaller countries, how about Auckland? That would be a good games.

New Zealand could barely cope when they hosted te Rugby World Cup, I don't know if they'd be able to handle the Olympics.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given their overall GDP is roughly £10bn, give or take a few quid, I somehow don't think it'll be happening any time soon.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Cuba will ever host it..
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I wonder if Cuba will ever host it..
    If they did the USA might not attend...second place here we come. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Caribbean Games...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Zealand could barely cope when they hosted te Rugby World Cup, I don't know if they'd be able to handle the Olympics.

be interesing to see how Rio copes - but IMO outside of Europe , USA, Japan, S Korea and Australia and mabye South Africa I don't think there are now many other countries who could now realistically be in a posistion strong enough to hold a major sporting event like the Olympcs or WorldCup.