Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Anyone know any bars in Sydney that show F1 practice from Asian channels?

Cheers
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g255060-d3674033-Reviews-Cheers_Bar-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html
    Jp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Conversely I never had a problem with Legard

I'll probably be lynched for saying that in this thread.

Now that we have Ben Edwards can now see what the fuss was about, don't miss Brundle 1 jot, only one I miss is Kravitz

I tend to agree. Edwards/Coulthard is fine. In some ways it's a better pairing than Croft/Brundle, because Croft has a tendency to whitter on about asinine trivia.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Legard commentating on practice for radio? TV viewers are getting short intro with Perry and Anderson, Gow in pitlane and Edwards in commentary. Completely missing 5 minute sting as well. Are Sky still taking ad breaks?
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live are simulcasting with BBC2.

It's a little disappointing that Ben hasn't got another person to talk to in the box. It's the not the same as it used to be on the red button
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    It's odd, ON AIR's listing for the coverage specified that Coulthard would be alongside Edwards in the Practice sessions. Dunno where they got that from, because there's no mention of him.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very disappointed with the BBC's offering today. Cutting away from the world feed on several occasions for interviews, plus a feature in the McLaren garage by Suzi Perry that could easily have gone in the pre-quali build-up. It's almost as though they've taken everything that was bad with Sky's practice coverage from last year and put it together.

Really poor when you consider how good the Beeb's coverage has been of practice in the last few years, there was no reason to change it at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the commentary from Croft and Chanduck in the practice today.
    Chanduck quite a natural on the mic.

Nice use of the split screen again on sky too for pit and interviews.

That range rover advert water hose sound coming through DD on sky, is loud, panning and quadrophonic like, nice!
    Makes me want to hunt out my bbc radiophonic sound archive collection and have a play.
    Still, at least we do not have to suffer santander.

Whats with the ontrack advertising this weekend, seems to be loads of it.
    Camera focus starting and ending on an ad while tracking the cars.
    That dhl overly bright yellow ad takes up half the screen near the end of the lap. Looks computer generated.

Very poor pictures on BBC HD channel for practice, they were definitely not HD and not listed as so, but looked poor quality.
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Very poor pictures on BBC HD channel for practice, they were definitely not HD and not listed as so, but looked poor quality.

The intro looked ok but I wondered about the world feed pics too - looked upscaled. Odd.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the BBC's coverage today. Step up on last year.They cut away to many times in the first session but were fine in the second.

Ben need's someone to talk to. But apart fro that it was great stuff. Practice is now a proper show covered properly instead of being thrown together on the red button.

As I say The second session was a perfect balance of cutting away and staying with the world feed. Garry Anderson is brilliant. The practice shows are his shows already.

He got more air time today than any other session on TV last year.

It's the first time they have done it and I am impressed. Get someone alongside Ben though. It was in HD as well.

Excellent. :)

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the commentary from Croft and Chanduck in the practice today.
    Chanduck quite a natural on the mic.

Nice use of the split screen again on sky too for pit and interviews.

That range rover advert water hose sound coming through DD on sky, is loud, panning and quadrophonic like, nice!
    Makes me want to hunt out my bbc radiophonic sound archive collection and have a play.
    Still, at least we do not have to suffer santander.

Whats with the ontrack advertising this weekend, seems to be loads of it.
    Camera focus starting and ending on an ad while tracking the cars.
    That dhl overly bright yellow ad takes up half the screen near the end of the lap. Looks computer generated.

Rubbish they were defiantly HD pictures. They may not have been as good as sky's but they were HD pictures. Please don't go down the picture quality argument.

Ken
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I enjoyed the BBC's coverage today. Step up on last year.They cut away to many times in the first session but were fine in the second.

Ben need's someone to talk to. But apart fro that it was great stuff. Practice is now a proper show covered properly instead of being thrown together on the red button.

As I say The second session was a perfect balance of cutting away and staying with the world feed. Garry Anderson is brilliant. The practice shows are his shows already.

It's the first time they have done it and I am impressed. Get someone alongside Ben though. It was in HD as well.

Ken

i watched the second practice, i thought gary was good.. they should of had someone with ben..
    i thought suzi did well in the McLaren pits and it was good they allowed her in it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched the second practice, i thought gary was good.. they should of had someone with ben..
    i thought suzi did well in the McLaren pits and it was good they allowed her in it...

Did you see Eddie walk behind Suzi and Garry at the start?

He looked like he hugged someone! :D

Ken
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Did you see Eddie walk behind Suzi and Garry at the start?

He looked like he hugged someone! :D

Ken

Before he disappeared off the right of the screen he appeared to be attempting to stick an orange rectangular object down the back of his trousers!!! :o
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOON FAN wrote: »
    Sky's running orders for the weekend. Wonder how many times we'll hear the words "stunning hd".

https://twitter.com/SkyF1Insider/status/322327891423657984

Reminds me of a few years ago on their rugby coverage, the commentator was doing a HD plug and said something along the lines of "and these days it's got to be HD, it just has to be". Three seasons on, and Sky are still serving up their alternative matches in rotten SD.

It's the same with their F1 - we know there's a HD feed of the pitlane channel, we've seen them use it on their post-race analysis. But for all the plugging they do of their red button and HD features, the red button screens are in SD. If you're going to ram it down our throats, at least make sure you're actually providing all of the service. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    ptl141 wrote: »

Looks like Johnny Herbert to me
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing how we managed all these years watching the coverage in plain old SD. ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    It was originally down for 8pm Tuesday, but was moved to Thursday because of live football on Tuesday.

That makes sense, thanks Arius. :)
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Thanks mate I'll give it a look

What about Melbourne?

What am I... the Aussie Tourist Bureau ??

http://www.charlesdickenstavern.com.au/

Fun place run by surly Serbians
    Jp
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Nice to see FOM take the world-feed Full-screen on the pits channel for the end of session Highlights & for Sky to stick with them through to the end :cool:

Both should be done for every session including the race ;)
    Here's the FP1 highlights:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyyhfk_shanghai-fp1-highlights-hd_auto#.UWhcd0pc1mN

Sadly FOM didn't take them full-screen on pits channel for the end of FP2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just watched the f1 show, really enjoyed the feature with Croft, Jonathan Noble and Kevin Eason, great to keep rotating in different people and opinions, especially with all the controversy at the minute! Good stuff. Sometimes all you need for a good feature is some wine and a good balcony backdrop (maybe the surly Serbians operate by the same principle?!). Looking forward to hear what EJ has to say about the Red Bull shemozzle tomorrow :)
  • Options
    gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Agree with the others Edwards needs another pundit in the box, thought he coped well without though. Guess this might be another downside to the move to bbc2, they can't just grab any random free driver and stick them in the box for the session.
    I wish the BBC would pack in the sensationalist "This is the 1st year that we have shown the practice sessions live on the BBC" lie. ALL 3 PRACTICE SESSIONS WERE ON THE RED BUTTON, WEBSITE AND IPLAYER IN 2009, 2010 AND 2011. THE BBC LIVE WEEKEND SESSIONS WERE ON THE RED BUTTON, WEBSITE AND IPLAYER IN 2012. :mad:

I think the shift to bbc2 is going to be significant for viewing figures at least -Silverstone or Canada could easily have the highest viewing figures recorded for free practice, would be interested to see what today's sessions got.
  • Options
    Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ken

This. Vanilla practice has me zoning out on occasion. The odd interview/feature helps sustain interest. Another pundit alongside Ben would help but v impressed he managed to keep it going for almost 3 hours.
    I see they used Prime/Option in the opening tyre VT in FP1. Wish they'd just use that designation permanently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Furt wrote: »
    This. Vanilla practice has me zoning out on occasion. The odd interview/feature helps sustain interest. Another pundit alongside Ben would help but v impressed he managed to keep it going for almost 3 hours.
    I see they used Prime/Option in the opening tyre VT in FP1. Wish they'd just use that designation permanently.

I used to fast forward (When Recorded) the nothing bit's before but now it's a proper show you can quite easily sit there for 3hrs.

I enjoyed it. They were a bit slow on the switch over between world feed and there own stuff and Ben needed a sidekick.

Feels like a proper start to the weekend. By the way the BBC's title sequence seems to get better each time I watch it. A very good sequence.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.