Options

Sky Sport needs to close a channel

LankyLanky Posts: 252
Forum Member
With Sky Sport's dwindling portfolio of sports rights isn't it time that they stopped trying to con people and close one, if not more, of their channels.

It used to be that it was only during the summer that they broadcast such programmes (over and over again) as The Premiership Years. Now this sort of filler is on all year round. They seem to have taken over some of ESPN Classic's programming as they are forever showing "classic" football matches. The ruse of turning Sky Sport 2 into "Ashes",during the summer, meant that they could get away with showing loads of old cricket matches.

With BT muscling in, Sky's sporting schedule is going to look increasingly threadbare. Time to cull a channel and reduce the subscription(some hope).

Comments

• Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I think also they should merge sky 1, living , alantic to make a stronger channel
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I think also they should merge sky 1, living , alantic to make a stronger channel

Flicking through today, neither Sky Atlantic nor Sky Living had a better offering than Pick. I was very surprised
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a lull, sports-wise, at the moment. It's been an international week in the football for a start.

Having 4 Sky Sports channels is justifiable when, at some point during the week, there is live sport on all 4 channels, which usually happens most weekends. No point closing channels when more sport would end up behind the red button and not available in HD. It's not as if they would drop the price of the Sports Pack, so who gains by closing anything?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please observe the schedules for next Saturday and Sunday next week to show how wrong your suggestion is.

At around 3pm Sunday they have rights to 2 Live ODI cricket matches, a premiership football game, the Brazilian GP and Ashes highlights plus Live Golf finished just half an hour ago. Quick start Sky Sports 5.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lanky wrote: »
    With Sky Sport's dwindling portfolio of sports rights isn't it time that they stopped trying to con people and close one, if not more, of their channels.

They have only lost mid week Champions League matches.

Sky will continue to expand and keep buying up more. I expect the whole F1 rights will be snapped up leaving none with the BBC.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky will continue to expand and keep buying up more. I expect the whole F1 rights will be snapped up leaving none with the BBC.

aren't the sponsors still super pissed off at sky having the f1 rights they do? could easily see the going back FTA
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    aren't the sponsors still super pissed off at sky having the f1 rights they do? could easily see the going back FTA

They're not overly excited by it no.
    But i don't for one second think Sky will get exclusive rights.
    Too keep the sponsors off his back, Bernie will have to make races available live on FTA TV and the way it is now, i don't see changing unless BBC can outbid Sky when they next come up for auction.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WWE takes up most of Sky's filler. And weather it's actually a sport is debatable.

I think there's room for another league.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are a small, non chain pub. Sky charge us £1250 per month. And for what? Mon-fri apart from one-offs like darts (niche) there is **** all live stuff to make it worth the price.
    Every one knows the person who pays the piper calls the tunes, so why the hell dont they dont do more?
    They dont give a **** cos apperantly the weekend football will do it all.

Erm no.
  • Options
    glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,322
    Forum Member
    I think they should. Go back to just Sky Sports 1/2/3/News.

Hopefully BT Sports knock them out of business by keeping the UFC, adding NBA, Darts and along with the Champions League take more English Premier League games at the next bid.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are a small, non chain pub. Sky charge us £1250 per month. And for what? Mon-fri apart from one-offs like darts (niche) there is **** all live stuff to make it worth the price.

The darts actually rates really quite well.

Often there is times when live sport is put on the red button due to 4 live things on at the same time so there is no need whatsoever. I'd rather there be filler at times than red button coverage all the time!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every one knows the person who pays the piper calls the tunes, so why the hell dont they dont do more?

Erm no.

If it's not worth it to your business, cancel.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More channels is better than less channels in my book. So what if there's a load of filler, don't watch it.

What I would like as a VM customer is to be able to watch them in HD at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They're not overly excited by it no.
    But i don't for one second think Sky will get exclusive rights.
    Too keep the sponsors off his back, Bernie will have to make races available live on FTA TV and the way it is now, i don't see changing unless BBC can outbid Sky when they next come up for auction.

I totally agree that there will continue to be some kind of FTA coverage of F1 after the current BBC/Sky deal ends in 2018.

However I don't think it will be the same kind of FTA in the UK as there is now.

If you look at the 3 biggest TV markets (in Europe) for F1 - Germany, the UK & Italy - then you see that there is a different levels of FTA coverage as well as full coverage from the local Sky Sports (ie our own Sky Sports F1, Sky Sports Germany & Sky Sports F1 in Italy).

As we know, in the UK the agreement is that BBC can cover up to 50% of the season races and qualifying live, the remainder being exclusive to Sky Sports, with the BBC having extended highlights around 5 hours later.

However in Germany the national FTA broadcaster RTL has live coverage of every race and qualifying, and Sky Sports Germany has full live coverage of the full race meeting, ie Friday and Saturday practices are exclusive to Sky Germany and everything else is covered by both broadcasters.

In Italy the national FTA broadcaster RAI has a deal with Sky Sports Italy that is very similar to the the one between BBC and Sky in the UK, with up to 50% of the races being covered live by both broadcasters and the remainder being exclusively live of Sky Sports F1 Italy. The difference between the Italian FTA coverage and the British FTA coverage is that the races that are exclusively live on Sky Sports Italy are show in full later that day on RAI, where as the UK deal just gives the BBC rights to extended highlights.

Therefore I believe that it is most likely that the next UK TV rights will either follow the German model or the Italian model, personally I think it will more likely that the next contract will be like the Italian model.

However it cannot be totally ruled out that F1 could become exclusive to pay tv in the UK. Just look at France where F1 is no longer on FTA tv (in France you can get the Race itself on a basic cable/satelitte subscription on CANAL+, a french equal to Sky 1, and if you want the free practices and qualifing you have to subscribe to CANAL+ Sport, the french equal to Sky Sports.) So if Sky Sports or BT Sport put in a large enough bid then the FOM may accept this and give a large percentage of the right fees to the teams to make up for the reduced number of viewers and subsequent reduction in sponsorship fees the teams can charge.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I like the thread title, they "NEED" to close a channel, like something bad will happen if they dont.
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However in Germany the national FTA broadcaster RTL has live coverage of every race and qualifying, and Sky Sports Germany has full live coverage of the full race meeting, ie Friday and Saturday practices are exclusive to Sky Germany and everything else is covered by both broadcasters.

Sport1 has got rights to show practice 1 +2 on Fridays, the channel is FTA on satellite
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport's generally a weekend event, so it's not uncommon for Sky to have all five channels showing live events on say Saturday or Sunday evening, and still have to shunt a sixth live sport onto the red button. Equally, it's not uncommon for there to be not a single live sport on say a Tuesday morning across any of their channels, and when this is the case, I can't see why they shouldn't show archive material, magazine shows and highlights. Indeed, this has always been the case to my memory. After all, they are marketed as sport channels and not live sport channels.

But this hasn't taken effect yet. In addition, there's more EPL games live on Sky Sports this season than any previous season. Indeed, the only 'major' loss I can think of is the one game a week they showed from the Aviva Premiership. They've started showing extra live games from the next tier down however to cover some of these gaps and they're showing the LV Cup games that used to be on BBC a few years back, so they aren't showing much less now (in terms of quantity at least, which is the argument I believe that's being made here) than they were when they had full rights to the AP.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Smiggs wrote: »
    Please observe the schedules for next Saturday and Sunday next week to show how wrong your suggestion is.

At around 3pm Sunday they have rights to 2 Live ODI cricket matches, a premiership football game, the Brazilian GP and Ashes highlights plus Live Golf finished just half an hour ago. Quick start Sky Sports 5.
    Yes, even last weekend they had to show the start of the darts on the red button due to live sport clashes.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More channels is better than less channels in my book. So what if there's a load of filler, don't watch it.

What I would like as a VM customer is to be able to watch them in HD at a reasonable price.

It's the exact same sport and coverage you are watching whether its on SD or HD there is no justification for them charging you a penny more.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I think we have too many channels in the UK. There should be more consolidation and mergers.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have too many channels in the UK. There should be more consolidation and mergers.

I'm sure someone will come around and retune them from your tv if you ask nicely
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get RB to bid for the sports packs directly instead of expecting to leech off Sky ?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm no.

Who is making you pay one penny to Sky? If you don't like what they provide and do not think it is value for money, then just stop subscribing.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Who is making you pay one penny to Sky? If you don't like what they provide and do not think it is value for money, then just stop subscribing.

Yes with sky it's a choice unlike some other tv service in the uk there is no choice it law you have to pay even if you not watch it you still have to pay for it
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Yes with sky it's a choice unlike some other tv service in the uk there is no choice it law you have to pay even if you not watch it you still have to pay for it

At the moment you can opt out - many have