Options

Litter - is it a problem where you live?

13»

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Do any of you Southerners notice a drop in cleanliness when you come up north?

Liverpool was filthy in 1990. I don't tend to go up north.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Haha. Have you noticed other towns and cities that are bad for litter?

skagness isn`t great, dog shit every where and needles on the beach. though i do like skeggers, it`s got some lovely architecture and art deco street furniture.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool was filthy in 1990. I don't tend to go up north.

For that reason, or just no need to come up here?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    For that reason, or just no need to come up here?

I don't have the opportunity any more. I liked Glasgow, that was lovely. I was upset when i saw in the news about the Glasgow School Of Art.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    Until 3 months ago I lived in beautiful Cambridge and there was very little litter and rubbish on the streets and in the parks. People generally seemed to have more respect for the city they lived in, and the council did a very good job in keeping it clean.
    I work in Central London and find that the litter / cleanliness is also generally very good.

But where I am living now (Coventry) is absolutely disgusting, the streets are filthy and covered in rubbish, the parks are strewn with litter, and all along the roadside there is junk everywhere. Not only are the council completely useless, but the people here just don't seem to care! So yes... definitely some regional variations!

Yes, Coventry isn't the best. My brother lives there so I know it well.

Parts of Birmingham are filthy too.
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is a HUGE problem in Bradford mainly caused by eastern european gypsies who have invaded the back to back houses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shak2005 wrote: »
    it is a HUGE problem in Bradford mainly caused by eastern european gypsies who have invaded the back to back houses.

Bradford is disgusting to be honest.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    Litter is very bad in parts of Folkestone and especially anywhere which has nice sea views. The more picturesque the more rubbish.

I live in Folkestone and have to say the council seem to do their best down my road as it gets cleaned fairly regularly.
    The problem we have is with the seagulls and the bin bags. They rip them to shreds and then the rubbish goes everywhere. Also have a problem with a lot of dog mess near me. Some dog owners just don't pick up after them. You really have to watch where you're walking when you walk to the town centre.
    Can't say I've seen lots of rubbish round the town centre and I often see the street sweepers there.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I would say it is, yes. I have family and friends further into the East End, East Ham, Canning Town, Hackney for example. And the problem is just as bad there.

I'm in Upton Park and it's disgusting. As well as the litter (and there's a lot of that) people put food out for the pigeons, big piles of leftover rice and bread just put on the pavement. Unwanted/broken household goods are left out, often taken to the ends of the roads and dumped - I think this might be common in other countries and people think it's the same here. In the past year or so it's also become popular for groups of young men to eat and drink (not alcohol) under the trees, which would be fine if they didn't leave their rubbish!

A new phenomenon though is the scavengers, with trolleys and those big checkered bags, who take most of the household stuff but are also happy to come into your garden and rootle through your bins. I've seen a van drop off half a dozen of them early in the morning. Ultimate recycling but a bit strange when you see one in your front garden!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Only on a windy day when it's bin day..the rubbish gets blown everywhere, especially the recycling..pop bottles rolling down the street and road is really annoying ..sometimes i go out and get it up, then bin it...eurghh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    I'm in Upton Park and it's disgusting. As well as the litter (and there's a lot of that) people put food out for the pigeons, big piles of leftover rice and bread just put on the pavement. Unwanted/broken household goods are left out, often taken to the ends of the roads and dumped - I think this might be common in other countries and people think it's the same here. In the past year or so it's also become popular for groups of young men to eat and drink (not alcohol) under the trees, which would be fine if they didn't leave their rubbish!

A new phenomenon though is the scavengers, with trolleys and those big checkered bags, who take most of the household stuff but are also happy to come into your garden and rootle through your bins. I've seen a van drop off half a dozen of them early in the morning. Ultimate recycling but a bit strange when you see one in your front garden!

I'm getting the impression here that East London ain't that clean.

I don't remember Ilford being dirty when I used to visit there.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, no. Canterbury council has recently stepped up measures against litterers, but I care more about dogshit, which doesn't seem to be a priority.

I don't care about cigarette butts and crisp packets particularly, but dogshit really pisses me off. It's smelly, unhygienic and disgusting to see. I've complained to the council about a hotspot near me ( 4 times a week), but they simply don't care.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hackney always has rubbish strewn about. I guess the council do a reasonable job at clearing it up every day though.

They also seem to clean up the dog shit, but not the bird shit of which there is quite a significant amount on many of the footpaths for some reason. I'm always having to step into the road just to avoid a large patch of green pigeon shit under every street light :mad:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In certain areas of Brighton it is absolutely terrible, especially in the run down areas where shops have closed due to the recession. Compare that to places like Chichester and Eastbourne, then you have a stark contrast, because the two latter places are immaculate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    In certain areas of Brighton it is absolutely terrible, especially in the run down areas where shops have closed due to the recession. Compare that to places like Chichester and Eastbourne, then you have a stark contrast, because the two latter places are immaculate.

Eastbourne is spotless, but I'm surprised Brighton isn't in places.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst time for litter is after the refuse collectors have been round. Broken bottles is a problem when out cycling but again that's mostly down to the refuse collectors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    The worst time for litter is after the refuse collectors have been round. Broken bottles is a problem when out cycling but again that's mostly down to the refuse collectors.

If you or I dropped litter and got caught, we'd be fined (£80 in Wakefield where I am).

Council workers are not above the law, and one day I walked past a council van with a suited inspector* inside it, who casually threw his cigarette butt out of the window

I reported him, the council, his employer, fined him and his boss went mad at him.

They should set an example. If that had have been us we'd have been slapped with the fine, so why shouldn't he?

*I found out he was an inspector when they called me back to say he'd been fined and paid it.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I live in the countryside and although there are some bins about it seems impossible for people here to hold rubbish in their hands for more than 10 seconds. The pavements are full of litter, I think people are too lazy to hold onto it and put it in the bins.

Also there is a dog shit problem as it is everywhere, I've never seen anywhere as bad.

On the other hand the city centre is fairly tidy.
    (I'm in Worcester btw)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've rarely seen litter in the village. We had a biker event at the weekend and no litter was left on the riverside by campers when they left.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It's pretty bad where I live.

Yours, Stig.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    It's not a problem where i live.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a fairly large town in Central Scotland and I've never known there to be a problem with litter. There are weekly bin collections, a litter picker in the town centre and each housing estate has someone who comes round every day to pick up litter. I think because the council does their bit to keep the place nice, most of the residents do as well and some days the wee guy that does our area just wanders about with a nearly empty bin bag picking up cigarette butts.