Can't believe Matthew went to a comprehensive school!!

2»

Comments

• satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Peter E wrote: »
    Just found discovered that Matthew attended JFS School in north London - a Jewish comprehensive school. I always assumed he went to a private or grammar school.

Goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!!

JFS is a really good school, people fight to get their kids in there! Not that it matters though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    JFS is a really good school, people fight to get their kids in there! Not that it matters though.

Do parents pretend to be religious to get their kids in? Happens in church schools all the time.
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the best comprehensives in middle class areas are just former Grammar schools.

Very true. Lots of girls at my daughter's school would be in private education if they hadn't got a place at her ccomprehensive. It was a former grammar school and has maintained the standards and gets outstanding results all round.

JFS, Matthew's school is in a pretty affluent area in London and has a very good reputation, it is selective I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Do parents pretend to be religious to get their kids in? Happens in church schools all the time.

I don't think it is as easy to pretend to be Jewish.
    Forum Member

I know - can't imagine it'd happen in the Jewish faith, I mean you're either Jewish or you're not! :)
    Forum Member
    Enidan wrote: »
    Very true. Lots of girls at my daughter's school would be in private education if they hadn't got a place at her ccomprehensive. It was a former grammar school and has maintained the standards and gets outstanding results all round.

JFS, Matthew's school is in a pretty affluent area in London and has a very good reputation, it is selective I believe.

Actually I live just down the road from the school and believe me, it's not an affluent area!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I live just down the road from the school and believe me, it's not an affluent area!

Agreed, not Brent itself. But there are some very affluent areas nearby. (Golders Green, Hampstead Garden Suburb).
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, not Brent itself. But there are some very affluent areas nearby. (Golders Green, Hampstead Garden Suburb).

most of London's shiteholes have somewhere nice nearby though :p
    Forum Member

Well, not being pedantic, but it would take me about 45 mins to drive to any of the areas you mention! ;-). But the school has moved in recent years, when I was young it was in Camden - but people come from miles away to JFS, they have coaches to bring the kids in from loads of different areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, not being pedantic, but it would take me about 45 mins to drive to any of the areas you mention! ;-). But the school has moved in recent years, when I was young it was in Camden - but people come from miles away to JFS, they have coaches to bring the kids in from loads of different areas.

I guess it depends where in Brent you are. I will admit I tend to use Brent Cross Shopping Centre as my marker for Brent. When you say coaches, are they like School Buses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »

Yes very true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Google Directions reckons 28 minutes by car from Highgate. I haven't driven in London for years, but I find that a bit optimistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google Directions reckons 28 minutes by car from Highgate. I haven't driven in London for years, but I find that a bit optimistic.

Well its takes me 15 minutes from Highgate to Brent Cross, I do it regularly so that sounds about right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its takes me 15 minutes from Highgate to Brent Cross, I do it regularly so that sounds about right.

Ok. (I used to commute in East London and take about 40 minutes to go 4 or 5 miles.)
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. (I used to commute in East London and take about 40 minutes to go 4 or 5 miles.)

you need to purchase a scooter :p
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd. My rural comprehensive had lots of well spoken pupils. Myself included!
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Are his parents wealthy?
  • Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member

JFS is not selective on the grounds of academic ability. The criteria for selection is based on the child's / family's commitment to Judaism.
    Forum Member
    JFS is not selective on tje grounds of academic ability. The criteria for selection is based on the child's / family's commitment to Judaism.

Does wealth matter too?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the worst comprehensive school in the largest county - and I'm pretty well spoken and - after I left there - became very well educated. My kids also go to the random nearest comp but none of them have our regional accent and all are fairly well spoken. It doesn't mean a lot. If you want to compare him to Helen, I guess you'd have to conclude he was well brought up - she wasn't. There is always some element of bad parenting in there if people "got in with the wrong crowd" as a teenager. We are a reflection on our parents or families, more than of our schools, I think. Put me next to a random person from my old comprehensive form and you would never guess we were 5-7 years in the same room.
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    Does wealth matter too?

I would have thought selection on the basis of wealth is discriminatory and illegal so I pretty much doubt it has influence on their selection process.
    Forum Member
    I would have thought selection on the basis of wealth is discriminatory and illegal so I pretty much doubt it has influence on their selection process.

I'm sure that's what we would like to believe in a fair and just society, but we aren't living in a fair and just society. I'm pretty sure money speaks volumes.
  • clandestinyclandestiny Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Milliband went to a comprehensive. He was bogwashed everyday apparently.
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »

Yes. That's true!
  • Bluerang1Bluerang1 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Maybe's it's the one by where I lived!! It's the only Jewish school I knew haha

Nvm it's a primary school that I knew.