Options

Purnell Resigns

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who? :confused:

Labour MP. Not sure how important he is but he is another name openly calling for Brown to go on the TV.
  • Options
    pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Would it even be worth having an interim PM until a snap election can be cobbled together? I'm pretty sure Brown wouldn't stand down as PM this week, but I suspect this will force a general election this summer.
    I'm sure Cameron wants to be settled in at No. 10 well in time for Christmas.

Why would the Labour party (not matter who is leader) choose to have an early election that would benefit the Tories?
  • Options
    DunedinDunedin Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is over. Gordon Brown is dead as Prime Minister.

It is over.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    I see Brown's turned off the lights at No. 10 - d'you think he's hoping people will think he's gone out? :p

It's his secret weapon to try to stay there. He is hoping that if the lights are out people will think he has gone.

Can't we return him to Scotland
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing a PM is actually quite dramatic. Hasn't happened like this for a while has it. Major lost at the polls, Blair swanned off when he wanted to...kinda typical of the smug git really....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm switching between BBC News, Sky News and Channel 4 atm. Exciting stuff.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Will Brown being doing PMQ next wednesday in light of recent going on in the Labour Party:confused:

I think not to be honest. He'll be having a meeting with the Queen very soon.
  • Options
    mighty thormighty thor Posts: 8,058
    Forum Member
    Given the line of questioning Cameron went with at PMQs yesterday - wouldn't it be funny if Darling was still chancellor, but Brown had been forced to step down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunedin wrote: »
    It is over. Gordon Brown is dead as Prime Minister.

It is over.

Sensational nonsense.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Brown could actually resign the leadership of Labour and still remain PM.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaystar wrote: »
    Personally, it wouldn't bother me.

My beef has always been with Gordon Brown himself, not the technicalities of how he got the position. The incompetent, psychotic megalomaniac should've never been allowed anywhere near the role of PM.

We've had one incompetent buffoon (Speaker Michael Martin) booted out, and now this .... It's like Christmas has come early. :D

Well for me the two arguements are interlinked, when Brown goes and lets the PLP choose a new leader, what policys are going to implemented by the new leader under Blairs Majority?

More national debt?
    more loans?
    More printing of money?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    It's absolutely shocking the disloyalty they are showing Gordon Brown, I'm no fan, but the free loading money grabbing (fraudsters) ministers are just out to save their own skins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sensational nonsense.

Pie in the sky wishful thinking - Brown's days are numbered!

Face it - the revolt now has momentum.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Especially if Labour get shoved into 4th place by the Lib Dems & UKIP in the Euros.

Looking at the polls on this forum, Labour will be pushed down into 6th place (as a share of the vote) behind the Tories, LibDems, Green, UKIP and BNP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sensational nonsense.

You should turn on the news.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauli89 wrote: »
    Why would the Labour party (not matter who is leader) choose to have an early election that would benefit the Tories?

If Broon goes Labour won't have much of a choice, the calls for an election will be deafening and ignoring those calls will matters even worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Face it - the revolt now has momentum.

What? I don't support Brown or anyone else for that matter. I'm just saying he won't give up that easily!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    pauli89 wrote: »

Just to put themselves out of their misery. Nip it in the bud and start work on being an effective opposition (albeit not the official one).
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Never mind big brother when you got all of this going on. For who the bell tomes seems very appropiate for brown now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    John Denham - will not support James Purnell
  • Options
    DunedinDunedin Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensational nonsense.

Gordon Brown will neither be leader of the labour party nor prime minister 7 days from now.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully with a single digit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    It's absolutely shocking the disloyalty they are showing Gordon Brown, I'm no fan, but the free loading money grabbing (fraudsters) ministers are just out to save their own skins.

It's not called disloyalty - it is called integrity.

Would you rather the cabinet filled with "yes-men" doing everything the great leader tells them to do - or do you want people of conviction - ones who will stand up for their own beliefs - even if it has a detrimental effect on themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? I don't support Brown or anyone else for that matter. I'm just saying he won't give up that easily!:rolleyes:

He won't have a choice. If his party are openly talking on TV about how he is the wrong person and he should go.. sooner or later he becomes a liability to the party... he won't like it but that's the truth.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    Losing a PM is actually quite dramatic. Hasn't happened like this for a while has it. Major lost at the polls, Blair swanned off when he wanted to...kinda typical of the smug git really....

Timing was immaculate. He went at exactly the right time.

Also, the silence from Blair, in the crisis for Labour, has been deafening