boyfriend ate a bit of raw chicken last night... what to do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
Forum Member
he says he ate "a mouthful and a half of quite a big bit of raw chicken" that he thought was cooked. apparently it was cooked on the outside. this was about 11pm. it was left over from their meal which they ate at about 7pm and it had been kept in the fridge

he says he feels fine, but how long can it take for him to start feeling ill? i'm not seeing him until monday at the earliest as he has relatives visiting, so i can't keep an eye on how he is. and will he be contagious? the last thing he'll want is to make his relatives ill as they have to go back to america in a week

please help. i'm really worried :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing really you can do. If he's feeling fine this long after it chances are he will be ok
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D He won't be contagious, don't worry.

I think if he hasn't shown any signs of being ill within 24 hours he should be in the clear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really sick earlier in the week - at about 7pm I was cooking chicken and I think that I touched some raw chicken and forgot to wash my hands, I could have touched my mouth or something without realising - was sick at half 8 the next morning - I put it down to that even though I am not entirely sure - so that was about 12 hours.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invis post.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Foxes eat a lot of raw chicken. It doesn't do them any harm.

Why not pretend to be foxes?
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that food poisoning symptoms usually show within a matter of hours, 2 or 4, so if he's OK now, 16 or 17 hours after eating the chicken he's probably going to be OK.
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    As everyone else has said, if he's feeling fine now, it's unlikely he'll get sick.
    Remember, it's not the actual raw chicken that makes you sick, it's the bacteria on it. So if it was a fairly "clean" bit, he's not going to get sick.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we now providing advice on things that haven't occured? :D

OP, unless he gets ill do not worry! :eek: :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that food poisoning symptoms usually show within a matter of hours, 2 or 4, so if he's OK now, 16 or 17 hours after eating the chicken he's probably going to be OK.

I bought a cooked chicken from a supermarket once, came home sorted myself dinner and gave my wee doggies a treat too, about 2-3 hours later we were all sick as dogs lol (wasn't funny at the time), I was sick and my wee dogs were being sick too! We got over it OK, it wasn't contageous though. I think if nothing has happened so far he should be fine. My OH has an iron stomach, nothing makes him ill, he has made sausages that are a couple of days out of date (but smelled OK apparently!!) and was fine!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    Are we now providing advice on things that haven't occured? :D

hahahaha. sshhhhh. i'm a hypochondriac :p

thanks for the advice though guys :)
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    bambii wrote: »
    I bought a cooked chicken from a supermarket once, came home sorted myself dinner and gave my wee doggies a treat too, about 2-3 hours later we were all sick as dogs lol (wasn't funny at the time), I was sick and my wee dogs were being sick too! We got over it OK, it wasn't contageous though. I think if nothing has happened so far he should be fine. My OH has an iron stomach, nothing makes him ill, he has made sausages that are a couple of days out of date (but smelled OK apparently!!) and was fine!!

The use by dates are often cautious anyway, but it depends. Food which is dodgy can appear and taste fine, and food which is in date can still be dodgy.

But if they err on the side of caution, then it means they are less likely to be sued, if someone eats something in date and gets ill because they've cast the net too widely and been caught out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Marinade and broil him for 10 minutes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Foxes eat a lot of raw chicken. It doesn't do them any harm.

Why not pretend to be foxes?

Hehe, yeah except that foxes, relative to the dog family, have hydrochloric acid in their stomachs that is around 10 times more powerful than the hydrochloric acid in us humans. All the germs present in raw meat get destroyed in their stomachs quite quickly.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperFool wrote: »
    I was really sick earlier in the week - at about 7pm I was cooking chicken and I think that I touched some raw chicken and forgot to wash my hands, I could have touched my mouth or something without realising - was sick at half 8 the next morning - I put it down to that even though I am not entirely sure - so that was about 12 hours.

I very much doubt it was the chicken. It's not that infectious.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should be fine by now, however, if he does suffer from a delayed reaction he needs to let it get out of his system but he won't be contagious and won't be passing it on to his relatives