Options

Breastfeeding in a Swimming Pool

12346»

Comments

• Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like she was purposely going for a reaction or wanted an excuse to stir things up in order to play the victim. She must have known what she was doing would be highly controversial let alone not an entirely normal thing to be doing in a swimming pool. What did she expect?

The fact she's gone running straight to the press suggests she already had her plan sewn up.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Gawd, here we go again.

First off, was a swimming pool or a leisure pool?
    Because many leisure pools are designed to encourage people to stand/sit around rather than swim.
    There's one near us, very popular but "swimming" is about the most difficult thing to do there when it's busy.

Odd of her to stand in the water but can't see a problem with her feeding the baby at the side of the pool. If you have other young children you have to stay at the pool to watch them.

Babies past a few months and sitting up are not usually sick.

Both of mine were sick, my first had acid reflux too. We thought something was wrong with our first (who had reflux) and apparently its incredibly common for babies to be sick before 6 months :confused:

It doesn't change the fact that you are adding contaminants to the water though.

I'm fine with breastfeeding, my OH did and it annoyed me when people reacted badly or would give dirty looks and so Mrs Fizix would end up sitting in a toilet.

This woman is just taking the piss though and is part of the problem, we want women to be able to breastfeed in public and idiots like her only achieve greater resistance.

I don't think breastfeeding in the actual swimming pool is a good idea and I don't agree with it. Being able to breastfeed anywhere doesn't mean wherever you darn well please, it means anywhere normal, reasonable and appropriate. A swimming pool is not one of those places.

Firstly, she will most likely end up getting breast milk in the pool, babies can dribble milk out and letdown can have milk squirt like a water pistol. Also babies can be sick when feeding.

So one way or another she is adding contaminants into the pool. It doesn't matter that the water is treated or that people pee in the pool anyway, you want to reduce contaminants not increase them. If you increase contaminants then you can end up with a problem.

You wouldn't tip a carton of juice into the pool, or a cup of coffee; because the pool has stuff in it anyway.

The other issue is that people don't want someone's breast milk, urine, spit or whatever else in the pool with them. Its showing no consideration for others.

I also don't see it as a safe or wise place to feed a baby, it wouldn't cross my mind to feed ours in a swimming pool, it's one of those places I think most people wouldn't feed their kids; be it breast milk, formula, a sandwich or whatever else.

On the benches at the side of the pool is fine, inside the pool is not.

I would hazard a guess that when she said they wouldn't let her feed the kid at the pool side, she was referring to sat with her feet in the pool.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she'd used her loaf and took the baby out of the pool to feed it then perhaps this story wouldn't exist.

She couldn't possibly do that. it would be against her attention seeking nature;)
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I hate the prudish description of "indecent exposure" like showing a nipple is the same as flashing a cock in a nunnery. As for being unhygienic, well if this is classed as being unhygienic then what do they call people surfacing with long tendrils of snot hanging from both nostrils? If the pool management want to use terms like that they should prepare to be called to task especially concerning what goes in a pool in order to cleanse the water of potential bodily deposits like urine, blood, snot, semen etc

I am not sure of the rules in swimming pools generally, but if people can swig from a bottle of coke in the pool then a baby can feed from her mother in the pool. If food and drink is banned in the pool then this should cover breastfeeding too. Fair for everyone. Just wish people dropped this Mary Whitehouse like attitude where nipples can be seen to corrupt a generation.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    like showing a nipple is the same as flashing a cock in a nunnery.

Oh my word, now there's a sentence that jumps out at you! :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I hate the prudish description of "indecent exposure" like showing a nipple is the same as flashing a cock in a nunnery. As for being unhygienic, well if this is classed as being unhygienic then what do they call people surfacing with long tendrils of snot hanging from both nostrils? If the pool management want to use terms like that they should prepare to be called to task especially concerning what goes in a pool in order to cleanse the water of potential bodily deposits like urine, blood, snot, semen etc

It's unhygienic for the baby to suck off a tit that's been in swim pool water and not the act itself, I thought you'd have realised that.
    I am not sure of the rules in swimming pools generally, but if people can swig from a bottle of coke in the pool then a baby can feed from her mother in the pool. If food and drink is banned in the pool then this should cover breastfeeding too. Fair for everyone. Just wish people dropped this Mary Whitehouse like attitude where nipples can be seen to corrupt a generation.

One staff member supposedly saying that is hardly going to corrupt anybody is it.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So not only did she make an official complaint she went running to the newspapers.

She's milking it for all its worth.

Nice one!:D
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the size of the child in the Daily Mail picture today he looks as though missing a feed or two wouldn't do him much harm.;)
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I hope the staff has mammarised the rules for next time.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I could look at womens naked breasts all day :D I'd rather not do it like that.

I'm sure the baby loved the chlorine taste with the milk!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The baby wasn't feeding... It was doing the breast stroke!
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she'd used her loaf and took the baby out of the pool to feed it then perhaps this story wouldn't exist.

"Baby eats sandwich in swimming pool" would have been an even better story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    If this is same story different person, maybe this person thought she could cash in, like the previous one or go banging to the press.. like the previous one.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    I hope the staff has mammarised the rules for next time.

*Doffs cap*

Well done sir!
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is I feel if it is ok to give a baby a bottle in a situation then it is ok to breast feed.
    If I saw a baby being given a bottle in a swimming pool,I would think what on earth does that mother think she's doing feeding the baby in the pool?Why can't she sit down somewhere more comfortable and feed the baby properly.

Enough said.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad truth is that in any pool, you'll likely be swimming in piss, among various other bodily fluids. A tiny drop of breast milk here and there wouldn't make much difference.

(But as I said, I don't think she should have been breastfeeding in the water.)
    Just when I thought that sticky plasters were the worst of what can be in a swimming pool! :(