"Scotlands oil revenue has been underwriting the UKs failure to balance its books for

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Check out @beverbeverley's Tweet: https://twitter.com/beverbeverley/status/510910160186126336

Decades.......A quote in Hansard from Alistair Darling.No wonder their nervous of Scottish Independence.

Comments

• HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    This quote is the type of thing Id like Andrew Neil,John Humphreys etc to ask Alistair about.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Firstly, it's Shetland's oil - not Scotland's oil...

Secondly, when you have a non-zero proof your books aren't balanced.
  • DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    This quote is the type of thing Id like Andrew Neil,John Humphreys etc to ask Alistair about.
    I'd like to hear what he has to say re that as well. Issues re the oil revenue just haven't been at the forefront of this referendum campaign. I've had discussions with lots of people about the upcoming vote but not one person has said anything to me about the oil. They're more concerned about loss of jobs if Standard Life etc pull out. It's quite odd actually. I remember the 1979 devolution debates and it was an absolutely massive issue back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, it's Shetland's oil - not Scotland's oil...

Secondly, when you have a non-zero proof your books aren't balanced.

It is Scotland's oil as Shetland is part of Scotland.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    when you have a non-zero proof your books aren't balanced.
    Don't think you finished the sentence?
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And scotland is part of the UK, so it's the UK's Oil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

For the time being.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

For now.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the Shetlands didn't want to be part of either Scotland or the UK and are cosying up to Norway :confused:
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also the cover up of the McCrone report in the 70s. We can't trust Westminster to be honest about Scotland's oil wealth, the revenues from which have gone into the coffers of private companies & squandered by the UK treasury instead of a Sovereign Fund for the public good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Shetlands didn't want to be part of either Scotland or the UK and are cosying up to Norway :confused:

Don't know anything about that.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    For now.

Same for Shetland, although the international waters around shetland will shrink I would think. I feel Shetland is a special case and their views should be decided by a secondary referendum in the case of a yes vote; either to stay within the uk or with scotland.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same for Shetland, although the international waters around shetland will shrink I would think. I feel Shetland is a special case and their views should be decided by a secondary referendum in the case of a yes vote; either to stay within the uk or with scotland.

That's what most on the Islands would like. Whether we get it or not is another matter.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would prefer to stay part of the UK than be part of an independent Scotland.

The results for Shetland on Friday will probably be the most telling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are Shetland having a referendum?
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    There is no evidence that the Shetlands would want to stay part of the UK if Scotland went independent, although the numbers have suggested they are generally voting no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out @beverbeverley's Tweet: https://twitter.com/beverbeverley/status/510910160186126336

Decades.......A quote in Hansard from Alistair Darling.No wonder their nervous of Scottish Independence.
    A search of Hansard yields no such quote.
    So it would seem to be quotes you do not find in Hansard, quotes pro independence websites make up.

The closest I can find is on google references on pro independence websites to on 29 May 2008, Labour Chancellor Alistair Darling admitted in a back-handed way, that Scotland's oil revenue had been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades.
    Forum Member
    A search of Hansard yields no such quote.
    So it would seem to be quotes you do not find in Hansard, quotes pro independence websites make up.

The closest I can find is on google references on pro independence websites to on 29 May 2008, Labour Chancellor Alistair Darling admitted in a back-handed way, that Scotland's oil revenue had been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades.

But the fact of underwriting which is the more crucial point has been conceded?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    But the fact of underwriting which is the more crucial point has been conceded?

what the figures on how much Scotland contributes to the UK compared to what it gets back fail to take any account however of the funding spent elsewhere in the UK on services that also benefit Scotland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Since when has a tweet been considered legitimate evidence suitable for discussion...
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The claim in the video is that it is in Hansard on 29 May 2008 if anyone wants to look (note the speaker does not give the reference, so making it hard to verify). And the speaker finishes by saying "with all the lies coming out" QUITE !
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when has a tweet been considered legitimate evidence suitable for discussion...

The OP has a habit of starting threads like this then gets very aggressive if you don't agree.
    Forum Member
    The OP has a habit of starting threads like this then gets very aggressive if you don't agree.

Can you please give examples of me being very aggressive?
    Forum Member

Often:)

Not all tweets are equal....
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    what the figures on how much Scotland contributes to the UK compared to what it gets back fail to take any account however of the funding spent elsewhere in the UK on services that also benefit Scotland

Im taking my cue on this from former chancellor of the exchequer Alistair Darling:)