Options

Carpet fitters

james_taylor3james_taylor3 Posts: 248
Forum Member
Hi,

Im getting frustrated with carpet places telling me if i source my own underlay they dont know if thier fitters will charge extra.

Its still underlay why would they?

Ive just bought a carpet from said place and i want to source my own underlay, will the fitters charge more if its not from that place? Or is it just a sales ploy to get me to buy thier underlay?

Also if i provide the grippers will the fitter charge more to lay one or two down (most are fine just one or two need replacing)

Comments

• Options
    TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a carpet laid and fitted my own grippers and underlay, the company and fitter had no issue with just fitting the carpet.

The only thing they did say to me was to make sure the gripper was 10mm from the edge of the room as some people fit it a lot further from the edge and they would have had to move it when fitting the carpet.

Either the company wants you to get the underlay and gripper from them or they like things done in a certain way. I would ask them how they prefer gripper and underlay to be fitted and if they don't cooperate then find another company.

Out of interest, is it a chain or independent company?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TerryH wrote: »
    I've just had a carpet laid and fitted my own grippers and underlay, the company and fitter had no issue with just fitting the carpet.

The only thing they did say to me was to make sure the gripper was 10mm from the edge of the room as some people fit it a lot further from the edge and they would have had to move it when fitting the carpet.

Either the company wants you to get the underlay and gripper from them or they like things done in a certain way. I would ask them how they prefer gripper and underlay to be fitted and if they don't cooperate then find another company.

Out of interest, is it a chain or independent company?

Its a chain but the fitters are subcontractors
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Im getting frustrated with carpet places telling me if i source my own underlay they dont know if thier fitters will charge extra.

Its still underlay why would they?

Ive just bought a carpet from said place and i want to source my own underlay, will the fitters charge more if its not from that place? Or is it just a sales ploy to get me to buy thier underlay?

Also if i provide the grippers will the fitter charge more to lay one or two down (most are fine just one or two need replacing)
    Hi,

Its the same old issue, fitting/installing clients own purchased items.

Most times there may be no problems but it is when they fail or break down, I, my company or installers don't install clients own boilers, we supply and fit, works out best for the client.

But as you have purchased the carpet and want to purchase underlay and gripper, why don't you grab a couple of your local rags and employ a carpet fitter, you'll get as decent a job if not better.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the fitting is included in the purchase price???

If not, I'd recommend using a local independent fitter. The last time I had a new carpet, I did this. He got the underlay I wanted cheaper than the carpet store could and was quick, tidy and good value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I assume the fitting is included in the purchase price???

If not, I'd recommend using a local independent fitter. The last time I had a new carpet, I did this. He got the underlay I wanted cheaper than the carpet store could and was quick, tidy and good value.
    I bought an end of roll.

I ended up buying underlay myself onine as i got a good quality one for the same price and going to get a carpet fitter thats been reccomended to me.

Will a cheap polypropelene carpet last at least 3 years on a good underlay? Its tightly packed pile and quite a short pile too. Just concerned about flattening/wear
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an end of roll.

I ended up buying underlay myself onine as i got a good quality one for the same price and going to get a carpet fitter thats been reccomended to me.

Will a cheap polypropelene carpet last at least 3 years on a good underlay? Its tightly packed pile and quite a short pile too. Just concerned about flattening/wear

It depends on where in the house you have it (high use, heavy use, dirty use, kids, pets etc), although most carpets should last three years.

The good quality underlay will make the 'feel' much better as well as boosting insulation.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a carpet to last 3 years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    a carpet to last 3 years?

People like you do my head in.

Yes i need it to last 3 years it says so in my post why have you retyped that and put a question mark after it?

??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like you do my head in.

Yes i need it to last 3 years it says so in my post why have you retyped that and put a question mark after it?

??

why on earth would you only want a carpet to last just 3 years?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe they are renting the place out for 3 years so don't want to pay for anything expensive. Maybe they are planning on selling in 3 years. Maybe they have an incontinent dog with only 3 years to live...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Maybe they have an incontinent dog with only 3 years to live...

then they need lino
  • Options
    Forum Member

As im moving in 2-3 years