Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
Ugh, I have to ask where do they get these unbearable couples who go on these house hunting trips to Australia who turn their noses up at every property shown to them...houses that are far better than anything they were ever used to in Blighty being discarded as 'too small' (4 bedrooms, BBQ area, 2 receptions and 2 bathrooms not enough for a family of 3?)...''no pool' (you're by the beach luv)...'where's the shops?'(ummm, around the corner - no Tesco in Oz luv)....
The woman on this morning's show has a face like a dyspeptic bulldog - beautiful houses and none of them good enough. Looking at their pokey little dive back home they deserve no better. Honestly.:mad:

Comments

• SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is such a pointless programme.

I think they're expecting some kind of miracle fix...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We must have started our threads at the same time. Miserable pair aren't they? I really thought the Scottish house was going to be grand but, as you say, it was pokey. She seems to want to turn wherever she lives into her way of living, kids playing in the street etc. instead of being willing to adapt.

Little boy's OK though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Alan could have found work as in electrician in London?
  • GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Australia is so wonderful, why do loads of you insist on living here?
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wouldn't be time to go the beach with all those bedrooms bathrooms and vast areas of floor and other surfaces to clean every day. Unless you intend to employ a team of gardeners,window and house cleaners?
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those are houses Australian's dream of having! I doubt she'd fit in there - the type who are looking for a lifestyle they are not used to and want homes that will impress the folks back home. For people like her its all about the house when for Aussies it's about the lifestyle outside of the house. She wont fit in....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its not about 'insisting' on living here, I certainly do not, my husband is from Northern Ireland and contracted to work here. We wont be here forever I tell you ;)
    I don't know any expat who 'insists' on living here...odd turn of phrase:confused:
    The majority of Australians live in Australia for a good reason...:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    There wouldn't be time to go the beach with all those bedrooms bathrooms and vast areas of floor and other surfaces to clean every day. Unless you intend to employ a team of gardeners,window and house cleaners?

Looking at the Scottish house I don't think they're particularly house proud!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having just become a grandma myself I would be heartbroken if my daughter and my grandson moved away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life and soul???? More like the Desponds! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not be swimming on that stretch of beach - unpatrolled, unsafe. Hope they learn that on Oz beaches you swim between the flags or you end up being one of the many Brits each year dragged out of the surf unconscious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they ever say if they actually move or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they go on these programmes, except to be on TV and get a free holiday.

They clearly hadn't thought anything out like leaving family behind, travelling distance, cost and time for visitors etc.

Was it explained how they could jump from selling a house for £120k to buying one for £300k?
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member

Yes its amazing but so is the UK, thats why I moved here and chose to remain.

The show itself does my head in, those homes are amazing, how they afford them I have no idea??
  • AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the first time I've watched this program. I also thought they were being picky about the houses given the tiny one they lived in (comparitively). I don't believe the there is nowhere in the UK that a midwife and an electrician can work in the same place! Still, if I had the opportunity to live somewhere warm and be better off financially then I'd take it, albeit temporarily.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the beginning, was there a reason why she couldn't find work in Scotland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They judge, or are asked to judge, "Australia" by 2 or 3 houses, not taking into account that there are many different parts to Australia with different climates even. And as MissCulture says, these are houses Australians dream of themselves, so it's unrealistic all round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I missed the beginning, was there a reason why she couldn't find work in Scotland?

She was a midwife apparently! I didn't hear any reason given but may have missed it. :confused:
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a midwife apparently! Your guess is as good as mine.

That didn't make sense, she was spending £900 a month renting in London, surely there are hospitals nearer to Glasgow that need midwives.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often does anyone ever buy a property on one of these programmes? I suspect that it's just cheap to make television like the Home or Abroad variation - hardly anyone choose to say in the UK but equally hardly anyone buys abroad either - at the end of the programme they're still looking for a suitable property!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That didn't make sense, she was spending £900 a month renting in London, surely there are hospitals nearer to Glasgow that need midwives.

It was an unsatisfactory programme all round. Bring back Heir Hunters.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an unsatisfactory programme all round. Bring back Heir Hunters.

Oh I like this programe, purely because I disagree with just about every family, and I enjoy a good rant at the tv in the morning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I like this programe, purely because I disagree with just about every family, and I enjoy a good rant at the tv in the morning!

I've enjoyed them in the past but this one didn't do it for me today.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here but I got the impression they both thought they are gods gift to their professions so perhaps a Scottish hospital wouldn't be good enough on her CV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the most irritating couple were on Relocation Down Under with Phil Spencer and they were house hunting on the central coast of NSW - my home ground. A beautiful region, all coastline and trees and this retired couple were not satisfied with anything shown to them...one house in particular at Avoca was a house I actually recognised and they turned it down because they couldn't see the beach through the gum trees. Beautiful house surrounded by trees, birds, double-storey, beach two streets away...if it wasn't about being 'not big enough' it was 'not near enough to the beach'. Why do these people all insist on the houses being so bloody big:confused: ?