86420 Error Code

lymlym Posts: 2,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just got the 42 All Time Classics game for DS a couple of days ago. I can play online against other people worldwide but when it comes to play against a friend I always get the 86420 error code. I've tried searching google for a solution but there doesn't seem to be any help, just a bunch of other people with the same problem. This is the first time I've had a problem going online with a DS game. Can anyone help?

Comments

• rickyboysimpsonrickyboysimpson Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    After failing to get any help from anyone which the Nintendo Wii 86420 error, me and a mate sat down with our Nintendo Wiis and Mario Kart Wii and played around, a lot! We finally worked out that there are two issues. The first is that the Nintendo Wii requires the UDP ports to be open. The second is that some of the DNS servers around the world don’t know about Nintendo’s servers yet. So after lots of fiddling my and my mate can now play Mario Kart Wii against each other. Here is what you need to do.

1. Set your router up to give the Nintendo Wii a fixed IP address which is at least 11 higher than your router i.e. my router always has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, so I gave my Nintendo Wii a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.12.

2. Whilst in your router to need to forward all available UDP ports, usually 1 to 65534, to the IP address that you have assigned your Nintendo Wii. You do this in the port forwarding section of your router.

3. Now turn on your Nintendo Wii. You need to tell it that it now has a fixed IP using the same IP address which you have reserved on your router. Go to http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/connectingOnline.jsp and follow the instructions there. When you get to Auto-obtain IP address click no. The put in the IP address you reserved on the router. It will probably ask for a subnet mask which will usually be 255.255.255.0.

4. You also need to tell the Nintendo Wii some DNS servers. Go to https://www.opendns.com/start?device=nintendo-wii and follow the instructions on there.

You should find that you don’t get the error anymore.
  • lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bumping up a really old topic ;) I solved the problem months ago by doing just a simple router firmware update.