JLS - Beginning of the End?

2»

Comments

• amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I think JLS have been very successful for an XF act but haven't really developed over the past few years. Still seem to have a large fanbase so I wouldn't write them off just yet but I do agree their shelf life is getting shorter.
  • Digital PieDigital Pie Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Their songs recently have been crap

simple as that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't mind them :o but they've not really progressed. They've probably sold enough albums now to be deemed a good success story of they split up any time soon. I asked my little sister (12) who happens to be ten years my junior if she'd like their new album for Christmas but she's desperate to see One Direction in concert. She saw Justin Bieber last year and I'm afraid JLS aren't her thing anymore.

Their latest single sounds like something from the Justin Timberlake album Justified that I owned when I was my sister's age and ice skating along too at an ice disco...

Lol this post rung true for me as well. My best friend's kid sister is 10, yet as little as 2 years ago she was absolutely JLS mad. Had all the albums, posters, the school bag, the pencil case, went to their tour, got the official tour jersey, had the doll collection, even got to MEET them after her dad won some radio competition for her...yet slowly but surely her attentions have turned more to The Wanted, 1D and Bieber. Mention JLS and her nose crinkles up and she shakes her head as if to say 'they are SO last year!'. Such is the life of a boyband, they are pretty much unable to compete long term in the young market. Sometimes there is an exception, such as Westlife and Boyzone, but they are just that; exceptions. Even Take That had to go away and bask in the shadow of Robbie's solo success before they could relaunch. I'm sure JLS have accomplished more than enough to be considered a success in X Factor terms, and in reality 'the end' could actually be a rather drawn out process; a greatest hits CD, book deals as a group and for individual members, TV presenting gigs, possibly fitness DVDs. Not to mention if they all start marrying off and having kids, plenty of chances to make more fortune in the glossy pages of OK!. And that's all if they don't have a collosal fall out first and start selling stories on each other to The Sun!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought album 4 and prefer it to album 3 - the R'n'B sound really suits them :)

I think they are trying for a more 'grown up' market, which is a wise move as teenagers are so fickle. Girls will have moved from JLS to 1 Direction - now no doubt there are already some moving from 1 Direction to Union J/District 3 ;)

For me, the only difference between these three groups is the number of members - they are practically clones otherwise::cool:

JLS as an R'n'B boyband are at least different from the others. And they still have a fan base as they have just won their 5th MOBO :)
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    As in Leona's song 'Run' :confused: I love that song :)

They must still have some popularity, they just won their 5th MOBO ;)

They are supposedly going more R'n'B than pop/dance floor. I will be buying the album anyway :)

It is Snow Patrols Run Leona merely did an abysmal cover of the song god only knows how awful JLS' version will be the destruction of a once great song is now complete.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am interested to see how The Wanted do before I think it is the end of the road for JLS. Sales right now appear to be abysmal
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the reason for their decline must be down to Marvins facial hair. It looks awful on him.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evolution is #3 in the midweeks! Quite shocked its so high, considering its position on iTunes, but happy! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Snowyface wrote: »
    Evolution is #3 in the midweeks! Quite shocked its so high, considering its position on iTunes, but happy! :D

I'm not shocked at all. I don't know why people look at iTunes stats and conclude an act is flopping because their album is at #20 on iTunes :sleep:, they must think the physicals do not exist anymore but frankly that's clearly not the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowyface wrote: »

Wow that's great - hope it holds up for Sunday:D

What chart position did Jukebox make, can anyone remember :confused:

Also how is Robbie's album doing as they were hoping to beat him again ;)
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's great - hope it holds up for Sunday:D

What chart position did Jukebox make, can anyone remember :confused:

Also how is Robbie's album doing as they were hoping to beat him again ;)

Jukebox made #2, as did Outta This World, and JLS was obviously #1.

I think it's safe to say Round 2 goes to Robbie (who's #1 and selling double #2).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Acts rush out albums so quickly now - sometimes two a year.
    Back in the 80'S when i started buying music, artists released the albums every couple of years and took time and effort to get it right.

The new JLS song is awful and very repetitive lyrics
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    I think they're going to do a bit of a McFly tbh. Their first two/three albums would sell really well, but after that their fans gradually start to lose interest and become more keen on groups such as One Direction or maybe even Union J soon, or any other new and 'fit' boyband.

Not me on the other hand, I still buy all of McFly and JLS' music :o

Think it points to the decline in standard of talent these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how many albums was in the deal they signed at the start? i remember it being an album a year for so many years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    If they are smart, they'll release 'Hold Me Down' as their next single. That one could be a real hit. Their best song since 'One Shot' IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I dont think they will split just like that. I have to say I havent listen to the new album yet, but all I cant think is they need to change their style, directing to older audiences, cause the generic pop songs are actually damaging their image and distracting people from the talent they have. At first I was annoyed by the song Take a chance on me, but I think sticking to the RnB ballads would fit them really well, and could make them sell records for a few years more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the latest album is a big improvement on the last so I hope people give it a listen :)
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought album 4 and prefer it to album 3 - the R'n'B sound really suits them :)

I think they are trying for a more 'grown up' market, which is a wise move as teenagers are so fickle. Girls will have moved from JLS to 1 Direction - now no doubt there are already some moving from 1 Direction to Union J/District 3 ;)

For me, the only difference between these three groups is the number of members - they are practically clones otherwise::cool:

JLS as an R'n'B boyband are at least different from the others. And they still have a fan base as they have just won their 5th MOBO :)

Why?? They haven't been signed. What happened to the 2 boybands from last year??:confused:
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS confuse me. Most bands get better over time. They don`t.

Louis out of touch/ideas?
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is easy for people saying they need to aim for the older market but the style of the band is really about energy and dancing and hip hop which is mostly a sort of young thing. They need to reinvent themselves and look to mix it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you look at their performances on X-Factor you really think "wow, they could have been massive" and then you look at the material they've released (either cheesy old fashioned r'n'b ballads or autotuned generic club songs) and it's a real shame.

The best thing they done was 'Eyes Wide Shut'.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    When you look at their performances on X-Factor you really think "wow, they could have been massive" and then you look at the material they've released (either cheesy old fashioned r'n'b ballads or autotuned generic club songs) and it's a real shame.

The best thing they done was 'Eyes Wide Shut'.

I agree. I still think their audition was my favourite ever XF audition. They had so much potential but they seem to have allowed themselves to be sold out just to churn out albums too quickly.