Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• OMcOMc Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Friday 19 December (BT Sport 2)

Round 10 - Sale Sharks v Exeter Chiefs

Martin Bayfield presenting live from the AJ Bell Stadium alongside Austin Healey, David Flatman and Dwayne Peel.

Commentators: Alastair Eykyn, David Flatman & Austin Healey

Reporter: Chris Hollins

This game is one of four over the next four rounds that is available to watch for free to Sky and BT TV customers and via the website.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brief piece here from the European Tour website about Renton Laidlaw who announced his retirement from golf commentary this week

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=245353.html
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday 19th December - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Live: Cardiff Blues v Scarlets

Ross Harries presenting from the Cardiff Arms Park alongside Dafydd James and Martyn Williams, with Sean Holley in the analysis truck

This also marked the first time I've seen BBC News' Sportsday at 18:30 do a crossover to whatever game BBC Wales are showing, as Ross and Johnathan did a 2 minute preview of the game.

Must be Christmas or somefin' :D
    I don't think there's a Welsh language alternative commentary available tonight, what with the match not being on Freeview's Red Button.

That was correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saturday 20 December (BT Sport 1)

Round 10 - Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers

Martin Bayfield presenting live from Franklin's Gardens alongside Alex Corbisiero and Ben Kay.

Commentators: Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Paul Grayson
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pro 12 - SS1/2
    Alex Payne presented at Scotstoun with Alan Quinlan and Rory Lawson.

Glasgow v Munster
    Comms: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes and Frankie Sheahan
    Reporter: Rory Lawson

Ospreys v Ulster
    Comms: Mark Robson, Ieuan Evans and Tyrone Howe

Said it before but Rory Lawson is becoming quite the find for me. Really good at punditry and as a reporter.

Shame they have using Tyrone Howe less/2nd choice though. Think he is better than Sheahan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saturday 20 December (BT Sport 1)

Round 10 - Gloucester v Bath

Sarra Elgan presenting live from Kingsholm alongside James Simpson-Daniel.

Commentators: Nick Mullins, David Flatman & Austin Healey
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Brief piece here from the European Tour website about Renton Laidlaw who announced his retirement from golf commentary this week

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=245353.html

Seems as if he has been around for ever (I checked and he's actually 75!)

Great career - I remember him doing golf for ITV back in the days when ITV did golf - showing my age!

Reading that link it's very sad to hear of the death of both Peter Oosterhuis's sister and Brian Barnes's wife in the last year - must say I don't remember either being reported at the time - but maybe I just missed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Great career - I remember him doing golf for ITV back in the days when ITV did golf - showing my age!

Reading that link it's very sad to hear of the death of both Peter Oosterhuis's sister and Brian Barnes's wife in the last year - must say I don't remember either being reported at the time - but maybe I just missed it.

I hadn't seen anything about them either, can only presume they weren't widely reported in the golfing media
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Croft, as predicited by some presented the daytime coverage of the PDC darts today, and commentated on the first game tonight. He tweeted the other day saying he'd be involved 'over the duration'. So that is good.

Laura James is still absolutely hopeless at interviewing. Her interview with Taylor last night was awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Sunday 21 December (BT Sport 2)

Round 10 - Wasps v London Irish

Craig Doyle in the studio alongside Ben Kay and Gareth Steenson. Sarra Elgan at the Ricoh Arena with Lawrence Dallaglio.

Commentators: Nick Mullins, Lawrence Dallaglio & Paul Grayson

Reporter: Sarra Elgan
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you aren't swayed by anything else on Boxing day night, then S4C will be airing a documentary about how Huw Llewellyn Davies got into sports commentary at 8.30pm.

What with S4C shows now being uploaded onto the BBC iPlayer, no doubt it'll be placed onto there at a later date.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 21st December - S4C

Clwb Rygbi: Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre

Gareth Roberts presented from Rodney Parade alongside Gruff Rees and Nicky Robinson

Commentators: Gareth Charles and Gwyn Jones

Red Button commentators: Andy Moore and Sean Holley (commentary in English)

Reporter: Dot Davies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 21st December - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Sunday

Ross Harries presented alongside Jonathan Thomas and Phil Davies, with Bethan Clement

Guinness Pro12
    Ospreys v Ulster - Andy Moore and Dafydd James (as S4C Red Button)
    Cardiff Blues v Scarlets - Gareth Charles, Jonathan Davies and Martyn Williams
    Newport Gwent Dragons v Zebre - Andy Moore and Sean Holley (as S4C Red Button)

Principality Premiership
    Saturday Round-up - Bethan Clement

SWALEC League Division One East
    Rhiwbina v Penallta - Rick O'Shea (reporting)

Interview with Owen Williams - Ross Harries
    Review of the Year - Eddie Butler and Jonathan Davies

Linking in to Eddie and Jonathan's review of Welsh rugby in 2014, Ross said it was the last Scrum V Sunday of the season - I'm sure this was just a small gaff and what he meant to say was that it's the last show of the year (there isn't usually a show on the last Sunday of the year despite the Boxing Day matchround and there isn't a show on Sunday 4th January, probably due to BBC TV's coverage of the FA Cup and BDO World Darts Championship that weekend). Indeed I'm guessing they wouldn't have tinkered with their studio graphics if that wasn't the case.

Sky Sports 2's post-match interview with Rhys Webb was used after the Ospreys v Ulster edit, along with those conducted from them by Phil Steele at Blues v Scarlets and S4C's Dot Davies at Dragons v Zebre. Anyone know who SS2's reporter was? It was the one detail missing from pakokelso93's post on Sky's Saturday Pro12 coverage.
  • AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Renton Laidlaw also hosted Sport on 2 and Sports Report from 1985-1987. John Inverdale succeeded him.
  • thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Anyone know who the commentators are for the current NZ v. Sri Lanka test match? For boxing day in Australia it was Mark Nicholas, James Brayshaw, Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Michael Slater, Ian Chappell, Shane Warne, Bill Lawry and the injured aussie captian Michael Clarke.

Great to hear Bill!! He seems to basically only do boxing day now. I also read that Sourav Ganguly was meant to join the Channel Nine team for tests 3 & 4 but I didn't hear him at all in the morning session. Pretty poor that Nine has 3 in the box, seemingly millions of commentators but no commentator for the touring side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing Day - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Live: Cardiff Blues v Newport Gwent Dragons

Ross Harries presenting from the Cardiff Arms Park alongside Martyn Williams and Robert Jones, with Phil Davies in the analysis truck

Commentators: Gareth Charles, Jonathan Davies and Martyn Williams

Reporter: Phil Steele

There wasn't a Welsh language alternative commentary available as Final Score is taking priority on the Red Button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know who the commentators are for the current NZ v. Sri Lanka test match? For boxing day in Australia it was Mark Nicholas, James Brayshaw, Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Michael Slater, Ian Chappell, Shane Warne, Bill Lawry and the injured aussie captian Michael Clarke.

Great to hear Bill!! He seems to basically only do boxing day now. I also read that Sourav Ganguly was meant to join the Channel Nine team for tests 3 & 4 but I didn't hear him at all in the morning session. Pretty poor that Nine has 3 in the box, seemingly millions of commentators but no commentator for the touring side.

From the coverage I saw of NZ vs Sri Lanka some of the commenators were Ian Smith, Simon Doull, Mark Richardson, Russell Arnold, Scott Styris, Craig Cumming and Ken Rutherford
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the most bizarre rugby screening of the day on a channel...

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster - BBC Alba
    Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan and Colin Gregor
    Red Button - English comms: Paul Mitchell and John Beattie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the most bizarre rugby screening of the day on a channel...

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster - BBC Alba
    Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan and Colin Gregor
    Red Button - English comms: Paul Mitchell and John Beattie

Wasn't one I expected to find, but was glad they showed it. Did they carry it because Sky have picked Glasgow vs Edinburgh tomorrow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Wasn't one I expected to find, but was glad they showed it. Did they carry it because Sky have picked Glasgow vs Edinburgh tomorrow?

I guess so. I know Sky are supposed to only show one 'leg' of a game. I.E tomorrow Glasgow v Edinburgh - meaning following week BBC Scotland has to show. I wonder how this doesn't apply to Munster v Leinster as it hasn't been shown on UK TV - surely Sky should be allowed to show both Munster/Leinster ties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess so. I know Sky are supposed to only show one 'leg' of a game. I.E tomorrow Glasgow v Edinburgh - meaning following week BBC Scotland has to show. I wonder how this doesn't apply to Munster v Leinster as it hasn't been shown on UK TV - surely Sky should be allowed to show both Munster/Leinster ties.

This could have something to do with how Sky Sports are broadcasting to both the UK and Republic of Ireland - perhaps the terms of the contract enable TG4 to hold exclusivity over one of Munster v Leinster derbies in ROI, thus allowing a UK-only broadcaster to cover it in Britain. I know S4C have shown this fixture in previous seasons.

On the subject of S4C, I notice that both they and Sky Sports are televising both of the Ospreys v Scarlets derby games over the next eight days. I'm wondering if this is a contractual thing as well - perhaps the Christmas derbies involving the Welsh regions, which I know BBC Wales always make a big deal out of, have to be split evenly between BBC Two Wales and S4C? Indeed all six of the Christmas derbies will be shown free-to-air, with a 3-3 split between the two channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could have something to do with how Sky Sports are broadcasting to both the UK and Republic of Ireland - perhaps the terms of the contract enable TG4 to hold exclusivity over one of Munster v Leinster derbies in ROI, thus allowing a UK-only broadcaster to cover it in Britain. I know S4C have shown this fixture in previous seasons.

Good thinking there. It was an odd surprise. BBC Alba comms in their cupboard (or disused studio full of equipment that looks like a rolled in tv on wheels school style). 😂😂
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pro 12 - Sky Sports 1
    Glasgow v Edinburgh

Alex Payne presenting from the Liberty Stadium (for Ospreys v Scarlets later) with Scott Quinnell and Rory Lawson.

Commentary: Mark Robson, Scott Hastings :( and Will Greenwood.

Reporter: Will Greenwood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ME wrote: »
    Pro 12 - Sky Sports 1
    Glasgow v Edinburgh

Alex Payne presenting from the Liberty Stadium (for Ospreys v Scarlets later) with Scott Quinnell and Rory Lawson.

Commentary: Mark Robson, Scott Hastings :( and Will Greenwood.

Reporter: Will Greenwood

Ospreys v Scarlets
    Commentary: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes and Ieuan Evans.

Reporter: Rory Lawson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sky Sports 2's post-match interview with Rhys Webb was used after the Ospreys v Ulster edit, along with those conducted from them by Phil Steele at Blues v Scarlets and S4C's Dot Davies at Dragons v Zebre. Anyone know who SS2's reporter was? It was the one detail missing from pakokelso93's post on Sky's Saturday Pro12 coverage.

Week late or so I'm sure Tyrone Howe conducted the interviews last weekend. Seems to be the case for Sky the game that isn't where the presenters are the 'third man' in the box does the reporting role too.