F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now you have no option but to get the Sky Sports pack on any provider.

Your options are (I think I have got them all) are:
    Sky:
    £43.50 (basic TV package (required) and Sky Sports pack, not in HD)

Talktalk:
    £52.90 (Essential TV package with Sky Sports and line rental)

Sky Go Monthly Ticket:
    £35 (pay as you go basis)
    Need a Computer or Xbox 360 (with Xbox Live)

Now TV:
    £9.99 per day (pay as you go basis)
    Needs a computer or Now TV box.

There is of course a free option that shall not be talked about :D

Ta. That was pretty much the conclusion I'd reached, but the experience of others is always welcome.

I don't talk about things that shall not be talked about on here. Got into trouble about that before.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buddy2008 wrote: »
    Send me the bank details of your Lagos agent...

George is waiting for your call

Jp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Just heard something I did not know.

Sky's TV live race, qualy and practice commentary and pitlane of F1 (Croft/Brundle/Nat and Ted) is broadcast on the Australian FTA TV channels Ten and One.
    Also the BBC commentary/pitlane is used for Canadian pay TV channel TSN who show all the races live.

One HD/Ten in Australia only broadcast Qualy/Race for weekends other than Melbourne, where they do the practice sessions.

Races & qualy are full of ads and padded each side with talking heads in a studio. Generally made up of idiotic comments from Alan Jones who proves again and again he doesn't understand current F1 and shouldn't be a driver steward....
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Not F1 related but some might here know the answer. Marcello Lotti is no longer in charge of the WTCC. It seems Eurosport wanted changes to the events, and he disagreed. In Autosport he seems to imply that Discovery's purchase of shares in Eurosport was linked some how. Does anyone know what these proposed changes are?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    swarve wrote: »
    One HD/Ten in Australia only broadcast Qualy/Race for weekends other than Melbourne, where they do the practice sessions.

Races & qualy are full of ads and padded each side with talking heads in a studio. Generally made up of idiotic comments from Alan Jones who proves again and again he doesn't understand current F1 and shouldn't be a driver steward....

Oh dear I would have thought Alan Jones in the studio would have been good.
    Do they have Ads during the Race like ITV did?

Do you get all the extra feeds that sky show via their red button, online and app offerings?
    I know that One/Ten have their Tenplay apps (iOS and even Windows 8, with Android coming soon ;-)), xbox and PC for their channels, as its through a recent presentation that I heard this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Do they have Ads during the Race like ITV did?

Do you get all the extra feeds that sky show via their red button, online and app offerings?
    I know that One/Ten have their Tenplay apps (iOS and even Windows 8, with Android coming soon ;-)), xbox and PC for their channels, as its through a recent presentation that I heard this.

Yep ads during the race and between qualifying sessions! The only time a major portion of the race went ad free was Canada 2011 after the restart - guessing they showed all the ads they were required to combined with the fact Canada starts at 4am AEST

Always hear Crofty plug the various methods of watching via the companion app or which drivers can be watched via the onboard channels - none of which are available. Red button style additional channels don't really exist in Australia so no real way to provide them except online, which they don't. I'm sure FOM charge extra for everything on top of the world feed which network ten wouldn't have paid
    Forum Member
    swarve wrote: »
    Yep ads during the race and between qualifying sessions! The only time a major portion of the race went ad free was Canada 2011 after the restart - guessing they showed all the ads they were required to combined with the fact Canada starts at 4am AEST

Always hear Crofty plug the various methods of watching via the companion app or which drivers can be watched via the onboard channels - none of which are available. Red button style additional channels don't really exist in Australia so no real way to provide them except online, which they don't. I'm sure FOM charge extra for everything on top of the world feed which network ten wouldn't have paid

Ok, so those apps are only used for live and catchup tv.
    Makes Sky service seem so superior, when you hear what others have.
    Must be well annoying hearing a commentary team mention a UK only addition.
    Pain having Ads during the race, they always seem to happen at the vital times, but with the commentary your seeing, there will not be any catchup after the Ads.
    Still, at least you can watch it live, there is nothing worse in my view than not being able to watch Sport live, makes you feel your there and with all the other things you can do with apps, online, live timing etc these days, makes for a great live viewing experience.
    Forum Member
    Its the Ferrari reveal today, just love their reveal video and good interviews with Luca, Alonso, Stefano and Kimi.
    http://f14t.ferrari.com/en/

Having seen the McLaren and Ferrari now, I'm really liking this very different design. But then Ferrari Red always looks great.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Its the Ferrari reveal today, just love their video.

Having seen the McLaren and Ferrari now, I'm really liking this very different design. But then Ferrari Red always looks great.

So, McLaren have designed an anteater and now Ferrari have given us a platypus! :D
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like most Italians I know...
    They look best from behind

Jp
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Its the Ferrari reveal today, just love their reveal video and good interviews with Luca, Alonso, Stefano and Kimi.

No!

Something must be done, regulations wise, for 2015.

Will be interesting to see the casual fans reaction to these designs.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No!

Something must be done, regulations wise, for 2015.

Will be interesting to see the casual fans reaction to these designs.

Trouble is, that usually leads to all the cars looking the same which I don't want. They look bloody ugly yes but as an Engineer it's fascinating to see different peoples solution to the massive problem they were given when the regulations came out. It been the most interesting lunch season for very many years.

I'm enjoying the launches this year more than last season! :D

With these new regulations we are going to have distinctive cars up and down the grid and possibly some different sounds as well.

The Mclaren for me looks quite good and striking, the lotus just looks plain odd and that Ferrari looks like a totally different solution to the regulations.

Fascinating stuff.
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Trouble is, that usually leads to all the cars looking the same which I don't want. They look bloody ugly yes but as an Engineer it's fascinating to see different peoples solution to the massive problem they were given when the regulations came out. It been the most interesting lunch season for very many years.

I'm enjoying the launches this year more than last season! :D

With these new regulations we are going to have distinctive cars up and down the grid and possibly some different sounds as well.

The Mclaren for me looks quite good and striking, the lotus just looks plain odd and that Ferrari looks like a totally different solution to the regulations.

Fascinating stuff.

Well I'm HUNGRY for some changes!

Make the solution a challenge too and you can have both technical challenge and not have to cover your copy of F1 Racing with a newspaper to avoid the shame of people seeing you with one of those appendages on the front page!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm HUNGRY for some changes!

Make the solution a challenge too and you can have both technical challenge and not have to cover your copy of F1 Racing with a newspaper to avoid the shame of people seeing you with one of those appendages on the front page!

:blush: Oops!

It's going to be about finding a balence, F1 is usually not very good at that.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    I really like the new lower noses, I'd prefer them not to have the extra finger sticking out the front but been honest even those haven't really been bothering me as much as I was expecting them to.

Quite fond of the McLaren, Finger & all & really like the look of the Ferrari. Not so keen on the Lotus though.

For anyone watching the Rolex 24, OnBoard streams here. Not that most of them work sadly:
    http://www.imsa.com/camera/united-sportscar/race-central
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    Right folks. What, in your collective wisdom, is the cheapest way of watching every session live this year? Only limitations: I can't get Virgin Media, and I don't want to mess around with foreign channels.

the cheapest way, without a doubt, would be to find a pub run by a motorsport enthusiast
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am unsure of the new noses, having a look at the McLaren, I get a feeling as if something is missing, maybe I am too used to the old style, but this is certainly different.
    Right folks. What, in your collective wisdom, is the cheapest way of watching every session live this year? Only limitations: I can't get Virgin Media, and I don't want to mess around with foreign channels.

Simple - find a stream and watch it that way. I'd love to for sure use official purposes, but Sky have basically forced us to now pay for the channel instead of it being inclusive which we can't afford, so I'll let the power and beauty of the Internet find me a solution.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Noses are massively ugly but at least they all look distinctive, no doubt everyone will converge on a similar solution but until then I'm going to enjoy the cars actually looking different.
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    the cheapest way, without a doubt, would be to find a pub run by a motorsport enthusiast

*puts official hat on*

Hello sirs in the quote tree, have you heard of the endeavour known as F1InPubs?

www.f1inpubs.co.uk

It allows you to find exactly what you said, a pub full of fellow enthusiasts showing every race live!

*takes official hat off*

;)
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one to think the cars look decent? If not beautiful, but quite nice.
  • Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see some different ideas for a change!
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Allan McNish confirmed as BBC 5 Live co-commentator.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/bbc-f1-2014-presenter-line-up.html
    Allan will be live from the radio commentary box for 15 of the 19 races and will also feature across the BBC’s F1 output.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish Sky would repeat the testing coverage during the day, it would make avoiding recording clashes so much easier.
  • gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member

Excellent addition to the team, hopefully he'll feature quite a lot in the TV pre and post race coverage.
This discussion has been closed.