Options

Up to 50 MPs back the urgent scrapping of the BBC Licence Fee

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    As for Arqiva, the company that runs Britain’s terrestrial TV masts, they don't get any Licence fee money.

Pretty silly point of view, of course they receive licence fee money - where do you think the millions the BBC pays them comes from? :D

It's just not paid directly to them.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope, like the majority of the country, the fee is scrapped.

Sigh, Yet another licence fee thread.

So you have spoken to EVERYONE in the UK then? Or was that based on a conversation with a bloke in the pub?
  • Options
    mitchey316mitchey316 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it isn't. A basic Sky subscription requires you to pay for a load of channels you may not watch. I quite like Sky Arts but I would have to pay £20 a month for a load of channels I don't want just to be able to watch it.

But you have a choice whether to pay for it or not. If I only want to watch itv I still have to pay for channels that I do not want.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got anything to back up that nonsense statement? The majority?

Yes the majority. Here is the poll. Hurt much? ;-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10423117/BBC-licence-fee-should-be-cut-or-scrapped-poll-finds.html
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mitchey316 wrote: »
    But you have a choice whether to pay for it or not. If I only want to watch itv I still have to pay for channels that I do not want.
    So do you with the BBC as you don't have to have a TV. I bet as well that without the TV licence very few channels would be FTA. For starters Freesat would not exist without the licence fee and Freeview may not either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Sigh, Yet another licence fee thread.

Like UKIP, it is not going to go away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes that impartial telegraph. Show me an accurate poll from an impartial source? No? Thought not. Hurt much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like UKIP, it is not going to go away!
    So you agree that the licence fee isn't going away? Good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, you are right, the Telegraph must have fudged the numbers.

Let me search for a Poll in the Labour Gazette for you..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you agree that the licence fee isn't going away? Good.

Oh no, the Licence Fee is going to come a thing of the past and soon. But don't worry, you will be able to fund it individually if you want to watch it through subscription. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the ICM poll must be fudged because the Tories and the Telegraph have a relationship? LOL

Here is a Comres poll from this year that states the majority of the UK want the Licence Fee scrapped:

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/204212/uk-divided-on-scrapping-licence-fee/

Why does democracy hurt BBC aficionados?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh well if MPs say the license fee should be ended, then end it now, and shut down the entire BBC whilst we are at it, im sure they all get Sky on expenses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hatred shown to those who want the fee scrapped, their emotion alone could fund the BBC.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the ICM poll must be fudged because the Tories and the Telegraph have a relationship? LOL

Here is a Comres poll from this year that states the majority of the UK want the Licence Fee scrapped:

That one shows 44% against a subscription fee model. :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the BBC could get better programs if the Licence Fee wasn't frozen, I hate this Tories government and his 49 MPs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you actually read all of that poll? It doesn't clearly state the majority want the licence fee scrapped at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    51% supported scrapping the licence fee * Actual text from poll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    That one shows 44% against a subscription fee model. :D

LOL, you wish. :D The actual text:

Some 44% of respondents opposed abolishing the licence fee
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, you wish. :D The actual text:

Some 44% of respondents opposed abolishing the licence fee
    ...and introducing a subscription fee paid only by those who want to access the BBC.

Plus 20% unsure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also says about how split the population is on the issue. Again read more on what is being said. I would also like to ask why these people are watching the BBC instead of commercial television if they think being funded wholly on advertising doesn't affect the quality of programming? This poll also says the majority are against subscription.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is almost like you don't understand English.

Nearly half of those questioned – 49 per cent – said the charge should be scrapped entirely,

From the article you have posted from by the way. 49% is not the majority of people wanting the fee scrapped. That is before you look into the integrity of the poll and check to see how impartial and balanced it is.

You have to laugh when people think that 49% is the majority when 51% (a higher figure) don't want it scrapped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, the Licence Fee is going to come a thing of the past and soon. But don't worry, you will be able to fund it individually if you want to watch it through subscription. ;-)
    So you are going to fund everybody who has to change their equipment? How can I subscribe through Freesat or through FM or DAB?
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And you also linked to a poll which had actual text where 51% supported keeping the licence fee. Or are you one of these who only look at polls which suit your point of view.

So far it is 1-1.

Can you find a tie-breaker?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also says about how split the population is on the issue. Again read more on what is being said. I would also like to ask why these people are watching the BBC instead of commercial television if they think being funded wholly on advertising doesn't affect the quality of programming? This poll also says the majority are against subscription.

If you look at how ITV has fallen having to compete on a commercial level then the idea that the BBC become a subscription channel is worrying for the quality of British television as a whole. At the same time I do think the BBC act far too commercially at times considering they're a subsidised service - such as purchasing The Voice and moving Strictly later into the evening unnecessarily.

Armando Iannucci thinks the BBC should become a subscription service abroad to start with, believing that people will pay for the service there and, in turn, the license fee could then be scrapped in favour of a license fee here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/03/bbc-replace-licence-fee-subscription-armando-ianucci
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    I'm quite happy to pay my 40p a day. I don't think 50 MPs out of over 600 means anything really.