giffgaff : How are people making money out of this?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
Forum Member
I've been on this network for a while and I am wondering whether the members who claim to make 100's / 1000s in payback genuine and how are they managing this?

:confused:

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they are, but they do it through mostly making a nuisance of themselves online on lots of different websites.

They also sit there waiting for some muppet who can't use google to ask a question on the support forum and then in droves answer the same question in about 20 responses. Unbelievably they are paid for posting exactly the same thing as the many people who have already posted above, just worded slightly differently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Yes they are, but they do it through mostly making a nuisance of themselves online on lots of different websites.

They also sit there waiting for some muppet who can't use google to ask a question on the support forum and then in droves answer the same question in about 20 responses. Unbelievably they are paid for posting exactly the same thing as the many people who have already posted above, just worded slightly differently.

In other words they have no lives.

I used to be on GG, and found myself doing this for a while - you literally have to spend hours a day promoting yourself with stupid replies to questions, then hoping people with order a sim and activate it from your link...it's tiresome to say the least. I would much rather have a social life that do this!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Even on their own forum, it looks like any simple question can get several different replies with several completely different answers and the rest repeating whatever was just said.

At least an official customer services rep might be consistently clueless.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Giff Gaff users seem to have the tagline that its the network which can pay you more than you spend, and this is probably true in some cases.

However, if they were to put an hourly rate of even the national minimum wage on the time they spend online doing GG's advertising and support for them, I suspect a few would be out of pocket.

Yes, its a nice idea, but the current thread on their forum talking about paying for a holiday / car / house from Giff Gaff payback put me right off, and I suspect its triggered quite a few back button presses.
  • Haribo76Haribo76 Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined giffgaff for a while but then Ovivo came along and it was a no brainer to switch.

The support forum on giffgaff is pretty tiresome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol - digital spy absolutely loves giffgaff!

I've no idea where all this hatred comes from.

You can earn decent money by answering peoples technical queries on their support pages.

Yeah, a lot of it is the same questions being asked multiple times... But if giffgaff want to pay people for answering them... Then fair enough.

I've done it myself. You don't have to spend your whole life on there... Just the odd half hour when you're bored.

People spend hours on end on these digital spy forums .. You could just as easily say they have no lives either... And that's without getting anything back for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I work alone, my views and opinions are my own, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    I work alone, my views and opinions are my own thanks.

And still highly representative of the whole attitude towards giffgaff on digital spy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haribo76 wrote: »
    I joined giffgaff for a while but then Ovivo came along and it was a no brainer to switch.

The support forum on giffgaff is pretty tiresome.

But having ovivo use your personal data for marketing purposes, and pop up adverts on your phone is absolutely fine?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And still highly representative of the whole attitude towards giffgaff on digital spy

And your point is what exactly?. From what i've read it could also be said that your overly defensive and positive opinion of GG is also representative of the entire GG forum, so how is one more or less valid than the other?.

In the past the only 'attack' i've made on GG is to say that coverage in all of the areas I work and visit is crap, which is a fact. To suggest that its anything more than an opinion and that i'm part of some forum wide conspiracy is ridiculous.

In the real world you'll find people with opinions and views which will frequently differ to your own, sometimes a subject can swing to be overly positive and other times it can be overly negative, if you can't accept that then perhaps a forum isn't the place to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But having ovivo use your personal data for marketing purposes, and pop up adverts on your phone is absolutely fine?

I don't use data so I have never seen an advert yet.

I pay the princely sum of £0 per month to have 150 minutes and 250 texts, which more than does me because I am a light user.

If I do go over then it costs 8p per minute calls and 4p texts.

You won't get a better deal than that.

I am getting for free what I was paying giffgaff for. It might not last of course as it is an unusual business model but it has lasted over a year so far and I am making hay while the sunshines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've no idea where all this hatred comes from.

You can earn decent money by answering peoples technical queries on their support pages.

Yeah, a lot of it is the same questions being asked multiple times... But if giffgaff want to pay people for answering them... Then fair enough.

I've done it myself. You don't have to spend your whole life on there... Just the odd half hour when you're bored.

People spend hours on end on these digital spy forums .. You could just as easily say they have no lives either... And that's without getting anything back for it

How much do they actually earn per reply?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not on a massive salary but I'd imagine that my time is worth more than it would take to earn enough to pay for the £10 my monthly contract costs.

Plus then I can use a decent network that doesn't suffer from interminable failures and lack of 3G coverage.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I am not on a massive salary but I'd imagine that my time is worth more than it would take to earn enough to pay for the £10 my monthly contract costs.

Plus then I can use a decent network that doesn't suffer from interminable failures and lack of 3G coverage.

Ah but if you make people feel like they're running the network or having a say then they'll go out and do all your marketing for you. They'll generally forgive the network no matter how many issues because you feel part of it. There are people all over the country printing off Giffgaff things and pinning them up, or handing out sim cards to people they barely know or don't know at all.

It has a limited niche appeal though because you have to have an unlocked phone, PAYG only, limited 3G coverage and little support. Many people are too busy to spend time doing it, but ok if you're unemployed or a student and you want a little earner on the side it's fine.

My pet hate is the pre-programmed messages and ads people post all over the place, and the fact they post it is the best deal, when often there's other better deals depending on what people want, but NO it's the BEST because they are earning ££ to spam it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    So basically the way it's done is by spamming and pestering people with SIM cards.

I'll give that a miss I think I can't be ar$ed with that. :cool:

I'm considering porting my number to 3 soon for a better 3G signal.