But not in name of the Doctor

fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
Forum Member
When has the Doctor thing "not in name of the doctor" the one I can think of is kill a cave man in an unearthly child.

Comments

• allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant make sense of urr post .. but think whatever it us won't be abwt an unearthly child
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    Cant make sense of urr post .. but think whatever it us won't be abwt an unearthly child

I think what they're asking is on what occasions has The Doctor done something particularly "unDoctorish" i.e. something that conflicts with his moral code and practices?

I would think that the Time War is one such example.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok... think it has to be a timewar thing given the placement of hurts doctor... I just hope its a bit more clever than the obvious thou
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When has the Doctor thing "not in name of the doctor" the one I can think of is kill a cave man in an unearthly child.

The Doctor isn't your classic "good" hero; he's complicated, he has a dark side, such as the incident you mention during William Hartnell's first story. But nothing that quite qualifies as "not acting in the name of the doctor". The John Hurt incarnation must have clearly done something absolutely horrific for it to be regarded as not done in the doctor's name.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    The Doctor isn't your classic "good" hero; he's complicated, he has a dark side, such as the incident you mention during William Hartnell's first story. But nothing that quite qualifies as "not acting in the name of the doctor". The John Hurt incarnation must have clearly done something absolutely horrific for it to be regarded as not done in the doctor's name.

If John Hurt's Doctor is the Time War Doctor then the apparent Genocide of the Timelords & Daleks isn't something that a Doctor would normally do.

Yet 9, 10 & 11 are still happy to claim credit for it, so it will be interesting how they explain it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Maybe Hurts Dr is the first and what he did is why he fled Galifrey?
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He doesn't actually kill the caveman. Ian stopped him. But of course there was nothing to indicate he didn't fully intend to kill him.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McCoy tricking Davros into blowing up Skaro always struck me as a bit extreme.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangling Peri was pretty unDoctorish.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSKm2HPYXI is a bit unDoctorish and so is a lot of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74 WARNING: Sweary soundtrack on 2nd vid.
    The Doctor has issues but then so do humans.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why he needs freinds around him. So when he is going "dark" they can stop him.
    GI listed all the baddies the doctor has fought and defeated over the years.Maybe if they stoped trying to take over the universe every week he could retire to keep bees and paint!. Sadly it looks like he will end up back on trenzalore. Started with a war so suppose it has to end with a war. Will just be a smaller scale his final battle.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the Eleventh Doctor says that to him is more like addressing an adversary than another incarnation of himself,

He doesn't seem to have a grasp of the John Hurt Doctor's motivations, nor does he seem to take personal responsibilty for them in the way that the Ninth and Tenth Doctor's display their guilt over the Time War.

So I still think, Despite what we've been led to believe, that Hurt will turn out to be the incarnation AFTER Smith and Capaldi will either follow him or re-write him.

Maybe the Doctor made a promise to himself never to undo the Time Lock but Hurt's Doctor did that very thing?
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    In "The Beast Below" Eleven says that if he lobotomizes the space whale he'll have to find a new name for himself because he won't be the Doctor anymore.

Pretty big clue there I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was dropping the bombs on Japan to end WWII 'in the name of' democracy?

No, it was a horrific act taken by one party to further the ends of peace.

John Hurt is the Dr who dropped the bomb, 9/10/11 are complicit but did not give their consent as such. The core Doctor could not agree to it, but a splinter of the Doctor could push the button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangling Peri was pretty unDoctorish.

What he did he did in the name of peace and sanity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What he did he did in the name of peace and sanity.

And tea-time bikini shots..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    And tea-time bikini shots..

That too.
    Maybe that's why the Doctor finished the Time War? ;). Maybe the Time Lords went to battle in very few clothes. The Day of the Doctor could turn out to be an exciting time "for the Dads", as they say, as well. :D
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That too.
    Maybe that's why the Doctor finished the Time War? ;). Maybe the Time Lords went to battle in very few clothes. The Day of the Doctor could turn out to be an exciting time "for the Dads", as they say, as well. :D

I am sorry but I am not sure that I want to see the Doctor in a Speedo. While I am sure that some would enjoy seeing him running around with his sonic tucked in his speedo, I'm sure the BBC will draw the line! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    I am sorry but I am not sure that I want to see the Doctor in a Speedo. While I am sure that some would enjoy seeing him running around with his sonic tucked in his speedo, I'm sure the BBC will draw the line! :D

It gets worse, there will be three Doctors running around in speedos. :eek:
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gets worse, there will be three Doctors running around in speedos. :eek:

Does Matt get to say "Bow Ties and Speedos are Cool!" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thongs and Relative Dimensions In Speedos..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    Does Matt get to say "Bow Ties and Speedos are Cool!" :D

Yes, and then the Cybermen will delete the speedos. :p or the Daleks will exterminate them.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously? Intelligent Dr who fans Raving About Trunks?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rant Warning!

Has there been any official confirmation that Hurt is the Time War Doctor?

Although I reckon he probably is, I thought to myself earlier "What would I write if I had the task of writing the 50th Anniversary episode"?

The answer somewhat surprised me. I wouldn't mention the time war at all. I'd go back to the very beginning, before The Doctor and Susan were exiles and show why they left Gallifrey in the first place. This would be the obvious place to celebrate the 50th anniversary as it does not alienate new or classic fans (although I personally see it as one long series with a few breaks here and there) and goes right back to the beginning. The Doctor must have had a good reason for fleeing Gallifrey. So Hurt would either be playing a younger William Hartnell, or a previous incarnation. Perhaps the apochryphal The Other.

But then again either of those options, and an underwhelming backstory could probably upset all fans, and might be the worst possible way to celebrate it. Time war seems like a safe bet.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been any official confirmation that Hurt is the Time War Doctor?

No there hasn't.

First there was fan speculation based on the photo of Hurt wearing Eccleston's coat.

Following that there was apparent "confirmation" from the costume designer whose description of Hurt's Doctor sounded like it was lifted directly from fan speculation in a forum...

...this was then reported on one sci-fi website and picked up by a tabloid newspaper...

...It was then stated on another sci-fi website as being "officially confirmed" in that newspaper.

So now people are assuming that is a definite because it's what they themselves were speculating to begin with.

Seems to me that fans have just been told what they want to hear - that they guessed right and don't need to guess again.
    Great way of keeping things under wraps ;)