13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Who is number one?

I wonder if that's mentioned in the new series.

Actually, it is addressed explicitly in the new series.

I've just finished watching it. I'd say that at most you could argue that the new series was loosely inspired by the original because it ends up in a very, very different space by the end.

To be honest, I'm not sure I found the last two episodes that satisfying. Certainly not as wildly off-piste as the last episode of the US's Life on Mars but they take it in a direction that has nothing to do with the original series in their efforts to answer the questions and close it all off.

Can we discuss this on this thread?
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched the first few moments of it, I feel absolutely justified in saying that the remake is totally in the spirit of the original, and is very much honouring the original tale whilst bringing modern issues into the story.

Lets face it, the original, whilst a classic and its overarching tale was excellent, could at times be a steaming pile of excrement, suitable only for those in the mid 60s that were taking hallucinogenic drugs. At times it was a disjointed, contradictory and out of shape mess of a show that didn't make sense. That didn't make it great, it destroyed the show.

You don't have to keep living on nostalgia, and reimagining the show for a new audience in a different time of war, is an excellent idea.

I very much enjoyed it.

I have to agree with you, stateofgameplay.

I was probably as sceptical as Chris Fluffy when I read about the Prisoner remake, but I was quite impressed by what I've seen.

In some ways, I think the new setting of the Village is more effective than the original. Portmeirion is just a completely bonkers location on whatever level you look at it. The new Village design, based on a sort of dust-bowl retro suburban theme is a lot more unsettling, in my opinion; because it's closer to reality, but not quite..

I think the lead role could have been better cast with a more quirky older actor - Nicholas Campbell from DaVinci Inquest, for example, but this is only a minor quibble, really.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    rhod wrote: »
    Nicholas Campbell from DaVinci Inquest, for example.

Has DaVinci's Inquest aired in the UK? If so, what channel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living TV used to air it in the UK in the middle of the night, but I came across it after reading about it somewhere & downloading..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Living TV used to air it in the UK in the middle of the night, but I came across it after reading about it somewhere & downloading..

I gather you liked the show if you went to the trouble of downloading, but do you have any other impressions, comments about the series? I am curious because not too many Brits seem to watch any Canadian TV. Did you see all seven seasons of Da Vinci's Inquest? That would have been a lot of downloading.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question for anyone that has watched both version...

Is the original as confused in its storytelling? Or did have more of a traditional structure?

At the moment, while I am interested to see "what happens", it's not necessarily for the sake of the protagonist but more to know why. I think the editing and pacing is at times quite hard to follow... perhaps because I'm so used to traditional storytelling! Ah, well.

Quite interesting to see people have quite strong views on the remake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Question for anyone that has watched both version...

Is the original as confused in its storytelling? Or did have more of a traditional structure?

The original is even more "experimental," with more stuff happening that makes a viewer scratch his head.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This version explains everything. It is a total different concept. They didn't even need to call the place 'the village'. It could have been the 'nexus', 'simland' or even 'the matrix' :D. It wasn't a case of updating the original, it's a total different story but with the same 'characters' as the original.

What annoyed me most is the lead man did not have enough of a persona for me to even care about him. After you watch it you'll agree that Ian Mckellen made the series about number two. Instead of caring what happened to six, I found two the character I wanted to see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The original is even more "experimental," with more stuff happening that makes a viewer scratch his head.:)

Ah, I see.

Well, maybe I'll just stick to this one for the time being then...

Damn American TV. It's dumbed me right down. :)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice there is a 'Jim Caviezel acting coach' listed in the end credits. Heh.

I've now watched the whole thing, and it reminded me of the Matrix sequels, it is completely impenetrable. It's almost unwatchable. Hiring Ian McKellen creates a problem because number 2 is the main character a lot of the time, which takes the focus away from the prisoner.

And could I just add the final scene of the last episode was just laughably bad.

ITV really have a problem with this; I remember reading a comment in Private Eye about The Second Coming that said ITV were stupid for 'making Guardian programming for Sun readers'. Well The Prisoner remake is that on a massive scale. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up on ITV2. It's just nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I gather you liked the show if you went to the trouble of downloading, but do you have any other impressions, comments about the series? I am curious because not too many Brits seem to watch any Canadian TV. Did you see all seven seasons of Da Vinci's Inquest? That would have been a lot of downloading.:)

I'm not normally a fan of cop shows, but I thought DVI had an intriguing mix of grittiness and humour, and the casting and acting was great, too.

I've seen most of season 1, and look forward to (gradually!) seeing the rest as I understand that the plot arc goes off in interesting directions.

I've also enjoyed Robson Arms, The Line and of course, Corner Gas - still can't believe that CG hasn't been picked up by a UK broadcaster - it's one of the funniest shows ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not normally a fan of cop shows, but I thought DVI had an intriguing mix of grittiness and humour, and the casting and acting was great, too.

I've seen most of season 1, and look forward to (gradually!) seeing the rest as I understand that the plot arc goes off in interesting directions.

I've also enjoyed Robson Arms, The Line and of course, Corner Gas - still can't believe that CG hasn't been picked up by a UK broadcaster - it's one of the funniest shows ever.

There was also a short-lived sequel series to Da Vinci's Inquest, called Da Vinci's City Hall. Also very good is Intelligence, a series by the producer of the two DV series.

I also recommend checking out Durham County and ZOS: Zone Of Separation, in my mind the two best Canadian drama series ever.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great performance from Hayley Atwell (and her gorgeous norks); shame about everything else.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    ITV really have a problem with this; I remember reading a comment in Private Eye about The Second Coming that said ITV were stupid for 'making Guardian programming for Sun readers'. Well The Prisoner remake is that on a massive scale. Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up on ITV2. It's just nonsense.

This series is a sensational problem for ITV. It doesn't fit on any of their channels. Certainly, it's as far away from ITV1 and ITV2 as you are likely to get. It would bomb horribly. Maybe, just maybe, they could dump it on ITV3. But it's just not an ITV programme.

It reminded me slightly in tone of Wild Palms if anyone remembers that.

Here, it should go out on BBC4 or More4. At a stretch BBC2 at 10.30pm. But that's too mainstream.

ITV would provoke a riot if it puts it in its traditional drama slot of 9pm on ITV1.

[Can we keep this thread to The Prisoner remake. If Da Vinci is so good then someone start up another thread.]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I notice there is a 'Jim Caviezel acting coach' listed in the end credits. Heh.

Presumably they were perfecting his squint.

I've seen the first two episodes and I really don't know if I'm going to watch the rest...

Maybe after the season slows down round Christmas and I'm desperate for something to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Apologies for dragging up an old thread especially on this topic but just strudggled to the end of episode 6 of this total nonsense (actually skipped episode 5 as didnt want to commit another hour or so of my life to watching it but wanted to see if the last episode made any sense - fat chance).
    Have no intention of comparing it to the original series as I could see no comparison other than characters names but what did I miss? Total unwatchable drivel from start to finish.
    Somebody enlighten me please as to what it was all about as I would like to think that there was some point to it but for the life of me I cannot think what it was. Did I miss something crucial in skipping episode 5? I cant face going back to watch it unless someone convinces me otherwise.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The village is in your head. It's the 'flashbacks' that are really happening. You carry on in normal life while your 'damaged' personality gets fixed by the ideal society of the Village. It's like a shared group dream and it's created by Number Two's wife who dreams it. It's all done by some giant multi-national company. Prozac analogy?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what were the 2 gleaming glass towers there for ?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming soon to ITV 1 and ITV 1 HD...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be on ITV1?

When? At midnight?

Can you imagine the confusion in the ITV1 audience if they tune in at primetime and are confronted with this bizarre, confusing rubbish?

It's going to hang on to the Emmerdale audience? The Coronation Street audience?

This may well be one of the most interesting car crashes on TV this year. Roll on the air date.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    It's going to be on ITV1?

When? At midnight?

Saturday 17 April, 9:30pm - 10:30pm, ITV1 and ITV HD.
    The ITV press release is here.
  • Options
    JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just been shown on Belgian TV (Canvas), nothing like the original, too American, and why are there no bouncing balls, that was the best bit.