Options

Help! Someone is pretending to be me!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay someone has made a gmail account pretending to be me... now they are taunting me by emailing me on my hotmail account!:eek:

Is there any way I can find out who it is? what country/city they are from?? I do realise I have to click the message source but a whole load of numbers and letters come up. Will the I.P address be any handy as I have read gmail accounts tend to have the same IP!

Help.. pretty distressed:(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do the emails say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just making fun of my family and they are emailing all my family and friends being rude on my behalf:rolleyes:

evesapples thanks but I knew that. x
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Block their email. Warn other people about this person pretending to be you.

Or pass the messages on to gmail. Im sure they must have some sort of way of dealing with abusive emails.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey so it must be someone who knows you well then to get all your family and friends' details. Weird. I know you can tell from an IP address from someone's email where they are located - my hubby did it a while back when he was somehow sending out lots of spam. No idea how he did it but I bet you could google something about IP address and location.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    just making fun of my family and they are emailing all my family and friends being rude on my behalf:rolleyes:

evesapples thanks but I knew that. x

Not sure what else to suggest, maybe email gmail? Do you know who the person doing it is?
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Geek wrote: »

Or pass the messages on to gmail. Im sure they must have some sort of way of dealing with abusive emails.

Excellent idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Geek wrote: »

Good advice.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the good/bad things about gmail is that it hides your IP so that is a non-starter.

I think The Geek has the best advice - notify friends/family/work and inform gmail.

How did they get hold of your family and friends email addresses? It must be someone you know well.
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmail doesn't always hide your IP. I have a friend who uses it so I had a look at a couple of mails that I knew came from different IPs and the IPs were there in the source.

OP if it's there on your mails it will be in the last received line just before the message ID
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it as soon as I read the original post, I thought to myself "So the OP got drunk and started being a tit."?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it as soon as I read the original post, I thought to myself "So the OP got drunk and started being a tit."?

excuse me?