Options

The Widower...Thanks for the Spoiler

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    If he had any sense he would have done a Darwin and sailed away in the boat abroad somewhere. Bit disappointed in the finale. Pity there wasn't an explosive ending.

Real life rarely has explosive endings.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

I didn't even recognise her at first .... now, if she'd taken her clothes off, it would have been better.

That suggests that you've seen " more " of her than I have !

Details please :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I am sure she be great in the part, as she is brilliant at everything she does.

Plus she's probably a better singer than Cilla ever was :)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »
    The little tribute to his first wife at the end was a nice touch.

I'll second that, that was very good, could have stretched that to 4 parts and I'd have been 'happy'.
    I'll give it a week or so before looking up some more about him, don't want to colour the drama with the facts at the minute.
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this, Reece Shearsmith was brilliant as Malcolm Webster. Haven't seen anything he's been in before so didn't know much about him but he's such a good actor - the way he went from crying to normal in a split second was frightening. This kept me gripped all the way through as I waited to see how it ended. Glad he got caught in the end as he's a nasty, manipulative man. Shame Sheridan Smith only got 20 minutes worth of screen time but apparently she didn't have much time to fit it in so never mind. Will be keeping an eye on things featuring Reece Shearsmith in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notin wrote: »
    What is more un nerving is that this mad man is probably watching this in prison as we speak ....and feeling pretty good about himself because he has manipulated women and the system for so long. Let's hope the authorities who have him under lock and key ...DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO SEE THIS DRAMA.

Maybe he saw the first episode , saw what a barsteward he was and decided to withdraw his appeal !!??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this, Reece Shearsmith was brilliant as Malcolm Webster. Haven't seen anything he's been in before so didn't know much about him but he's such a good actor - the way he went from crying to normal in a split second was frightening. This kept me gripped all the way through as I waited to see how it ended. Glad he got caught in the end as he's a nasty, manipulative man. Shame Sheridan Smith only got 20 minutes worth of screen time but apparently she didn't have much time to fit it in so never mind. Will be keeping an eye on things featuring Reece Shearsmith in the future.

Anyone who hasn't seen the first two series of The League of Gentlemen should search them out somehow .... On Demand - maybe? Netflix ??

They are a MUST see !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Anyone who hasn't seen the first two series of The League of Gentlemen should search them out somehow .... On Demand - maybe? Netflix ??

They are a MUST see !!!!
    Unfortunately I don't get a lot of time to myself - I work 5 days a week and the other 2 days I find myself busy doing other things. I might check it out sometime though if it's possible.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    She didn't even have a wire on or anything to protect her just 2 police men a hundred yards or so from the house. I wouldn't have done it.

This has been a good drama, more so because you know it was real.

A bit odd I know but I do wonder if Malcom Webster knew this was being made and if he was allowed to watch it.

Given what she said at the Quayside to her friend, maybe she still didn't couldn't make the connection with the man she knew and what she'd been told, 'there must be some innocent explanation'
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen Reece Sheersmith not be creepy - I think it's his voice. The owes the came to being not creepy for me was in Betty Blue Eyes on the West End.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I am about 5 chapters into the book so am up to date where the show is.

Tbh I feel the police are a large part as to why MW was not caught sooner. There were quite a few experts professionals who saw what had happened and were ignored :o

I do not understand how none of the drugs MW gave showed up in all the blood tests given? Also, Claire's friend found 3 different types of epilepsy medication in their home when MW was in hospital, which neither suffered from, and nothing was done about that.

This is an amazing story of how MW got away with it for so long and was able to work in different hospitals.

The only thing that was not said in this programme was that he may have got away with killing 3 under 6's in Abu Dhabi. But as they do not have post-mortem's they could not confirm that but each death happened when he was on duty. A truly evil man.

I really want to read this book! Many posters have made a passing reference to it - what's the exact title? My daughter works at the local library, so if I ask her she'll see if they have it in and borrow it for me!

Absolutely gripped by this from beginning to end, all of us in this house. We'd missed it originally when it was broadcast the first two Mondays, so caught up with both the first two episodes on Friday night on demand, and couldn't wait to see episode three last night. From what I've read in news reports, and online, essentially this story has been presented with very little 'augmentation' of the basic facts.

But that's why I'd like to read the book, just to see what was added in or adapted, although they clearly didn't need to augment how psychopathic Malcolm Webster is (and psychopaths can't ever be 'cured') who killed without any feelings of guilt, with clear justifications which made sense perfectly to him, and would doubtless have gone on to do it again if he hadn't eventually been stopped.

A few people have commented on how amazing it is - looking back now, at the bigger picture, and knowing what is now known - that he got away with so many huge deceptions and harming people for so long. And that's the thing - the fact that it all seems so unbelievable, when you look at what he got away with for so long, is what partly what made it so doable for Webster - people never want to consider the 'unbelievable' when it's easier to believe something simpler; essentially, us humans are trusting beings, seeing what we expect to see in any given situation, and with a kind of 'over ride' system that makes us ignore 'awkward' things when they don't seem to fit what's easiest for us to believe.

Psychopaths understand that perfectly and, if one could call it a 'strength', it's the one they are often able to exploit to perfection. (Sadly I found out more than I wanted to about the subject after a friend of mine was the victim of one :() That, and the fact he was presumably banking on no one joining the dots between Scotland and New Zealand, and different hospitals - and, even if they did, believing arrogantly that he could convince people he was being accused unfairly and talk his way out of it.

In essence, one of the best TV adaptations I've seen in years - Reece Shearsmith (who I didn't know either - don't want any of the programmes others have mentioned he's been in) was amazing as Malcolm, but everyone was cast well - they'd made a real effort to get 'the look' right across the board. Excellent.
  • Options
    Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched a drama in ages but I really enjoyed this. It's the first thing I've seen Reece Shearsmith in as well-he's brill! He really freaked me out.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to read this book! Many posters have made a passing reference to it - what's the exact title? My daughter works at the local library, so if I ask her she'll see if they have it in and borrow it for me!

Did a quick google search and found one called 'The Black Widower' by Charles Lavery.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a quick google search and found one called 'The Black Widower' by Charles Lavery.

That's the one.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think the police investigation seemed incredibly slow too. Perhaps it's because that is what often happens in real life. Maybe we're too used to fictional police squads solving crimes at a suitable rate for TV series timeframes!

Just a note for those saying they aren't familiar with Reece Shearsmith's other work: The League of Gentlemen series would probably be the most obvious first port of call, but can I also highly recommend Psychoville, the dark comic murder mystery series he co-wrote and starred in? More obviously comical and grotesque than the recent Inside #9. It was criminally underwatched when broadcast on the BBC in 2009 and 2011. It was critically acclaimed but it always saddens me that more didn't see it.
    Not that you'll recognise Reece much in it - he plays lots of different characters, only one of which looks anything like him! Brilliantly versatile actor.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right, or did I hear wrong that you could have a 'chat' with Malcolm on twitter at the end of the show ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Am I right, or did I hear wrong that you could have a 'chat' with Malcolm on twitter at the end of the show ?
    It did say you could talk to Reece on Twitter at the end of the show yes.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    There was another very similar case also dramatised on TV a while back. Think it was a South African guy living in Australia was bumping off his wife/wives? He even done the same thing making out he had cancer and going back to SA for treatment, shaving his head etc? Can't remember the real person's name?
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What got on my nerves was when he kept calling her "Munchkin" - that would be enough for me to want to bump HIM off!
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Yes, Reece answered a LOT of tweets about the show for an hour after the broadcast. It gave a good insight into the role from his perspective.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    I did think the police investigation seemed incredibly slow too. Perhaps it's because that is what often happens in real life. Maybe we're too used to fictional police squads solving crimes at a suitable rate for TV series timeframes!

Just a note for those saying they aren't familiar with Reece Shearsmith's other work: The League of Gentlemen series would probably be the most obvious first port of call, but can I also highly recommend Psychoville, the dark comic murder mystery series he co-wrote and starred in? More obviously comical and grotesque than the recent Inside #9. It was criminally underwatched when broadcast on the BBC in 2009 and 2011. It was critically acclaimed but it always saddens me that more didn't see it.
    Not that you'll recognise Reece much in it - he plays lots of different characters, only one of which looks anything like him! Brilliantly versatile actor.

I watched League of Gentlemen and both Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton were great in that but I somehow missed Psychoville. Thanks for reminding me. After reading the reviews though this will be the next DVD I get - it looks like my sort of thing.

I agree with everyone on here - Reece Shearsmith's acting was brilliant in depicting a psychopath who could appear to be quite normal, even getting 3 women to fall in love with him, whilst at the same time planning their deaths.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing a pic of his first wife at the end made tears come to my eyes. What a evil evil man. Almost thought he truly loved number 3, until the police came sniffing and he was ready to bump her off without a thought. Scary that she had no idea and was totally reeled in. Did wife number 2 work in medicine also?
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Webster's second wife -Felicity, was [in real life -don't know about in the series] an oncology nurse.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you! Although, as my daughter has just said, it's probably been borrowed already if they even have it! But, to be honest, I think I'm going to buy it anyway so will be having a look online later!

I ready all of the Q&A as well - made for interesting reading, especially the bit where Reece admitted it had given him a few sleepless nights. I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just caught up with Part 3. I thought this was a very good drama on all levels - it was beautifully shot, well-written and directed, it was tense and emotionally compelling, while being based solidly in reality - it was all very credible and all the more chilling for that. I didn't recognise the true story until he showed up in New Zealand and then the newspaper reports came back to me. But I had no idea he had quite so much time back in the UK after NZ and was on a third serious relationship.

I thought all the performances were excellent, Reece Shearsmith creeped me out! It's very difficult to play creepy to the viewer while being convincingly charming to the other characters. He got that spot on. The leukaemia scenes were deeply disturbing. And the actress who played his potential third wife had 2 or 3 really outstanding moments of confusion and betrayal without any overacting.

Fantastic. More quality true crime drama made like this, ITV!