Options

What is it like to live in Dundee?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about the sun! It was wonderful - loooooong days in summer, so much daylight, it was great! That bloody wind though. *shiver*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've lived here all my life and it's always been fine. I'm at uni here too. Would I move away? Yes, but not because of Dundee. I'd only leave because it's really all I know, I'd like to experience other places and also the industry I'm aiming to go into isn't really existent in Dundee. That said, if I found a job here I'd stay.

In terms of the people, I've never had any bother. Yes there are junkies (if you have a problem with this stay well away from a place called the Wellgate Centre, it's where they breed ;)) and it has it's rough areas but overall it's never been too bad for me. Actually, I've been doing some stuff with Uni that meant going to Glasgow (which I love) and i found that the people are actually a little bit nicer in Dundee. If someone bangs into you here, they apologize. In Glasgow, you go flying and it's your fault! Though, I'm not saying this had nothing to do with me being a student unsure of where the heck they were going!

In terms of where to live, I'd say stay away from the areas called Hilltown, Kirton and Douglas. Really if your new I'd agree with the others and say you should be looking at somewhere like the Perth Road/West End, though lots of it is student flats now. Other than that there are some lovely flats on a street called Baxter Park Terrace. It's actually where I lived in my early childhood so I am a bit biased. I'd love to live there again. But it's only a 20 minute max walk from the town, and has on street parking at what not, plus is on loads of bus routes.

Basically, I'm not going to sit here and say it's perfect. It's not. But really it's got a not too bad shopping centre in the Overgate (I work in the next there, it's nice enough.), nightlife's not too bad too. There are things it lacks, but I don't regret deciding to stay here for Uni rather than going off to Edinburgh or whatnot..
    I live in Baxter park terrace! :)

Dundee is a great place.

Like others have said, there are areas to avoid. But that's the same anywhere

Nice areas are, broughty ferry, west end, gowrie park, graigowl, gotterstone, upper stobswell, Baxter park, Perth road, town centre, city quay, downfield.

Most of these areas have sounding schemes, but the idiots tend to stay with in their own area.

Dundee, on the whole, is a friendly place, don't believe the bad press
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Some of what has been said here is complete garbage. Over the years, Dundee has been an easy place to slag off. Makes Glasgow and Edinburgh folk feel better about themselves. People who still slag it off have either never been here, never been here for years, or are just commenting on "what they've heard". Dundee is a great place to stay. I actually endure a 120 mile daily commute so I can continue to live here and not move to Edinburgh.

As mentioned, nicest places are probably the West End (Off Perth Road) or Broughty Ferry (known as The Ferry). The Ferry doesnt have to be as expensive as people are making out. its a lovely wee area, kind of like a separate wee town within Dundee. Usually mobbed during the summer. Its also got most of what you need...various types of eateries, loads of pubs, supermarkets within easy distance, and a really nice beach. Jump on a bus and you're in town in 20 mins or so. 10 mins in the car. There is also really no rush hour (compared to bigger cities anyway)....normally takes about 10 mins to get out of the town centre. If you chose the West End, that's within walking distance of the town centre.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a car then I would live in the countryside outside the town. From places Liff, Muirhead and Monikie you can be in the town centre in less than twenty minutes.