Time to fight back against the anti Clarksons

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you know that how exactly?
    Experience.

You're suggesting racism is all about belittling other people for the purposes of power. I've been called a n*gger in real life and know that racism is actually about putting people down who you see as an inferior race to yourself. It's not a myth as your post suggests.
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    If anyone who wasn't making the BBC as much money as Clarkson had said anywhere near the number of blatantly offensive things he has, they'd have been sacked years ago. He's not unfairly maligned, here, and the BBC are already defending him.

Yes - I agree with you here, there must be some reason why they keep him. popularity alone is just not enough. People who like him now would find someone/thing else to watch like we all do when our favorites fall out of the limelight.

I don't like him, so i don't watch stuff he is in, i find him incredibly arrogant and irritating.

(and note to the op: just because you don't write in about about soaps you do not watch, doesn't mean you can dictate to those who want to write in to complain about him... No one has said you can't

"So time to right to the BBC complaining about his treatment, also demand the sacking of Danny Cohen."

What? I don't even know who that is
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Experience.

You're suggesting racism is all about belittling other people for the purposes of power. I've been called a n*gger in real life and know that racism is actually about putting people down who you see as an inferior race to yourself. It's not a myth as your post suggests.

Ever heard of context, pretty sure it's raised it's head in these types of discussion.

My post was in response to one about the witch hunt mentality and the ridiculous situation where one cannot even type the word and the idea that should one see it written in a book or on a forum one's eyeballs might start to bleed.

And racism is about power, I doubt you will find anybody who would disagree.

Words have power, that's not exactly a radical idea. And just as racist terms can be used to belittle somebody, different terms can be used to remove power and invest it instead on those that are doing the accusing.

We are not discussing a situation where abusive racist language is being directed at another person.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically it's okay to say racist things as long as you don't direct your racism at who ever you're being racist about?

Jeremy Clarkson is a nasty man who should have been fired a long time ago.

There is no need for anybody to be singing songs that include the word ******.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Personally I found the"slope"comment to be the more offensive. In that case he did direct it at somebody. That's not to say the rhythm wasn't.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    Personally I found the "slope" comment to be the more offensive. In that case he did direct it at somebody. That's not to say the rhythm wasn't.

There it is again. What rhythm? :confused:
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    There it is again. What rhythm? :confused:

The rhythm where he used racist language. Keep up.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I found the"slope"comment to be the more offensive. In that case he did direct it at somebody. That's not to say the rhythm wasn't.

What I can't for the life of me understand, is why so many are literally falling over themselves to stick up for the guy.

This is someone who has deliberately set out to wind people up with contentious and racist remarks, yet so many, who I am sure would otherwise condemn such behaviour in others, jump to his defence, and round on those who dare to criticise Saint Jeremy.

Suppose you had to work with this buffoon and his comments. What then ? Should he get away with it and others get reported to HR ? Seriously, I don't get what it is about this prat that people want to defend.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you mean rhyme? It would help make your point more clear if you could actually spell what you're trying to type and use coherent sentences rather than make snidey and facetious comments to try and score points.
    Forum Member
    Do you mean rhyme? It would help make your point more clear if you could actually spell what you're trying to type and use coherent sentences rather than make snidey and facetious comments to try and score points.

Did you understand what I meant to say?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Winding up people on one or other side of the debate from the looks of things. Given the subject matter this seems kind of appropriate.
    One that 'vanished' simply quoted from the DJ's blog. The poster himself didn't make any remarks other than indicating where it had come from. :confused:

If certain folk get 'touchy' about that, then God help us all!

Anyway it seems this thread now has a major troll problem since the person in question doesn't have the JC thread to vent on now that's gone.
    Forum Member

I could if you made sense. Do you mean the rhyme? :confused:
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    What I can't for the life of me understand, is why so many are literally falling over themselves to stick up for the guy.

This is someone who has deliberately set out to wind people up with contentious and racist remarks, yet so many, who I am sure would otherwise condemn such behaviour in others, jump to his defence, and round on those who dare to criticise Saint Jeremy.

Suppose you had to work with this buffoon and his comments. What then ? Should he get away with it and others get reported to HR ? Seriously, I don't get what it is about this prat that people want to defend.

Personally, that type of irreverent, suggestive humour that just borders on being a bit offensive is my thing, I don't mind who does it. I laugh if it's aimed at me even, but nobody can explain their sense of humour to somebody who doesn't share it.

If Clarkson worked at our place, he'd probably leave within a week, unable to take the friendly but irreverent piss-taking that goes on at our place, which has little regard for sex, sexuality, nationality, colour or creed. That's because I work amongst adults who give as good as they get, without feeling the need to run to "HR" crying every five minutes.
    Forum Member

See, that's what makes me laugh, because at the end of the day, there WAS an actual slope on the bridge, the bridge sloped to one side. It probably amuses him, as it does me, that people get their knickers in a right old twist about it because of the possible double meaning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, that type of irreverent, suggestive humour that just borders on being a bit offensive is my thing, I don't mind who does it. I laugh if it's aimed at me even, but nobody can explain their sense of humour to somebody who doesn't share it.

If Clarkson worked at our place, he'd probably leave within a week, unable to take the friendly but irreverent piss-taking that goes on at our place, which has little regard for sex, sexuality, nationality, colour or creed. That's because I work amongst adults who give as good as they get, without feeling the need to run to "HR" crying every five minutes.

That's all very well if it's just you - and like you, I personally would do the same back to him, and actually revel in the opportunity to cross swords with someone like that.

But as a team leader, I have to also look after staff, some of whom are extremely needy and sensitive little bunnies, who often need nursemaiding through the slightest "crisis". I could hardly tell them to just answer him (or anyone else giving out crap) back. Not every workplace is like yours. Hence the need for HR - even though they are complete tools for the most part.
    Forum Member
    But as a team leader, I have to also look after staff, some of whom are extremely needy and sensitive little bunnies, who often need nursemaiding through the slightest "crisis".

:D Ha ha! (Lucky you)
    Forum Member
    See, that's what makes me laugh, because at the end of the day, there WAS an actual slope on the bridge, the bridge sloped to one side. It probably amuses him, as it does me, that people get their knickers in a right old twist about it because of the possible double meaning.

Yeah, very humorous.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about power, always has been always will be.

Constantly wrong foot people and they find it harder and harder to object to anything that is imposed on them.

People call people racist not because they give a brass monkey about whether they are, but it bestows a little bit more power from them to you.
    Hah, I read the first sentence and thought I was about to agree with you there. But no :D

It is all about power - the social power imbalance is why white-on-black racism is more of a problem than black-on-white racism, and not just the same thing reversed. A white person using a racial slur is emphasising their power and superiority over black people, whereas a black person using it is trying to reclaim that power for themselves.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, very humorous.

It might not be to you, but we could play "My Sense of Humour's Better Than Yours" all night long, to no avail whatsoever.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is someone who has deliberately set out to wind people up with contentious and racist remarks...
    That contradiction is what actually makes it super-weird. I mean, he deliberately goes out of his way to anger people, and then his supporters get annoyed at people being angry. You'd think they'd be happy that someone they like so much was succeeding in his ambitions!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That contradiction is what actually makes it super-weird. I mean, he deliberately goes out of his way to anger people, and then his supporters get annoyed at people being angry. You'd think they'd be happy that someone they like so much was succeeding in his ambitions!

That's a fair point.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just boils down to ...

His detractors swear blind he said it and post one article that says he admits to it.

Others say it may just sound like it and post a different article that says he didn't say it.

Every now and then someone quotes the forensic expert who says they are about 75% certain that he may have said it.

In a civil court 75% would probably have it on "the balance of probability".

In a court of law 75% would probably represent reasonable doubt.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    All some people want to do is get him off TV, very simple if you do not like him, do not watch him. I do not like soaps but do not try to get rid of them!

I ama fan of Top Gear, worth the licence fee alone as far as I am concerned.

So time to right to the BBC complaining about his treatment, also demand the sacking of Danny Cohen.

Also I suggest you complain to the chair of the Labour party about Harriet Dromey as she should not be going around demanding the sacking of TV presenters. I think it is more political as JC is a friend of David Cameron.

As to the Mirror, why are they trying to do this, I think it is time to have a go back. Make sure noone you know buys its. Is this related to the fights between Clarkson and Piers Moron?

I don't like him, so, er, I don't watch him. I don't like his pathetic influence on many drivers today, who parrot his rather dubious opinions on a regular basis. That's what I'm more bothered about. And of course, was he sacked ? No.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hah, I read the first sentence and thought I was about to agree with you there. But no :D

It is all about power - the social power imbalance is why white-on-black racism is more of a problem than black-on-white racism, and not just the same thing reversed. A white person using a racial slur is emphasising their power and superiority over black people, whereas a black person using it is trying to reclaim that power for themselves.

If you had bothered to read the follow up post I did indeed say that.

The post you are quoting was referring to the situation where the racist tag is being thrown out by all and sundry over nothing and the manipulation of language so that even writing certain words has been censored.

That's way beyond any reclaiming and it is being done in large part by people who have nothing to reclaim in the first place but just like the power trip it gives them over others.
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear is poopy.