Options

That version of "how will I know" .

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Its a long shot but does anyone know where this was sung before, I'm pretty sure its the voice or x factor USA?

Either way it wasn't 'her' version.

I'm just trying to remember where I heard it first

Comments

• Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watching, but is it Sam Smith's?
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Sam Smith did a version recently
  • Options
    vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounded like one of those shitty acoustic messes that people upload to youtube.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    delete wrong thread!
  • Options
    Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounded a lot like Sam Smith's version
  • Options
    ZuttoZutto Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair she never said it was her version
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was the version Sam Smith did, he recorded it especially for Grey's Anatomy then has performed it live a few times since. STILL waiting on a 'studio' version though from Grey's lol.

Loved Lauren's version of it though, her vocal was different to Sam's at the end and it was less 'sad' aha.
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Yeah it was the version Sam Smith did, he recorded it especially for Grey's Anatomy then has performed it live a few times since. STILL waiting on a 'studio' version though from Grey's lol.

Loved Lauren's version of it though, her vocal was different to Sam's at the end and it was less 'sad' aha.

To be honest I was losing the will to live...until I heard Lauren. I prefer the original version anyway. But at least she has an ounce of TALENT.
    THE REST OF THE SHOW WAS COMPLETE SHITE AGAIN.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She turned the song into a decrepit Funeral song.

Harsh but true for me.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep Sam Smith did the arrangement first, it's amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHACITShSI

I'm also waiting for the exact version used in Grey's Anatomy, it was frustrating waiting for any version to surface at all. Here's the scene in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nantVCbh-Zg

She turned the song into a decrepit Funeral song.

Harsh but true for me.

Not really. The lyrics are actually pretty melancholy, I prefer Whitney's version obviously but I like the way this version brings it out.
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her and her voice, but deciding to sing a slowed down version that suits her of an uptempo song rather than going for say I Have Nothing or Saving All My Love For You just made me think she doesn't have the pipes for Whitney.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I like her and her voice, but deciding to sing a slowed down version that suits her of an uptempo song rather than going for say I Have Nothing or Saving All My Love For You just made me think she doesn't have the pipes for Whitney.

or maybe just doing those was a bit too predictable as we have seen them done so many times before and she just wanted to do something different

she is probably my favourite so far based on what we have seen

great tone and control to her voice , and for once I agreed with what simon said about her having so much potential to improve as she gets farther into the show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You just hit the nail on the head :)
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    Lauren is by far the best singer on x factor this year, there are others I like as well though.
  • Options
    dirrrtydirrrty Posts: 8,442
    Forum Member

No one should do it exactly like Whitney, it was good she changed it up or she would be compared to Whitney.

Look at Amy, why the hell did she pick a Whitney song and the same version, a soft vocal song would have suited her more.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When she first said what she was going to sing I thought "oh no another boring Whitney version" but I liked what she did with it. By comparison the other girl who sang Whitney (can't remember her name) did the predictable same as Whitney version and I'm glad they said no.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Lauren is by far the best singer on x factor this year, there are others I like as well though.

She's my favourite too, I love her voice.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had that with Sam Bailey last year though, not everyone wants to see a belter win every year.

Lauren has a lovely tone to her voice, she's great.
  • Options
    Anne-Marie_RoweAnne-Marie_Rowe Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Sucked all the joy out of the song for me.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always a little suspicious when an act chooses to perform a "slow" version of a song that is originally uptempo. It suggests to me that they're simply not confident and copping out. It's almost become a reality show cliche to perform a "slow" arrangement of a song anyway.
    That's why Alexandra Burke was so unique...she took on and nailed every song in its original tempo. That takes real talent.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dirrrty wrote: »
    No one should do it exactly like Whitney, it was good she changed it up or she would be compared to Whitney.

Yes but she just did it exactly like Sam Smith
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    It didn't impress me at all.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair too her, when the judges were telling her what they thought of it, she could have at some point said to them that it was Sam Samith's version she was covering, but due to the editing we will never know. Each act is actually on the stage for a quite a while, but the auditions are very highly edited.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She isn't a powerhouse and she doesn't try to be. She has a natural, unaffected voice and her sense of pitch and timing , not to mention ability to translate it to live vocals, is nearly flawless.

She has a decent range, knows her strengths, and sings with a maturity and musicality few her age possess.

I have heard many similar arrangements of that song,(though not the Sam S version) but it didn't matter. She is auditioning her vocal ability, not someone else's obvious acoustic arrangement of a popular song..She needed to show her ability, and the song did just that.