But now, seems not...:(

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do elaborate further
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Good on them for standing up for what they believe in. Let me get my umbrella out in solidarity.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely place, even if it is a tad too humid for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    now people r standing up for protests against government and police.
    they are occupying Central, the heart of Hong Kong. Ppl cannot go to work or school in some districts.

Wiki- Umbrella Revolution: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Hong_Kong_protests
    In September 2014, pro-democracy advocates in Hong Kong protested outside the government headquarters and occupied several major city intersections soon after the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPCSC) announced its decision on proposed electoral reform.[3] The NPCSC would require a nomination committee to pre-approve up to three electoral candidates before proceeding to a vote involving the general population. After the election, the Chief Executive-elect would then still need to be formally appointed by the central government before officially taking the post.

The Hong Kong Federation of Students and Scholarism began protesting outside the government headquarters on 22 September 2014.[4] On the evening of 26 September, several hundred demonstrators breached a security barrier and entered the front plaza of the Central Government Complex, which has been barred from public entry since July 2014. Officers cordoned off protesters within the courtyard and restricted their movement overnight, eventually removing them with force the next day, including student leader Joshua Wong, who was temporarily detained.[5] Occupy Central announced that they would begin their civil disobedience campaign immediately.[6]

Around noon on 28 September, protesters marched onto Harcourt Road and proceeded to occupy Queensway as well, blocking both east-west arterial routes in northern Hong Kong Island. After a several hour standoff, police attempted to disperse crowds with pepper spray, tear gas, and water cannon, and warned 'Stop Charging or We Use Force'.[7]
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-29471027
    even on BBC headline in this week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good place for counterfeit goods.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We, as in the United Kingdom, should bloody well do more to help Hong Kong achieve democracy, considering when we gave Hong Kong back after stealing it, that was what we promised they'd have. But of course we ain't going to **** with China.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going there next week for the first time. The protests don't worry me as they are entirely peaceful.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    We, as in the United Kingdom, should bloody well do more to help Hong Kong achieve democracy, considering when we gave Hong Kong back after stealing it, that was what we promised they'd have. But of course we ain't going to **** with China.

We didn't steal it, it became under British rule in the Opium War and then ceded to us "In Perpetuity" in 1842, the territories were then leased to us for 99 years in 1898 and we gave it back in 1997 just as we should have done.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm going there next week for the first time. The protests don't worry me as they are entirely peaceful.

definitely. Actually the protests are with love and peace.
    Hong Kong is beautiful.
    Counterfeit goods are from China but not HK.
    This place was change after giving back China.... people suffer.
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    We didn't steal it, it became under British rule in the Opium War and then ceded to us "In Perpetuity" in 1842, the territories were then leased to us for 99 years in 1898 and we gave it back in 1997 just as we should have done.

True. Not stealing.
    China is a Liar
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    freebie3b wrote: »
    definitely. Actually the protests are with love and peace.
    Hong Kong is beautiful.
    Counterfeit goods are from China but not HK.
    This place was change after giving back China.... people suffer.
    freebie3b wrote: »
    True. Not stealing.
    China is a Liar

That's good to know ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »

If gaining foreign territory through the means of war ain't stealing, then I don't know what is.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree.

We should declare war on China immediately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I totally agree.

We should declare war on China immediately.

I wasn't suggesting war.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people need to stick up for their rights, it is no longer governed by the UK, so the UK really has no say and can't threaten another nation for how they run their country if their people aren't in harm directly and if the people aren't calling for intervention.

I think the people will be able to stand up for themselves and hopefully influence China.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually, we should stay out of it. This is an internal matter and not the business of the UK.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, we should stay out of it. This is an internal matter and not the business of the UK.

Exactly, it's not up to us to force democracy, if the people feel strongly enough about it they will deal with it themselves. If the government start firing live rounds at people etc, then of course the international community will intervene, but otherwise it is not appropriate to do anything other than comment and encourage.

Just like we don't expect other countries to enforce their rule and way of life on us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like how we stay out of all other countries business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have been more aesthetically pleasing a few hundred miles to the left.
    But what would I know, I'm not a cartographer
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The people need to stick up for their rights, it is no longer governed by the UK, so the UK really has no say and can't threaten another nation for how they run their country if their people aren't in harm directly and if the people aren't calling for intervention.

I think the people will be able to stand up for themselves and hopefully influence China.

Honestly, China is just a bit better than North Korea. Newspaper in China even said HK people were celebrating Chinese National Day only. What a shame. Chinese people just know how to cheat.

But you are so right. UK has no say at all because HK has already been returned to China.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always admired him for being able to keep up his persona as a mild mannered janitor.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the UK and China signed a contract covering the hand over of HK, and China is now not complying with the terms of that contract, then it is the UK's business.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »

I love the use of bamboo scaffolding. They were certainly still using it in the 90s, and probably still are now, but I've not been back. Works well. As a westerner, going onto it, I always felt uneasy, but it was fine, and easy/lightweight to handle. It went up in no time.