The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Sorry for delay with new playlist, it's coming in a few minutes, unfortunately one person has sent me an entry tonight that had already been chosen by someone else, and they're not online now to give me an alternative choice. If they reply in the next few minutes I'll add them to the playlist but otherwise I guess I'll have to start without them. :(
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the middle of watching a 6 part documentary online called "Death of Yugoslavia". I'm too young to remember the wars but I'm only half way through it and wondering how these nations always vote for one another. If I was Croatia or Slovenia I'd never want anything to do with Serbia ever again (not onto the Bosnia bit yet, very little mention of Montenegro and Macedonia as of yet)
    Forum Member
    I have a new entry now from our final player, playlist in a couple of minutes. :)
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the middle of watching a 6 part documentary online called "Death of Yugoslavia". I'm too young to remember the wars but I'm only half way through it and wondering how these nations always vote for one another. If I was Croatia or Slovenia I'd never want anything to do with Serbia ever again (not onto the Bosnia bit yet, very little mention of Montenegro and Macedonia as of yet)

It's probably Serbians still in those countries voting for Serbia.

Roughly 30% of the people in Bosnia-Herzegovina are Serbian.
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the contest to find the world's best national anthem.

Please remove your hats and be upstanding for your playlist:

1. BRAZIL Hino Nacional Brasileiro
    2. INDIA Jana Gana Mana
    3. MONACO Hymne Monegasque
    4. SOUTH AFRICA Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika
    5. ARGENTINA Himno Nacional Argentino
    6. KAZAKHSTAN Menin Qazaqstanım
    7. FRANCE Casablanca - La Marseillaise
    8. SWEDEN Carola - Du Gamla, Du Fria
    9. EAST GERMANY Auferstanden Aus Ruinen
    10. LIECHTENSTEIN Oben Am Jungen Rhein
    11. GERMANY Deutschlandlied
    12. JAPAN Kimigayo
    13. ITALY Il Canto Degli Italiani
    14. AUSTRALIA Human Nature & Julie Anthony - Advance Australia Fair
    15. CHINA Yìyongjun Jìnxíngqu
    16. MONGOLIA SweetYmotion - Mongol Ulsyn Torijn Duulal
    17. URUGUAY Orientales, La Patria O La Tumba
    18. KOSOVO Evropa
    19. RUSSIA Gosudarstvenny Gimn Rossiyskoy Federatsii

PLAYLIST

Please send your votes to me via PM in usual Eurovision format (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). Anyone who does not vote will receive a 33 per cent deduction.

The deadline for votes is Sunday 19th October at 6pm.

Good luck! :)
  • WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That exciting moment between the playlist being announced and the moment its released when everyone starts to think of the songs they expect to see there.

EDIT:Pleased to see that pretty much all the songs on my list are in the playlist at some point. Maybe that says more about the shortage of good national anthems though over the taste of people on here.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard Kosovo before. Almost shed a tear!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wilkimania wrote: »
    That exciting moment between the playlist being announced and the moment its released when everyone starts to think of the songs they expect to see there.

EDIT:Pleased to see that pretty much all the songs on my list are in the playlist at some point. Maybe that says more about the shortage of good national anthems though over the taste of people on here.

I'm surprised and disappointed not to have Ireland or Wales on the list
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely not! I remember them vividly and I was born in 1990! I did live near an airbase though..I remember all the planes.

Also I remember Childrens Ward did an Episode based on a bombing of a families house and the girl hid in a chest in a bedroom and got blown up, her brother went hitchhiking across Europe to get to Manchester to see her in hospital! God knows why I remember it so vividly!

But like Saturn said, its probably due to the large numbers of Ethnic Serbs/Croats/Bosnians living in these countries, also they have a similar music scene too and language.

Maybe I shouldn't watch it given I'm going to Dubrovnik next week!
    I can only say Lako Je Sve..maybe I should brush up!
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also...no Star Spangled Banner!! Its brilliant!! Its the only tune I can play on Piano!!

Sooooo glad to see my favourite up there though!
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,266
    Forum Member
    Ooh wow someone found the same Mongolian vid as I did. It wasn't high on my list of choices, but it was there.

Someone missed a trick not sending Bahamas', even if it does sound like a reworked Advance Australia Fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    Surely not! I remember them vividly and I was born in 1990! I did live near an airbase though..I remember all the planes.

Also I remember Childrens Ward did an Episode based on a bombing of a families house and the girl hid in a chest in a bedroom and got blown up, her brother went hitchhiking across Europe to get to Manchester to see her in hospital! God knows why I remember it so vividly!

But like Saturn said, its probably due to the large numbers of Ethnic Serbs/Croats/Bosnians living in these countries, also they have a similar music scene too and language.

Maybe I shouldn't watch it given I'm going to Dubrovnik next week!
    I can only say Lako Je Sve..maybe I should brush up!

Well obviously I remember it in the news, I just didn't really know the reasons behind it
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst searching through various national anthems I came across this dynamite. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sJCET54CQ
    Forum Member
    Whilst searching through various national anthems I came across this dynamite. :D

LOL, that wasn't the song I was expecting at that moment! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hahahaha:D poor guy was probably shot afterwards!!
    Forum Member

Obviously some huge fans of Ricky Martin in Kazakhstan. :D I was hoping we'd get this interpretation of Kazakhstan that was accidentally played during some shooting event in Kuwait. :o:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR18Pzbf-nY
  • WilkimaniaWilkimania Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've realised listening to the playlist that I should have gone for a live version of the national anthem I picked rather than the version I did go for.
  • nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too bad no one sent Nepal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZvqTY4-PQ I really love it even though it's so short

and no one sent Canada either :(:(
    Forum Member
    nunaney wrote: »
    Too bad no one sent Nepal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZvqTY4-PQ I really love it even though it's so short

and no one sent Canada either :(:(

I did like Nepal's, but not enough to consider it. I don't find O Canada memorable enough, do like this version though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesn-cFrYUY
    Forum Member
    Brazil - A proper crowd pleaser of an anthem, especially when the Brazilian fans always keep singing after the music stops.

India - I could use that to fall asleep, well until the key change kicked in. I like how their outfits match the colour of the flag.

Monaco - A very chipper anthem. Good photo reel of the royal family!

South Africa - I like how they incorporate multiple languages into their anthem. Good job Papua New Guinea didn't take the same approach, what with having over 800! :eek:

Argentina - That's definitely the best section of their anthem. Messi. <3 *swoon*

Kazakhstan - The Borat version is better. But at least it tells some sort of narrative of their country, unlike our turgid anthem that just begs a sky fairy to protect our sovereign.

France - I get it, but I'm not keen on this video and La Marseillaise having to compete over the German song. It should be appreciated in full, solo.

Sweden - Damn right those players and fans should be applauding. Magical rendition.

East Germany - This could easily be a movie theme.

Liechtenstein - Odd way to go about it, but GSTQ makes it on the playlist after all. :D Canny avoidance of their lyrics to it.

Germany - More stirringly German than the East's anthem. Must've heard this like a million times in all my F1 watching!

Japan - A depressingly dull anthem to go with that soul destroying job that poor bloke has at the start, raking pebbles. The lyrics say different, but the music gives away the true warmongering vibe.

Italy - I can put my Ferrari hate to one side, to appreciate another rousing crowd pleaser. "We are ready to die, Italy has called, yes!" Now that's what an anthem should be about. You could've had Emma being drowned out by the Palermo and Inter Milan fans. :D

Australia - Makes me want to be Australian and see their country advance. It tells a story and everything. Fair dinkum it's a cracking anthem.

China - Such lovely plinky plonky music; a complete juxtaposition to the violence of the lyrics. :D My favourite bit is the little ditty during, "the Chinese nation faces its greatest danger." A proper Empire's anthem.

Mongolia - I had this with this exact video on my list. Very Disney. It really kicks into life when red dress lady starts up.

Uruguay - The first 2 minutes and all that let's sacrifice ourselves in honour of this nice, plinky plonky ditty, is all you need.

Kosovo - Clearly the remaining 83 UN members yet to recognise Kosovo haven't heard this anthem.

Russia - It wouldn't be Russia without a propaganda video to go with it. :D Now this a stirring anthem, almost makes me want to go for global domination in honour of the Motherland.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESC Ross wrote: »
    That dress! A bit too much!

15. Moran Mazor - Rak Bishvilo (Israel 2013)
    spindiddly
    40 Points

12 - Jaccobabe, brb,
    10 -
    8 - avb,
    7 -
    6 -
    5 - nunaney,
    4 -
    3 -
    2 - BBAnne,
    1 - big bro geek,

Yes all about the dress. I still think she would have qualified with a better outfit. Grr. Still dont like the song though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. Elnur & Samir - Day After Day (Azerbaijan 2008)
    nunaney
    44 Points

12 - Yugimuto1,
    10 -
    8 -
    7 - ESC Ross, weedydiamond,
    6 - nick1990, big bro geek, Drew Peacock,
    5 -
    4 -
    3 -
    2 -
    1 -
    Love the song. Love the staging.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tie…. (Hope I've done this right)

Not a fan of the staging, ...or the song!

10. Daniel Diges - Algo Pequeñito (Spain 2010)
    brb
    58 Points (10 Voters, Same amount of 10-7 Points, 1 set of 5 points)

12 -
    10 - ESC Ross,
    8 - spindiddly, Chickens hit,
    7 - phill363, Wilkimania,
    6 -
    5 - Yugimuto1,
    4 - weedydiamond, nunaney,
    3 - sbrum1984,
    2 - nick1990,
    1 -

Love him and the song. Staging not horrible...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9. Bebi Dol - Brazil (Yugoslavia 1991)
    weedydiamond
    58 Points (10 voters, same amount of 10-7 points, 3 sets of 5 points)

12 -
    10 - nunaney,
    8 - BBAnne, Jaccobabe,
    7 - sbrum1984, Cuishla,
    6 -
    5 - Lisa.B, avb, big bro geek,
    4 -
    3 -
    2 - steeleuro_wolf,
    1 - phill363,
    Wow. Almost sure thats our closest tie ever!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tie…

4. PingPong - Sa’me’akh (Israel 2000)
    Jaccobabe
    78 Points (13 voters)

12 - weedydiamond,
    10 - avb, Chickens hit,
    8 - phill363, steeleuro_wolf,
    7 - Lisa.B, Drew Peacock,