Options

Supernatural - Season 10 - US Pace

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, for the love of Elvis, enough with the dull angel storylines.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Please, for the love of Elvis, enough with the dull angel storylines.

Yes this.

I powered through Season 9 on Netflix and finally watched the first episode of Season 10 today.

This show has been slipping in quality steadily since the end of Season 5, but up until Season 9 I would say it was still far better a show for many reasons than anything else on the CW or similar networks. But the writing has been progressively duller as it has gone on. This obsession with angels is going to be the end of the show, why on earth are the writers still sticking with it. I really like Castiel and even Gadreel/Metatron are worth having around but the rest of it - the whole angel v angel storyline in Season 9 has been dire. And in particular the writing of Jared's character has been very weak I am starting to feel sorry for JP having to work with such shoddy writing of his character! The brothers and their bond is the heart of this show. Its actually damn nice to have a show without romance and irritating love triangles in it.

They are both great actors - they need better material to work with! If the writing in Season 10 does not improve from the previous two seasons, I think they should end this show at the end of Season 10. I know they have signed on for an 11th season, but I hate it when shows decline into a shadow of their former selves and just limp on e.g. X Files. Please for the love of the Winchesters end it on a strong season. Get Kripke writing more again maybe anything...
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an okay episode and my only gripe is dean wasn't demony enough. Apart from the CCTV you could be mistaken for thinking dean was just hanging with Crowley because he and Sam were still doing their own thing like last season. He was just being dean, a drunk womaniser with, at times, a temper on him who likes to sing eye of the tiger and other tunes from the 80s. They even got the longing state out the Impala.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    It was an okay episode and my only gripe is dean wasn't demony enough. Apart from the CCTV you could be mistaken for thinking dean was just hanging with Crowley because he and Sam were still doing their own thing like last season. He was just being dean, a drunk womaniser with, at times, a temper on him who likes to sing eye of the tiger and other tunes from the 80s. They even got the longing state out the Impala.

I got the feeling that they're a bit wary about how far to push it, with Dean being the show's most favourite character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got the feeling that they're a bit wary about how far to push it, with Dean being the show's most favourite character.

I think they are going to end up pushing Sam's character again rather than Dean's by the end of the series. The promo pictures of Sam released a couple of days ago and descriptions of Sam becoming a "monster" (will try find original source can't remember now where I read it)... are worrying. I really hope they don't go down the route of evil Sam again.

I can however see them bringing the idea of Abel up and having Sam turn into a half-angel to balance Deans half-demon. That might actually work in a way. Albeit the brother v brother idea was done before with Lucifer and Michael.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well episode 2 was ok. Better than I expected really. I think Jensen Ackles is having a ball playing the Deanmon, and I did love the Inigo Montoya line lol.

A bit nervous for next weeks episode after seeing the trailer. The sooner we have the brothers back together again the better.

Still not really enjoying the angel side story though. The character of Hannah seems to be mirroring season 5 Castiel a lot.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Well episode 2 was ok. Better than I expected really. I think Jensen Ackles is having a ball playing the Deanmon, and I did love the Inigo Montoya line lol.
    To be honest, Deanmon isn't half what I expected he'd be. I guess he hasn't completely transformed yet as he retains some form of humanity (he didn't kill that bouncer for example), just took him out.
    A bit nervous for next weeks episode after seeing the trailer. The sooner we have the brothers back together again the better.
    I'm not seeing this anytime soon. This season seems to have three stories going for it. One the one front, you've got Sam trying to rescue Dean, on the second front, you've got a (seemingly) lonely Crowley who wants a partner (of sorts) to help him run Hell - he thought that could be Dean, he was wrong. And on the third front, you've got Castiel and his condition.
    Still not really enjoying the angel side story though. The character of Hannah seems to be mirroring season 5 Castiel a lot.
    I think that's intentional; few Angels have spent time on Earth, and she's figuring out what it means to be Human. Least she has a good mentor. :p

I wish they'd just kill Metatron though, he's obviously going to escape, or be released, and then there's going to be another stupid Metatron arc. His bored me to tears last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    To be honest, Deanmon isn't half what I expected he'd be. I guess he hasn't completely transformed yet as he retains some form of humanity (he didn't kill that bouncer for example), just took him out.

I think that's intentional; few Angels have spent time on Earth, and she's figuring out what it means to be Human. Least she has a good mentor. :p

I wish they'd just kill Metatron though, he's obviously going to escape, or be released, and then there's going to be another stupid Metatron arc. His bored me to tears last season.

Yes he definitely still has some parts of humanity left. Not sure where they are going to take that yet. I don't think Dean will get to the point of killing Sam, but maybe he will feed him demon blood...

I don't mind Hannah really I just hope it doesn't become a huge part of the ongoing storyline. The actress who plays her is very pretty though. And agree on Metatron, the season needs a new big bad, he just isn't ominous enough.

Did they ever definitely say that Gadreel was dead at the end of season 9? We see him lying face down in the cell but that was all. If they do bring any other angels into it, he would have been a good choice for an redemption sideline maybe.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Dean in the fight. He looked so badass. Dean obviously isn't full on Demon yet but I can't say he has much humanity left in him either. The way he threatened Sam at the end, if he had humanity, he wouldn't have said that. Don't even get me started on the "It's just a car" line.
    It seems his humanity only goes as far as not killing someone but probably only because he gets some kick out of being a Demon when he doesn't kill someone. Almost like he enjoys the withdrawls. Not sure that means he has humanity. As he said, not killing the bloke was the worst thing he could do to him. I also am struggling to believe this guy will go on to become a super hunter by reading some books from a shabby library if that is where they are going. Are we to believe a bloke with a few books and a few weeks/months experience is to take on Dean in SuperCain mode? the most experienced hunters couldn't even do that yet it looks like they are building him up to be a threat.... Yea, Nope!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Hannah really I just hope it doesn't become a huge part of the ongoing storyline. The actress who plays her is very pretty though. And agree on Metatron, the season needs a new big bad, he just isn't ominous enough.
    That she is. I also think (as many others likely suspect) that she'll eventually become romantically linked with Castiel.
    Did they ever definitely say that Gadreel was dead at the end of season 9? We see him lying face down in the cell but that was all. If they do bring any other angels into it, he would have been a good choice for an redemption sideline maybe.
    Gadreel most certainly is dead yeah, unfortunately. I thought throughout Season #9 that he had a lot of potential, but they go and kill him. He essentially sacrificed himself so that Castiel could escape Heavens Prison.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it wrong to say that I'm going to miss this current Dean when they have him return back to normal? Don't get me wrong, I love normal Dean and all...But this new side is just so awesome. :cool:
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Completely forgot this was back first time iv ever forgotten about a supernatural premire
    its a far cry from the days when Id be gasping for more supernatural now I just want to see how it ends its long overdue at this stage

these latest 2 eps feel so dull
    crowley does my tits in
    angels stories just p!ss me off now at this stage

demon dean has been a let down I suspect the above poster was right there playing it safe because he is a main character but if they were worried about that why even bother going down that route in the firstplace:confused:

im in the show now mainly for the standalones hopfully a good few pop up soon and the main/angell story p!sses off

infact in the final episode of the show Id rather see sam and dean sit in a motel room discuss there history hunting together for the past 10years then at the end they head out in the car while the sunsets to metallica roaring from the radio LOL than hear more angel/demon guys in business suits standing around issuing non threats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gadreel most certainly is dead yeah, unfortunately. I thought throughout Season #9 that he had a lot of potential, but they go and kill him. He essentially sacrificed himself so that Castiel could escape Heavens Prison.

Majority of all the angel plotlines are boring but when they find some good ones they kill them off e.g. Balthazar/Gadreel. Annoying.
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id like to see the character of death appear and take on Dean.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying this season so far. It's kind of playing with different themes, I like seeing the consequences of their actions from years ago, it makes a sort of change from the massive angel vs demons/lucifer/apocalypse arcs. He may not be a hunter of sorts, but I guess the soldier training will help him become a credible threat, even if he doesn't know anything about demons, once he knows about the holy water/devils traps.etc he can become a threat.

I also like Hannah, I can sort of see where the storyline is going - romantic storyline, which will probably give her a dilemma as she may not want to go back to heaven, like she's been trying to get angels to do.

And of course Deanmon (now the official new nickname it seems!). I can't see where the storyline is going, which is a good thing it will surprise me. Apart from trying to cure Dean I have no idea what else will be involved in the storyline.

10 years on and it's still good! At least in my opinion anyway. It may have evolved into something different, but that's good, shows need to evolve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    demon dean has been a let down I suspect the above poster was right there playing it safe because he is a main character but if they were worried about that why even bother going down that route in the firstplace
    I must concur, I did expect a lot more from Deanmon. Maybe that's something that'll progress, though it's more likely the season will aim toward turning him back.

I must confess though (if I haven't already, I forget) but this season hasn't really struck out at me yet.
    Majority of all the angel plotlines are boring but when they find some good ones they kill them off e.g. Balthazar/Gadreel. Annoying.
    I know, right? Loved Balthazar (and Gadreel). Don't get me wrong, I love the character of Castiel too (especially his earlier days) but it would be nice to see the Heaven arc from anothers point of view (currently Hannah it would seem).
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jared and Jenson said in a recent interview, they could never see Sam and Dean just give it up and have a normal life. Both thought they had to die for good when the show comes to an end.

My take is Deanom is getting control of the mark quicker than Crowley ever thought, the original Cain in season 9 gave up hunting when he met the woman he loved. But we never had confirmed he could not control the mark before that. So is Dean evolving into something other than a bog standard demon? Crowley can't control him already and looks worried.
  • Options
    servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    it looks like Deanmon is a different sort of demon to the usual possessed ones, so I the cure may be different.
    I loved Crowley's selfies with dean when they slpit up. I laughed.
    I am guessing that they won't follow up the Cain killed Abel storyline, that would cause a complete uproar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little note. Poor Sam, how terrible does he look.

I like it :D:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just a little note. Poor Sam, how terrible does he look.

I like it :D:blush:

Ah poor Sam, the trailer for the next episode looks hard on him too, Dean hunting him through the bunker in Shining "Here's Deanno" mode :o

I think the injury Jared had on his shoulder ironically actually works well for this series, not being able to bulk up between seasons has made him look an awful lot more vulnerable. I wonder what Cas' reaction is going to be when he finally comes face to face with Deanmon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the injury Jared had on his shoulder ironically actually works well for this series, not being able to bulk up between seasons has made him look an awful lot more vulnerable. I wonder what Cas' reaction is going to be when he finally comes face to face with Deanmon.
    I'd be more interested to know how an Angel can't heal a simple broken bone. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd be more interested to know how an Angel can't heal a simple broken bone. :p

Cas has no grace left to be able to heal anything - he couldn't heal himself in the last episode, Hannah did it for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah poor Sam, the trailer for the next episode looks hard on him too, Dean hunting him through the bunker in Shining "Here's Deanno" mode :o

Yep, I'm looking forward to next week:blush:

Jared has been slimming down for a couple of seasons now, I think having kids has done that to him:D He's more like his season one self, wiry and tough rather than he-man style. The costume department have finally cottoned on and taken in his clothes now instead of letting them hang on him.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember in season 2 or 3(????), he broke his wrist and was in a cast for a number of episodes. The week it happened in the show they did have a line and Sam said, "I think ?????? broke my wrist."
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so tired of this show now. It's become repetitive and redundant.