Options

The Bletchley Circle Series Two

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
Forum Member
For anyone who enjoyed the first series, The Bletchley Circle is back on Monday at 9pm on ITV1.

Comments

• Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I 'd watched the first series, I find it harder to keep up with itv dramas because the itv catch up only shows the most recent episode on Virgin on demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wish I 'd watched the first series, I find it harder to keep up with itv dramas because the itv catch up only shows the most recent episode on Virgin on demand.

It's been repeated on ITV3 and they may show it again at some point. It's worth keeping an eye out :)
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll search on Virgin and keep an eye out fir it :)
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the program about the lady code breakers who turn detectives? I loved the first series of that! Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    Is that the program about the lady code breakers who turn detectives? I loved the first series of that! Thanks for the heads up.

That's the one, Gooby :)
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to this. Brilliant cast.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not looking forward to the pedants coming on here and complaining about stuff like the characters wearing the right sort of clothes for the era...

Heaven forbid that anyone should be driving a car that was only available a couple of years after the show was set
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Not looking forward to the pedants coming on here and complaining about stuff like the characters wearing the right sort of clothes for the era...

Heaven forbid that anyone should be driving a car that was only available a couple of years after the show was set

Or the registration plates being wrong. Or the train tracks being the wrong type which are a couple that were mentioned on another thread recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I am really looking forward to this. Rachael Stirling is wonderful.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who enjoyed the first series, The Bletchley Circle is back on Monday at 9pm on ITV1.

Thanks for that,will certainly be watching :)

I'd seen previews and thought it was a repeat so wasn't going to watch it :(
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

While I agree with you about the anachronisms, is it OK to complain about huge leaps in logic when they decipher clues? Some of those in the first series were ridiculous.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    While I agree with you about the anachronisms, is it OK to complain about huge leaps in logic when they decipher clues? Some of those in the first series were ridiculous.

Does anyone remember a US detective series where the star was a mathematician who helped his (police officer) brother to solve crimes mathematically. He would write a load of gibberish, to look like equations, on a blackboard and then tell his brother who the killer was and where to find him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember a US detective series where the star was a mathematician who helped his (police officer) brother to solve crimes mathematically. He would write a load of gibberish, to look like equations, on a blackboard and then tell his brother who the killer was and where to find him.

Numbers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is on Netflix
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paul McGann didn't last long.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Story of his career.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member

Surely they're going to have more flashbacks otherwise it'd be a waste.

Having went to a girls' school, I do like the girl power feel. Hope that is maintained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Story of his career.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Story of his career.

He lived on in audio though! Seems to be in quite a lot lately :)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are too many ludicrous plot holes, unless I fell asleep in the bits where they were explained:

How could the woman and the dead man be the parents of the girl? The action takes place around 1955, so the girl would have been born around 1937. The impression we had at the beginning is that the couple first met during the war.

If the deaths at salisbury were so hush-hush, where did the newspaper pages come from?

How big a coincidence was it that the women walked past a house just as the girl came out? And how did they know which flat was hers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not reading anything on here until I've watched it :D
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are too many ludicrous plot holes, unless I fell asleep in the bits where they were explained:

How could the woman and the dead man be the parents of the girl? The action takes place around 1955, so the girl would have been born around 1937. The impression we had at the beginning is that the couple first met during the war.

If the deaths at salisbury were so hush-hush, where did the newspaper pages come from?

How big a coincidence was it that the women walked past a house just as the girl came out? And how did they know which flat was hers?

Obviously they knew each other way before their time at Bletchley, at least seven years before, if the daughter is now 17.

Whatever happened accident wise at Salisbury obviously was big local news and made the papers, but the truth of what was behind the accident didn't. Dead man obviously saw through the articles what really happened or pehaps had some involvement.

They knew the address of the girl because the woman in the flower shop gave it to them when they went snooping about the flower delivery. And yes... it was just a coincidence that she happened to walk out as they arrived!
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I find Susan's sudden leaps in logic a bit hard to fathom and also found the coincidence of Elizabeth walking out of the house just as Susan and Milly happened to be passing a bit much. But otherwise I really enjoyed this. Yes, the plot can be a bit complicated at times (and I remember this from the last series) but I love the whole ambience and the relationship between the four women. I would love to know the full backstory between Susan and Milly and that trip abroad they were meant to take. I remember it coming up last series as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think the parents' backstory was properly explored.It's played in 1943 as if they'd only known each other for that period rather than going way back.

It all seemed a bit like daytime TV; Rosemary and Thyme had edgier stuff than this!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's perfectly acceptable to complain about those leaps :)