Driving / ESA / DLA

zak2012zak2012 Posts: 331
Forum Member
Hi, i just need some advice for my friend,she on ESA WARG group and DLA both lower rate she has mental health problems depression and anxiety ,she cant use bus ,she now thinking of getting a car she already got driiving licence,the question is is she allowed to drive?we looked at dvla website it says IF your depression or anxiety affect your driving you need to tell us,however her health problems is not affecting her driving is she still need to tell them? but cant use bus or walk ,but in car she feel fine,anyone in same situation?or she not allowed to drive?thanks for advice

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    zak2012 wrote: »
    Hi, i just need some advice for my friend,she on ESA WARG group and DLA both lower rate she has mental health problems depression and anxiety ,she cant use bus ,she now thinking of getting a car she already got driiving licence,the question is is she allowed to drive?we looked at dvla website it says IF your depression or anxiety affect your driving you need to tell us,however her health problems is not affecting her driving is she still need to tell them? but cant use bus or walk ,but in car she feel fine,anyone in same situation?or she not allowed to drive?thanks for advice

Has her doctor told her not to drive,
  • zak2012zak2012 Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Has her doctor told her not to drive,

No .

can she get a car? do ATOS/DWP contact dvla about this?etc.. ?or how they find out?by credit chek?
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No .

can she get a car? do ATOS/DWP contact dvla about this?etc.. ?or how they find out?by credit chek?

Well I am in the ESA WRAG group and also receive DLA {lower rate} but nothing to do with depression or anxiety.

'Contribution' based ESA is only payable for 365 days and then a person may or may not get 'income related' ESA { so its means tested }

Even if a person gave me a car there is no way would I have any spare money to pay for Insurance { and I am 60 } which leads me to suspect your friend may have savings which then can trigger a reduction in ESA { savings over £6,000 } and may also affect Council tax benefits and Local Housing Allowance.

Unless your friend is living in a remote area I would expect the DWP may soon find out about it { as many neighbours will report anything strange } and they will be all over your friend to find out how they could afford to run a car.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    No .

If the doctor has not told not to drive, then there is nothing stopping her just buying a car, no one gets in touch with DVLA, if she is unsure about things then I would ask her doctor if he thinks she is ok to drive.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,401
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    If the doctor has not told not to drive, then there is nothing stopping her just buying a car, no one gets in touch with DVLA, if she is unsure about things then I would ask her doctor if he thinks she is ok to drive.

That would indeed seem to be the best advice under the current circumstances.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course she can drive - and what's her benefits situation got to do with it?

Are you getting this information because she's asked you because I'm wondering why you're actually asking these questions.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incredible! :D

Not sure if the OP is a genuine question or not, but if it is...

How can this be serious? Is she unable to use personal judgement?

If she's literally too depressed or anxious to drive surely she'd know about it herself, and of course if the doctor has told her not to drive she shouldn't.

But assuming neither of those things is the case she's good to go! I know people with all sorts of disorders and mental health conditions... they never even let the DVLA know because it's too minor for anyone to care.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lose my driving license due to the medication I was/am taking. It causes lack of balance, drowsy and dizziness.
    I reported it to the DVLA, who took it off me for at least 6 months.
    This has now lapsed so I could apply for it again, but as the dosage has increased twice since informing dvla I doubt I would get it.
    I have now got a disabled bus pass as I have had my license revoked.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    Well I am in the ESA WRAG group and also receive DLA {lower rate} but nothing to do with depression or anxiety.

'Contribution' based ESA is only payable for 365 days and then a person may or may not get 'income related' ESA { so its means tested }

Even if a person gave me a car there is no way would I have any spare money to pay for Insurance { and I am 60 } which leads me to suspect your friend may have savings which then can trigger a reduction in ESA { savings over £6,000 } and may also affect Council tax benefits and Local Housing Allowance.

Unless your friend is living in a remote area I would expect the DWP may soon find out about it { as many neighbours will report anything strange } and they will be all over your friend to find out how they could afford to run a car.

That's quite an assumption, why would her neighbours know, or want to know she is on ESA?
    Then why would they report her having a car anyway?! Unless they were very odd people
    ?
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    That's quite an assumption, why would her neighbours know, or want to know she is on ESA?
    Then why would they report her having a car anyway?! Unless they were very odd people
    ?

Because unfortunately there are some very spiteful people out there who think if you are claiming any type of benefit you should not have anything and should be living on the breadline.
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OP posted both threads the same day, so I would think just trying to get an answer from a different forum in case nobody replies to one or the other.
    Also, perhaps thought it would not make someone dredge around to see what else they post..............................................
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »

see now i could EASILY afford to run a car on esa, plenty can and do.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a stroke 6 years ago that has left me with no control of my left arm and hardly any to my leg. Strokes and mental problems must be reported to DVLA and if you do not report it, basically it’s the same as driving without a license or insurance.

After I was release from hospital I reported my stroke to DVLA who gave me a declaration to fill out and return to them they then contacted my GP and my hospital consultant for their views on me being fit to drive.

After a month or so DVLA re-issued my licence from a full license to one that states I must only drive automatic cars with adaption to the controls. If I get stopped by the police they can tell if the vehicle I’m driving is fit for my condition without doing any other checks.

Medical condition that must be reported can be found here.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she asked her Doctor for his opinion? Anxiety and any medication may make her unfit to drive.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    ?
    rds60h wrote: »
    Because unfortunately there are some very spiteful people out there who think if you are claiming any type of benefit you should not have anything and should be living on the breadline.

The DWP gets reports every day as the poster above pointed out - I was reported myself for doing Voluntary Charity work where it was claimed I was being paid - They contacted the Charity who confirmed it was unpaid work but I still had to show my bank statements for one year so it does happen.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I have Aspergers Syndrome and the above situation and I drive, since 2012.