✭✭✭
I can't :(

I'd like to learn one, can't decide what though, guitar maybe

How easy/hard is it to learn?

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only remember how to play ONE song from piano exams twelve years ago. I used to play flute and violin as well, but after I was 10 I was like, f this. I know scales, and how to read music. That you'd never really forget, but I wouldn't confidently say I can play anything. These days I can only try to play.

My instruments have become glorified dust collectors.

It's not that difficult to learn. You'd just need to practice, otherwise you'd become like me. The horror!
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Practice is the key whichever instrument you chose.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I can
    I play the Triangle :D
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to play the violin.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    I would suggest going for lessons, this helps to provide not only instruction, but also the encouragement to keep going.

If you choose to learn piano it's fairly easy to move to other instruments later, and piano forces you to learn to read music, and to use both hands. It also makes your fingers more supple, which is useful for guitar if you choose to go that way.

I don't play anything, but my daughter plays multiple instruments.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can play the gramophone.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to play the recorder, and was learning the clarinet for a while then gave up.

My sister took guitar lessons a few years ago, and she gave up after a few months, she was too lazy to practise and thought that she should've been Jimmy Hendrix by then. So my advice would be pick something you will enjoy and be prepared to put in the work to make yourself good. :)
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play anything with keyboards, though I am a trained organist. Sing, too.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Playing The trumpet (amateur standards) earned me a lance corporals stripe within 3 weeks of arriving for N/S at Catterick camp, and later kept me clear of all guard duties and fatigues playing in the ships hastily formed dance band on the outbound 4 weeks cruise to Singapore.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Playing The trumpet (amateur standards) earned me a lance corporals stripe within 3 weeks of arriving for N/S at Catterick camp, and later kept me clear of all guard duties and fatigues playing in the ships hastily formed dance band on the outbound 4 weeks cruise to Singapore.

Nice result! :D
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornet/muggle horn / french horn/ horn of mordor

grade 8 with bribery

brass bands are brilliant orchestras suck as a brass player lots of waiting around to play a note
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Does turntables count? keeping the records in time with the beats from one vinyl to the other needs skill especially getting the pitch bang on.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does man flute count?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played the flute until just halfway through my Grade 7 when I gave up because I had to put up with increasing levels of musical bullshit like being expected to know the history of music and the various styles of classical music as well as being expected to know every key signature off-by-heart, none of which I cared about at all.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I play trombone. Husband and both kids play the cornet.
    Off to band practise tonight in fact (brass band).
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like most boys I can play the hairy banjo very well and too often.

but I do play the guitar, bass and real banjo to a not bad level of competence.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I can play, bass, classical guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, baritone, flute, keyboard, and I am a bit out of practice, downstairs new neighbours can hardly bear my family walking on carpeted surfaces after 8pm far less a go on the trumpet or acoustic..of a weekend.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    I can play, bass, classical guitar, electric guitar, trumpet, trombone, baritone, flute, keyboard, and I am a bit out of practice, downstairs new neighbours can hardly bear my family walking on carpeted surfaces after 8pm far less a go on the trumpet or acoustic..of a weekend.

to circumvent tone deaf neighbours who don't appreciate free recitals of loud guitar playing [ can you believe people like that ? ] get some headphones and pleasure yourself instead, if you know what I mean.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Does turntables count? keeping the records in time with the beats from one vinyl to the other needs skill especially getting the pitch bang on.

To say nowt of key clashes ;-)
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am learning to play Electric Guitar. I bought a game called Rocksmith 2014. Its pretty good. Within one month I am playing my favourite rock songs without any previous playing experience. The game came with a genuine Gibson Les Paul guitar which I was pleased about. Didn't waste any money on lessons.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    To say nowt of key clashes ;-)

Skill of the DJ there who knows when to bring in a melody over a beat and not a melody over a melody with key clashes. Beats playing over beats can be chopped in and out of with the cross fader or ride over the top of each other creating a proper chunky beat.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violin grade 5.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can play one tune on several instruments... not the same tune I hasten to add :D

To be honest, much like singing I was always far too lazy to practice and about the only thing I can play reasonably well is the Harmonica.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guitar, Ukulele, Bodhran, Keyboard and Bagpipes. Aren't you glad I'm not your neighbour!:o
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guitar, Bass, Violin, Banjo and Piano.