Options

Is John Bishop funny?

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
I've never watched him or listened to him properly purely on the fact I can't stand his voice.

I turned off the R2 breakfast show this morning because he was on.

(the trend for having celebrities rather than proper radio presenters gets on my goat)

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he's another one I just don't get.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the new age "comedians" who isn't in the least funny.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe he is.

I agree with you about celebrity radio hosts though.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find him funny. His act seemed to be always based around one joke, his wide-eyed surprise at his new found fame. But that continued too long, he was doing the same thing after filling big venues for a couple of years.
    I did enjoy his recent programme about going back to Australia and following the cycling route he had taken 20 years ago. I think he's probably a better presenter than he is a comedian
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a matter of taste, I find him funny but then I also find Al Murray, Jim Davidson, Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr funny. Where as many people cannot stand them.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    That's like asking if cheese tastes nice or if Blue is a nice colour, if you thiunk so then to you yes, if you dont, then to you, it aint.

It's all subjective surely?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed his act. But, like MacIntyre, I am puzzled as to why he is so very huge. I expect its more down to marketing than actual talent as to who gets to be enormous and who gets stuck on the club circuit.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just think of the similarity between him and McIntyre- both smiley and engaging and the fact that their material is on the thin and harmless side is a plus for the neurotic beeb. Plus he ticks a regional box. Job done, producer.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love him,but I like Lee Evans and Peter Kay -all different but cannot stand a lot of others -humour is a personal choice ,where one person can be rolling around the floor laughing another can be just sat there saying "I don't get it,it's not funny "
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've enjoyed his act. But, like MacIntyre, I am puzzled as to why he is so very huge. I expect its more down to marketing than actual talent as to who gets to be enormous and who gets stuck on the club circuit.

Bishop was awesome in 150-200 seat venues the year before he got big, naturally funny and owned the stage.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched John's comedy stand-ups on TV, I often found his sense of humour so-so.

His recent Australia TV documentary on BBC turned out to be quite flat & boring (I'm aware that there were 3 episodes involved but episode 1 was enough for me) but I wondered why BBC gave him so much space making that pointless programme in the first place. It didn't endear me to Mr Bishop much afterwards.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a matter of taste surely?

I find about as funny as a punch in the face but that's just me, I know a lot of people do like him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is brilliant as a comedian and a presenter - but I can't bear Michael McIntyre, it's just a matter of personal taste
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He laughs at his own jokes, so surely he must be.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Is John Bishop funny?

Possibly more so than either Ricky Gervais or Jack Whitehall.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I've never watched him or listened to him properly purely on the fact I can't stand his voice.

I turned off the R2 breakfast show this morning because he was on.

(the trend for having celebrities rather than proper radio presenters gets on my goat)

I had to do exactly the same. His voice and over-egged accent hurts my ears. I'm sure he's a nice bloke, but I don't get his humour nor his Scouse-Simpleton act.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put him in the same group as Michael MacIntyre, Sarah Millican, Jack Whitehall, and Russell Howard, as the comedians that leave me stone cold. I have watched his act a few times trying to see what others do and.....no sorry just can't see it. His delivery is deliberately slow and that strange speech pattern is like nails down a blackboard. His 'Jokes' are very curious to say the least. No not funny imo.I hate the way comedians never produce big entertainment sketch type shows anymore, it's all stand up, or those tedious panel shows, where they flex their egos.:(
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ....
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's about as funny as Mel and Sue.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I find him funny.
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is no!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is John Bishop funny?

Possibly more so than either Ricky Gervais or Jack Whitehall.

That's not really saying much, is it? :D

You can add the smug, ever unfunny James Corden to that as well!
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Most comedians are liked by a minority of people and disliked by a majority I would estimate, or at least met with indifference. If 10% of the general public like you then you've got a great career, I suppose.

I think it's even harder if you've been around for a few years and had success as people get used to your act/style and you become a bit of a caricature and easy to lampoon whereas if you are the new flavour of the month then your act is somewhat fresh. There might be some comedians who are almost universally liked but they must be few and far between.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find him funny but OH does.
  • Options
    The SnowmanThe Snowman Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not the funniest comedian but then there is worse out there than him.