Options

Gary Bushell

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Whatever happened to Gary and his beard ?
He had a nice little slot on TV at one time... meeting up
with lots of celebs.... Jim Davidson... Linda Nolan.... Faith Brown...

having little intimate chats with them... going back stage....
chatting in their dressing rooms....

He was a kind of ... friend of the stars.... back then !

Comments

• Options
    Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Bushell on the Box was great reading in The Sun, but eould have to say Ally Ross is better now.

Bushell was a regular on Noel's House Party and he was a judge on a talent show back in the 90's, can't remember the name.

He liked surrounding himself with busty beauties!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    ....ia a homophobic moron and deserves to never be seen or heard again.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member

Bushell was a regular on Noel's House Party and he was a judge on a talent show back in the 90's, can't remember the name.

That is where I remember his name from!
    If I recall correctly, Bushell was about as well liked as James Whale back then :)
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    I think he did have his own show... prob once a week 10.35 or something where he d chat with celebs like Linda Nolan , Faith Brown... very show biz type stars... Vikki Michelle.. Jim Davidson...

kind of ... variety stars... from the 70s and 80s

an era now buried by reality shows... endless soaps and
    morons like Simon Cowell

and accountants being in charge of TV planning.

Gary... prob in his 60s now.... must still be around
    .... somewhere !
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....ia a homophobic moron and deserves to never be seen or heard again.

he certainly was obsessed with gay men and their sex lives. Definitely deserves to be left back in the 80s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    he certainly was obsessed with gay men and their sex lives. Definitely deserves to be left back in the 80s

Exactly.

He shouldn't be compared to James Whale either. James is completely 'gay-friendly'.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suprised him or James Whale have never surfaced on reality tv.
  • Options
    Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Bushell would be an excellent signing on CBB

I think he fell out with The Sun when they did not publish extracts out of a book he was doing - although they did with Richard Littlejohn and Jane Moore.

I think the last time I saw him, his Bushell on the Box was in the Star on Sunday - was a couple of years ago though.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushell (born 1955, thus 59) is a truly nasty piece of work, as far back as his days writing for Sounds, where he didn't so much promote the sub-punk right-wing/homophobic/racist Oi! movement as essentially create it. He compiled an Oi! album with the subtle title of Strength Thru OI !. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He lives near me. I regularly see him out in the morning buying a paper, as I'm on the way to the station.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Bushell would be an excellent signing on CBB

I think he fell out with The Sun when they did not publish extracts out of a book he was doing - although they did with Richard Littlejohn and Jane Moore.

I think the last time I saw him, his Bushell on the Box was in the Star on Sunday - was a couple of years ago though.

He is indeed in the Star but when I've read the column the odd time it's stuck in the 1980's
    He wasn't a bad writer but as so many have said certainly came across as very homophobic at one time (even if he may not have been )
    Whether or not he would do Celeb Big brother now could be doubtful as the five take over is I believe back on track again
    So Richard Desmond may no longer want to give the station free publicity in his papers as he no longer owns it 😄
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

He shouldn't be compared to James Whale either. James is completely 'gay-friendly'.

Totally agree James hasn't got a racist or homophobic bone in his body
    Think he's happy doing his weekly podcasts his BBC work and of course. His archery once a week
    Very nice guy
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    I think he did have his own show... prob once a week 10.35 or something where he d chat with celebs like Linda Nolan , Faith Brown... very show biz type stars... Vikki Michelle.. Jim Davidson...

With guests like Faith Brown, Vicki Michelle and Jim Davidson, that must have been compelling must-see telly!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    With guests like Faith Brown, Vicki Michelle and Jim Davidson, that must have been compelling must-see telly!! :D

Yes you're right it might even have been CALLED Bushall on the Box
    Just checked it was indeed and ran for about 50 episodes went out on itv night network
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

Well, how nice to see someone take a comment and twist it to their own 'agenda'
    I never compared JW & GB on a 'gay-friendly' level,
    You are the one who seems obsessed about sexuality and homophobia.

I compared JW & GB because they are alike, thoroughly disagreeable neanderthal oiks, much like Katie Hopkins is perceived today!
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Bushell did a Q and A at Rebellion Festival the year before last I think.
  • Options
    2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Gary Bushelll nd his show and column in the sun. I remember him and his 'love' for Jo Brand.
    The last time I saw him was on Hells Kitchen waiting for a meal and Angus Deyton saying how he has probably eaten all the food.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Whale is awesome.

Bushell is a tw*t.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I vaguely remember him lobbying for fox hunting and The Sun insulting him in their articles. I remember one where they referred to him as the Bearded Butcher. His column disappeared soon after and I never heard from him again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always came across as a complete tit to be honest, wasn't aware he was in The Star these days or that anybody cared about his opinions.

He was a typical Sun journalist, just obnoxious for the sake of it. Unless it was Big Break or Noels House Party he didn't like it - his reviews were always the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently he's in a band called The Gonads.

Apt, as he has always talked a load of old bo***cks!
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC his book was serialized by the Star while he was working for the Sun & they sacked him

Good Riddance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Bushell and James Whale would be perfect for Celebrity Antiques Driveabout presented by Tim Whatac@nt.
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Gary Bushell and James Whale would be perfect for Celebrity Antiques Driveabout presented by Tim Whatac@nt.

Round of applause for the underlined - a brilliant idea!!! :p

LOLLLL for the bolded!!! :D:D:D:D:cool:

As far as posts go this is practically perfect. :kitty: ;-)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless it was Big Break or Noels House Party he didn't like it - his reviews were always the same.

When OFAH finished (meaning the proper ending, not the three add-on episodes) he campaigned long and boringly for a spin-off called 'The Nag's Head', based around the pub.