'Strictly' fans complain about Dixon

Comments

• reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm relieved to hear someone defending Alesha, I think so far the howls of outrage have been a little over the top in response to the temerity of her daring to judge on SCD. Isn't it time to accept it (for this series at least?) and move on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    The problem is Alesha does not have the experience or qualifications in order to 'judge' other contestants and back up what she is saying. She should of, at most, been a new presenter for the show alongside Bruce Forsyth.

Her comments were pointless, vague and not constructive in the slightest. This is a dancing competition primarily, not a singing show, and the whole point of the judges on the show is too offer professional, constructive criticism in order to improve on dancers performances in all possible ways. The BBC would never dare have a football pundit on Match of the Day for someone who has played football a few times and won a few matches in a one off celeb competition.

The BBC obviously attempted to make her the new face of Strictly and spice it up a little. Unfortunately for her, all her efforts at trying to be a judge are strictly all in vain and everything is looking elsewhere for someone who can add real weight to the show. .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alesha's gonna do fine.

Let's not forget how cringeworthy the wooden, rehearsed Arlene was- that's why she was sacked.

And, I am sure the BBC are gutted that SCD is all over the newspapers today with the latest controversy ;)

A smart move by the Beeb bringing Alesha on board. Ignore the backlash - it will fizzle out soon enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alesha seems to be holding her own as best as possible. I do think Darcy coming in sooner or Karen/Camilla would have been a better choice.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I have no problem at all with Alesha judging, to my mind she's 'me' on the judging panel, with a bit more experience - I thought generally she made decent points and the marking was okay (ignoring the bizzare mark for Lynda :confused: )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alesha's major hurdle is that she is perceived as knowing bugger all. That general perception (whether true or not) will be extremely difficult to dislodge. With all the bad press, I think she cannot recover. Each mistake she makes or is perceived to make over coming weeks will just serve as further justification that she is a vacuous and pointless pretty face, parachuted in to counter Cheryl Cole on the X-Factor.

It was always going to be an uphill struggle, following the row over ditching Arlene for youth. Whatever her faults, there was no denying that Arlene has over 30-40 years of dancing, choreographing experience etc, etc.

Replacing Arlene with a relative novice was just another BBC clanger. Having watched the two shows, I couldn't stop thinking that Aleshas position on the judging panel was superfluous and unproductive, and her comments inane twaddle in some cases. I simply couldn't take her seriously.

Arlene often said things that would make you cringe, but she could get away with it because her background and experience implicitly justified her place on the panel.

I fear that the negative band wagon against Alesha (that appears to be gathering steam) will also adversly affect her resurrected pop career here in the U.K.

If she survives the whole of series 7, then I doubt she'll be back for another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked if Alesha wasn't given some guidance on technical aspects of dancing before she joined the show, there's no way she would've been plonked in the chair and told to get on with it.

There's only so far you can go with commenting on dresses, enthusiasm etc. The bbc were well aware of her credentials when they hired her and they would have had an obligation to prepare her accordingly.

Having read the reports this morning about her I'm beginning to feel this will end badly for her through no fault of her own.

She was offered a job,(which she would've been mad to turn down) which the bbc knew she wasn't qualified for, so they should have been well prepared for backlash and prepared her for the role so she was well able to judge.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem at all with Alesha judging, to my mind she's 'me' on the judging panel, with a bit more experience - I thought generally she made decent points and the marking was okay (ignoring the bizzare mark for Lynda :confused: )

Agent K ,. I was like you thinking that Alesha will see what I see , just a dance and the glam and glitz and entertainment .
    So I think when she started talking about arms being wrong and hips being something , she lost me a little
    Maybe she should simply stick to the laymans way of watching and win us all over
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was never much of a fan of Arlene but I think the way the BBC sacked her was awful and I think Alesha is a totally inadquent replacement. If she stuck to the fashion, personality and entertainment side of the competition she might be at least half-way competent but the second she tries to get technical it's cringeworthy to watch.

The BBC have made a terrible mistake. I feel horrible for Alesha because I think she's a beautiful and lovely girl, but she couldn't be more wrong for this job. I spent most of last night feeling horribly embarrassed for her and wanting Arlene back because at least Arlene always looked comfortable on the panel. Alesha just doesn't.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article in yesterday's Guardian puts it pretty well I think

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2009/sep/19/strictly-judge-alesha-dixon-debut

She is churlish and I found the way she talked to the contestants last night particularly the female ones like Ali Bastian quite patronising. She showed similar inane jealousy towards Christine Bleakley last year as she did towards Hingis two nights ago for being Matthew Cutler's partner. Alesha's comments I'm afraid came at all the wrong time for Hingis.

She is a disaster for Strictly Come Dancing and the beginning of the end for the show has probably now begun particularly after last year's voting farce and John Seargeant's inability to dance.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is room for Alesha, I just wish they would have got rid of Bruno instead.

I miss Arlene, nothing to do with Alesha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't people give Alesha a chance?!! It was her first weekend and I think she did a pretty good job! :)
  • nimmynimnimmynim Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    alesha was fine!!! poor girl knew everyone was watc hing her every move and hanging on every word waiting for her to slip up! IT IS ONLY A GAMESHOW....... everyone is the either for fun or to forward there own career,,,,,, so far no winner [ or loser] has expressed a desire for a career in dance after the show and thats is why its ok for aleasha to judge them!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    SuperChiz wrote: »
    ........ She should of, at most, been a new presenter for the show alongside Bruce Forsyth. .........

Instead of Bruce Forsyth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly Come Dancing fans have argued that Alesha Dixon should be removed from her new role on the judging panel.

The Mirror reports that thousands of viewers complained on the BBC website, while forum and chatroom members said that Dixon does not have enough experience for the job.

The singer reportedly asked for help from her mother and grandmother, who were sitting behind her during the first show on Friday...

More here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/a178193/strictly-fans-complain-about-dixon.html

The BBC don't seem to think there is a problem. Typical attitude them, really. Of course, this being a tabloid story I'm prepared for the Mirror to be exaggerating the facts.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    When they announced that Alesha was replacing Arlene I did have reservations whether the BBC had done the right thing. However, she does bring a certain glamour and lightness to the panel, where before it was really weighted with critical and constructive comments.

She is similar to what Cheryl is to X Factor in that she has been through the contestant process. She does have some knowledge of the technical aspect, having done all the training, and the rest she just comments on what she can see.

Give her a chance, she's likeable and that part 'Muttley' and duck like laugh she has is quite amusing ...... her and Bruno are like the two naughty ones down the end of the panel.

She will never be Arlene, the show has taken a different direction ...... at least the viewers can feel they have one of 'us' on the panel. I did think that the panel was more 'viewer friendly', even though their decisions at the end won't go down well with everybody.

As for the tabloid's making the 'Alesha story' their headline, is all a bit pathetic ..... it may warrant a comment on the tv critic page but it's never a lead story.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Strictly fan and I don't want Alesha removed from the panel.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding her really dislikeable and i like her off the show. Her comments are terrible. "He's wearing pink - he should get points for wearing pink" i mean come on :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP (even though I was NEVER going to post on DS again due a most unjustified banning the reason for which shall remain a mystery) Alesha is great and I think its nonsense to slate her after 2 shows. People seem to forget that Strictly is an entertainment show end of. Its not about changing lives as in the X-Factor, the contestants are already celebrities with careers etc so it doesn't matter what the judges say in a way. And are people also saying that the knowledge and experience of Len Bruno and Craig is insuffienceit to point people in the right direction???? Alesha brings a new angle and as such has brought new life to the show. Go Alesha!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Strictly fan and I don't want Alesha removed from the panel.

What makes you think she is doing a good job?

To me, she looked very out of her depth. I found it quite uncomfortable viewing and felt sorry for her.

I know it's very early days so I hope she will improve but she's not a professional dancer and boy does it show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes you think she is doing a good job?

To me, she looked very out of her depth. I found it quite uncomfortable viewing and felt sorry for her.

Didn't say she was! I'm just not in the "off with her head!" camp.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the love of...

Do we REALLY need another new thread on this?

Couldn't this have been added to the other 30,000 threads on this subject? There is already one about the tabloid reaction, why couldn't this go elsewhere?

Sorry to the OP, not directly aimed at you but this is getting silly in general now.

I am sick to bloody death of only hearing about Alesha already and it's only day 2 of the series. The forum is starting to sound like a broken record.

I pity the poor celebs - some did really well last night but they hardly get a look in!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I don't feel Aleysha's comments are constructive, they appear to be based on how the dance is viewed and not a technical basis. At the end of the day it is a dance competition and if the dancers are to improve they need advice on how they can better themselves.

In her defense I was fortunate to be sat behind her mum & gran on Friday. Aleysha did speak to them but it was mum & daughter comments not advice on the dances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    For the love of...

Do we REALLY need another new thread on this?

Couldn't this have been added to the other 30,000 threads on this subject? There is already one about the tabloid reaction, why couldn't this go elsewhere?

Sorry to the OP, not directly aimed at you but this is getting silly in general now.

I am sick to bloody death of only hearing about Alesha already and it's only day 2 of the series. The forum is starting to sound like a broken record.

I pity the poor celebs - some did really well last night but they hardly get a look in!

You're right. I had sworn to keep away from threads marked 'Alesha', but it's hard to keep my treacherous fingers under control! But you're right, enough is enough.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    You're right. I had sworn to keep away from threads marked 'Alesha', but it's hard to keep my treacherous fingers under control! But you're right, enough is enough.

Well at least it's taken the heat off Len's decision to 'save' the BBC's own home bred Rav, over Martina who had potential to be a great contestant. ;)