Is Blu-Ray finally but slowly kicking in?

Comments

• scott26985scott26985 Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu-Rays biggest problem has always been price. A Blu-Ray has generally been about £20-£18 compared to the £10-£13 for the DVD.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scott26985 wrote: »
    Blu-Rays biggest problem has always been price. A Blu-Ray has generally been about £20-£18 compared to the £10-£13 for the DVD.

I've been buying Blurays for nearly 4 years.
    For a bog standard Blu I rarely pay more than £14 for a new UK release.
    Even US imports I get for about £15 and most of the ones I got were well under a tenner.

I've certainly got Blurays far cheaper than I ever did for dvd's in the early days.

Or do you buy in the High Street?
    Online prices are usually never higher than £17.99 and that would be only for something like a new Disney and then only as a new release.

Play and Amazon both list hundreds of Blurays under £7 down to below a fiver

I paid £7.99 for The Guns of Navarone.
    £9.99 for The Sound of Music
    £11.99 for West Side Story
    £12.99 for Quatermass and the Pit .

And I got 4 Disney discs for under £32 in the BOGOF the other week

Romancing the Stone was a US import and under £9 delivered.
    Dearest disc I've got recently was the US import 2 disc set of Zombie Flesheaters which was £19.99 , but thats an exception.

The 2 disc Tom and Jerry set was only £14.99 and House by the Cemetery was £15.99

Papillon was £19.99 but that was a digibook version
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose Blu-Ray discs will only come down in price once another format comes out, or when DVD becomes obsolete.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

Where do you pay 13 for a dvd ? Where do you find blu ray for £20 :eek: The most I paid for none boxset blu ray is £16. I've got some box sets less than £20 band of brothers for instance (amazing by the way )
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 373,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years I have replaced the majority of my VHS's with DVDs. I have no intention to ever do the same with Blu-ray!
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have your own ASDA online website that gives you a bigger blu ray selection then everyone else. :rolleyes:

I know what ASDA support think as they told me when I spoke to them. :)

I think the demise of asda online for blu rays e.t.c deserves its own discussion thread actually.

I've bought a lot of ASDA online so therefore I find their selection great.

So ONE person told you they thought their selection was rubbish? Were they speaking on behalf of the team?
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Over the years I have replaced the majority of my VHS's with DVDs. I have no intention to ever do the same with Blu-ray!

Rental is your friend...
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I suppose Blu-Ray discs will only come down in price once another format comes out, or when DVD becomes obsolete.

It'll happen faster than most think though.

Already the dvd players are being relegated to the "ghetto" shelf in many places, and there are bluray value bins where I'm at. At a certain point it just won't be in the stores interest to carry many dvds, just as with vhs, which quickly lost its justification for shelf space. Even if it is bargain bin priced, it also means lower profits and then it becomes a death spiral.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BD will never fully replace DVD for the simple reason that BD players play DVDs meaning there is no pressure to replace DVD collections completely like there was with VHS. The majority of the public also do not care about the HD picture and sound quality you get on BD so they will always be happy to be buy a cheaper DVD over a BD if it's available. It also means there is no real pressure for BDs to come down in price in the same way DVDs did once VHS dissappeared. BDs will always be priced above DVDs so I don't expect new releases of BDs to ever get much below £12 - £15 while the equivelent DVD will remain in the £8 - £10 area. Ofcourse as the BD catalogue increases there will be a wider range of bargains to be had at sub-DVD prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    I've bought a lot of ASDA online so therefore I find their selection great.

So ONE person told you they thought their selection was rubbish? Were they speaking on behalf of the team?

Its nothing to do with if the selection is rubbish or not they only stock a fraction of what they used to. They only stock about 200 blu rays now compared to 10's of thousands before they shut down asda entertainment.
    Its not just blu rays its DVD's as well, guess Asda entertainment was running at a massive loss.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    BD will never fully replace DVD for the simple reason that BD players play DVDs meaning there is no pressure to replace DVD collections completely like there was with VHS. The majority of the public also do not care about the HD picture and sound quality you get on BD so they will always be happy to be buy a cheaper DVD over a BD if it's available. It also means there is no real pressure for BDs to come down in price in the same way DVDs did once VHS dissappeared. BDs will always be priced above DVDs so I don't expect new releases of BDs to ever get much below £12 - £15 while the equivelent DVD will remain in the £8 - £10 area. Ofcourse as the BD catalogue increases there will be a wider range of bargains to be had at sub-DVD prices.

Goodness me! REALLY?!? And how do you know this? Are you perhaps speaking on behalf of the public now? If so, who elected you to do so?
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Entirely agree with this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to get a Blu-Ray player in the future, but am I right in thinking that the increased quality won't be as effective if it's not displayed on a big enough screen? Ours is only about a 16" Samsung :( I've watched films on Blu-Ray at a friend's house, who has an absolutely massive TV, and they look stunning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. I have well over 700 DVD's - there is absolutely no way I will be replacing them all. Besides which, I don't really 'get' Blu-Ray. I am absolutely fine with the quality of my DVD's.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to get a Blu-Ray player in the future, but am I right in thinking that the increased quality won't be as effective if it's not displayed on a big enough screen? Ours is only about a 16" Samsung :( I've watched films on Blu-Ray at a friend's house, who has an absolutely massive TV, and they look stunning.
    You wouldn't benefit now, but you probably will in the future, assuming you will one day get a larger TV - so there is still a case for buying a Blu-Ray player, and buying at least some of your films on Blu-Ray.

Most of the benefit comes to those with large screens and good surround sound systems.
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    You wouldn't benefit now, but you probably will in the future, assuming you will one day get a larger TV - so there is still a case for buying a Blu-Ray player, and buying at least some of your films on Blu-Ray.

Most of the benefit comes to those with large screens and good surround sound systems.

Yea a 16" tv you can see the difference only if you sit laptop close. You need way larger to see the resolution at a distance.

I kind of doubt a 16" tv is anything more than 720p anyways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Blurays are readily available for under £6.
    How low can they go?
    BDs will always be priced above DVDs so I don't expect new releases of BDs to ever get much below £12 - £15 .

You may be right although in recent months we had The Sound of Music for £9.99 , The Guns of Navarone (originally £7.99 but shipped today for £5.99) , American Grafitti for £7.99 and some US imports come in under £12 too.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    Blurays are readily available for under £6.
    How low can they go?

You may be right although in recent months we had The Sound of Music for £9.99 , The Guns of Navarone (originally £7.99 but shipped today for £5.99) , American Grafitti for £7.99 and some US imports come in under £12 too.

exactly the bargains are there if your willing to shop around,and not just go to the local hmv and get scalped
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be lucky. Unless you live in London or the Home Counties, expect to wait 5 days from the date of despatch with Play.

And it did arrive today too (not out until Monday) watched Jurassic Park 1 from the trilogy tonight and its a very good Blu Ray transfer, but OMG the 5.1 sound is immense, I'd not seen JP for years and forgot how great this film was upon its release ... rocked the house with the T-Rex scene.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member

You really need to shop around more!

Use find-dvd.co.uk and even Google for prices - and do check Ebay.

Just to give one example - Quatermass and the Pit has just been released on Blu-ray. Amazon list this at £12.99 plus postage. Look on Ebay - a lot of people list it at an AVERAGE Buy It Now price of £15, yet keep looking ........ some list it for as low as £10 (including postage!). And this is for a dual pack, ie Blu-ray and DVD with commentary track and a few interviews.

Frankly, anyone paying more than £14 for a Blu-ray needs to spend a couple of minutes to shop around more. :)
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest Blu-Ray is better quality than DVD and naturally as consumers maybe we should expect to pay a little more for that extra quality.
    However....... The prices that are being quoted here as being prices "across the board" are ridiculous.
    In this day and age there is quite simply no excuse to not shop around online and do your research. I always use this site before I buy:

http://www.bluraycollections.co.uk/

The only time I'd buy instore is if there's an offer on and I feel that I want to watch the film that night.

Fair enough some new releases are expensive but the window between cinema and DVD/Blu release is so small now I'm not always ready to see a film again that soon, I'd rather wait a few months longer to see it again. I accept this isn't everyone's choice but the window time/pricing structure of Blu-rays couldn't be better or fairer at this point in its history so far IMHO.
  • lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Blu-Ray is selling cheaper than the DVD on Amazon!
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20th Century Fox have released very telling stats about the Blu-ray scene in the UK.

20th Century Fox says Blu-Ray sales rose 49 per cent in Q3 over the previous quarter, and Vincent Marcais, Senior Vice President of International Marketing, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, says he expects Blu-Ray viewing to overtake DVD in 2013.

When it comes to Blu-ray's share of sales of recent Fox movie X-Men: First Class, a whopping 60 per cent of those who bought the movie in Germany did so on Blu-ray. In the UK the number was 40 per cent, which is in line with the rest of the world.

Fox put the increased releases of Double/Triple Plays as a key marketing technique to convert DVD buyers and give Blu-ray owners more value for money.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,241
    Forum Member
    Was surprised to see "Downton Abbey" out on Blu-ray today just one day after the series finalé aired!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20th Century Fox have released very telling stats about the Blu-ray scene in the UK.

20th Century Fox says Blu-Ray sales rose 49 per cent in Q3 over the previous quarter, and Vincent Marcais, Senior Vice President of International Marketing, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, says he expects Blu-Ray viewing to overtake DVD in 2013.

When it comes to Blu-ray's share of sales of recent Fox movie X-Men: First Class, a whopping 60 per cent of those who bought the movie in Germany did so on Blu-ray. In the UK the number was 40 per cent, which is in line with the rest of the world.

Fox put the increased releases of Double/Triple Plays as a key marketing technique to convert DVD buyers and give Blu-ray owners more value for money.
    I'm sure Geordielady will have some excuse up her sleeve to poo poo that report .
    Do you have a link to it though?