Leon Brittan Dead

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,403
    Forum Member
    Leon Brittan Dead

...and so that means that he cannot now be interviewed by the Metropolitan Police as either a potential witness to events or as a criminal suspect.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Leon Brittan Dead

...and so that means that he cannot now be interviewed by the Metropolitan Police as either a potential witness to events or as a criminal suspect.

You may be right.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,403
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    So the miners from Britain were saying Brittan had minors?

This bit (NB This is from Hansard, the official journal of record for parliament so the information below is already in the public domain):

Mr Hood: I was born a miner. Mining communities were the most law-abiding communities one could wish for. During the miners strike, people were put in prison who had never seen a prison even from afar.

Much has been written about violence on picket lines. The 30-year rule on publishing Cabinet papers needs to be examined, and the conduct of the Home Secretary in directing police and courts must be disclosed. By the way, the current exposé of Sir Leon Brittan, the then Home Secretary, with accusations of improper conduct with children, will not come as a surprise to the striking miners of 1984, as many of them—

Conor Burns: On a point of order, Mr Deputy Speaker. The hon. Member for Lanark and Hamilton East (Mr Hood) has just made profoundly serious accusations against a noble Lord. Is that in order?

Mr Deputy Speaker (Mr Lindsay Hoyle): In fairness, I did not hear as I was talking to a Whip. It is up to each Member to decide what they say, and they must make that decision.

Mr Hood: I will repeat part of the point that I am making. The rumours that Sir Leon Brittan was involved in misconduct with children do not come as news to miners who were on strike in 1984, because when miners were going into the dock in magistrates courts we were aware and miners were declaring—

Matthew Hancock: Will the hon. Gentleman give way?

Mr Hood: No, I will not give way. I will give way when I have finished my point.

Miners were saying in the dock in all the magistrates courts throughout the strike that they objected to the instructions coming from the Home Secretary when there were reports of child abuse linked with that same Home Secretary.

Mr Deputy Speaker (Mr Lindsay Hoyle): Order. It is up to each Member, but we have to be very careful about what we say. We must consider what we are saying and what the implications are.

Mr Hood: Obviously, I accept what you say, Mr Deputy Speaker. I am just repeating what I read in the papers—

Mr Deputy Speaker: Order. Time is up. Five minutes have gone. I call Mr Mark Spencer.

However, the newspaper(s) concerned may or may not have had witnesses to back up any allegations. We don't even know if it's tabloid or broadsheet papers involved and I personally would be more likely to believe well-researched and supported articles in the latter category.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    The victims will never get justice,if Brittan knew anything then his boss would of almost certainly known something and there is not a chance in hell that our establishment will let any of it stain her.
    This will just keep getting kicked further away until "nothing" can be proven or a couple of lowly sacrifices are made.

Always the way.
  • mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I think some of the posters on this thread should carefully consider what they are saying about this man. You are ruining the name of a man who has had no charges ever placed against him. Whatever rumours you may have heard they are just gossip until some evidence is presented.

You are correct to a certain degree.

However a certain Jimmy Savile also never had charges placed against him and we all know how that turned out.

Only time will tell eh.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    mcg3 wrote: »
    You are correct to a certain degree.

However a certain Jimmy Savile also never had charges placed against him and we all know how that turned out.

Only time will tell eh.

A media frenzy and loads of people saying he abused them. Loads more people saying they thought he was a bit creepy. Some more saying they heard he did this and that.

In short, save for witness testimony - none of which can be corroborated, there is no evidence against Jimmy Savile. Or Rolf Harris for that matter.

Just saying.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A media frenzy and loads of people saying he abused them. Loads more people saying they thought he was a bit creepy. Some more saying they heard he did this and that.

In short, save for witness testimony - none of which can be corroborated, there is no evidence against Jimmy Savile. Or Rolf Harris for that matter.

Just saying.

Apart from witness testimony there's no evidence against almost all of the rapists and child molesters in prison. Shall we let them all out?
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    How can you say you don't do politics, it's like saying I'm not alive. :confused:

Well, it's only like that if you're into politics. I could say the same about people who say they're not into food and cooking or not into music or not into football or not into real ale etc etc. I don't though because I understand that different people find different things exciting and interesting. Quite frankly politics bore me.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Well, it's only like that if you're into politics. I could say the same about people who say they're not into food and cooking or not into music or not into football or not into real ale etc etc. I don't though because I understand that different people find different things exciting and interesting. Quite frankly politics bore me.

If politics bore you, life bores you.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... there is no evidence against Jimmy Savile. Or Rolf Harris for that matter.

A jury found him guilty, so it figures there must have been .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Just saying.

But Rolf Harris was found guilty in a court of law, right? So it's completely different in his case.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »

Quoted for truth.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He who is tired of life, is tired of biscuits - McVities
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there is no evidence against Jimmy Savile. Or Rolf Harris for that matter.

Just saying.

do you mean apart from that presented in court - some in his own handwriting - which resulted in a guilty verdict?
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Politics is full of lies.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it doesn't, I love life, it's great.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odious man.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Jambo isn't an "odious man". He just has another point of view to you. Jeeees😠
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met him once when he was canvassing alongside my then MP during the election campaign in '87.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo isn't an "odious man". He just has another point of view to you. Jeeees��

:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    FilliA wrote: »
    If he did half the things he was accused of he was a wicked evil man.

As far as I know, he was under suspicion because a dossier of suspected paedophiles an MP handed him went missing somehow before or after he says he sent it to the proper people.

Were there any substantive allegations against him personally?

I haven't head anything along them lines. Just the fact the dossier went missing somehow.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we are saying that the dossier on child anise in politics was handed to someone who was suspected of being an abuser?

Something is very very pongy in Westminster and people are bound to speculate about where exactly the whiff is coming from because the facts remain hidden.

I wonder whether he is the one they were waiting to die so that they can claim it is all in the past or if there are more suspects that they will seek to protect / prevent from testifying by delaying tactics?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsands wrote: »
    As far as I know, he was under suspicion because a dossier of suspected paedophiles an MP handed him went missing somehow before or after he says he sent it to the proper people.

Were there any substantive allegations against him personally?

I haven't head anything along them lines. Just the fact the dossier went missing somehow.
    He was accused in parliament of being s paedophilie and questioned last year about a historic rape accusation. And then of course the dossier on child abuse disappeared on his watch.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    True, but he had the dossier then couldn't "recall" what happened to it.

If he turns out not to have been at the very centre of all this I will be very surprised. Always thought he was as slimy as can be.

Do you know what happened to every piece of paper you were handed over the past 30 years? Get a grip.

There had been the shooting of Yvonne Fletcher outside the Libyan embassy for which Britton pointed a finger at the security services for not doing their job, as a consequence he demanded a shake up and it is said elements of the security services took revenge.

We know the spy catcher Peter Wright attempted to sell a book on the premise the security services tried to form a coup against a Labour government in the 1960's but it turned out it was him alone.

If William Roache had died before his case went to trial I'm guessing some contributors would have jumped up and said he was slimy and creepy and guilty having not heard the full evidence.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    He was accused in parliament of being s paedophilie

Unless you can provide a link I take it that's a lie fabricated by you?

Who in parliament named him as a paedophile?