how do Z list earn a crust

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
Forum Member
✭✭
apart from the maybe the odd role in panto at christmas...how in hell are the likes of andy scott lee, lisa scott lee , H from steps( all of steps ), big brother muppets , and the rest of the z list who had their 15 minutes of fame earning a living

do they sign on the social , work in mcdonalds ????

or do they do the sophie anderton route ???

just someone thing ive wondered

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying that some of them make club appearances or something. Autobiographies (if people buy them :p) shop openings or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it would be unlikely that some of them would get a deal for a book, so club appearances are probably what pays the bills - must be a hard graft with lots of grief.

isnt the guy that won pop idiol that first year singing on cruise ships to make ends meet.

just often wondered - i mean they are hardly going to the job centre looking for temping jobs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    paris192 wrote: »
    i think it would be unlikely that some of them would get a deal for a book, so club appearances are probably what pays the bills - must be a hard graft with lots of grief.

isnt the guy that won pop idiol that first year singing on cruise ships to make ends meet.just often wondered - i mean they are hardly going to the job centre looking for temping jobs

Will Young?:eek:No.

Steve Brookstein (X Factor) - don't know, possibly. Cowell never wanted him to win anyway. it's all down to cowell at the end of the day:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats him steve brrokstein - thought i read that somewhere recently.

will young had sense with his career - went it alone in the end and hes still around
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The women probably make ends meet by posing in the lads mags, not so much call for that for the blokes though!
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how in hell are the likes of andy scott lee, lisa scott lee , H from steps( all of steps ), big brother muppets , and the rest of the z list who had their 15 minutes of fame earning a living

They spend all day writing begging letters to the producers of Celebrity Big Brother, Strictly Come Dancing and I'm a Calebrity Get Me Out Of Here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they all have zeleb agents who take 10% of whatever pittance they can earn, plus someone to sort out their tax returns etc. No wonder most of them end up back with mum and dad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lots of them must be on the dole or living off mum
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them end up doing quite well. Jade Goody, for example, became a millionnaire. Some other BB contestants end up coming out of it quite well, Chantelle has, Chanelle did for a while, and Sophie Reade's doing alright at the moment. Jodie Marsh has made over one million ££.
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media whoring is quite well paid. Whilst the average wage is something like twenty five grand for schleping about in a mundane job 50 weeks a year, you can earn that in a few weeks doing tat for Hello / OK Mag,Sunday Supplements and obscure Satellite channels, so they dont actually need to do THAT MUCH to sustain a living. And add to that any crap books, slots on Loose Women, Panto, turning on Xmas lights etc and its not that hard to earn a living.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »
    Media whoring is quite well paid. Whilst the average wage is something like twenty five grand for schleping about in a mundane job 50 weeks a year, you can earn that in a few weeks doing tat for Hello / OK Mag,Sunday Supplements and obscure Satellite channels, so they dont actually need to do THAT MUCH to sustain a living. And add to that any crap books, slots on Loose Women, Panto, turning on Xmas lights etc and its not that hard to earn a living.

A good living at that. A z-lister can do quite well until another z-lister comes along snapping at their heels, then takes their place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »

Even Prince Charles is turning on the Christmas lights this year - what chance do Big Brother contestants from four years ago stand against that? ;)
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,913
    Forum Member
    On the club scene would there not be a lucrative drugs market?

I can't believe these people flit from club to club and don't indulge, maybe they are all born again virgin christians?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,913
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    Even Prince Charles is turning on the Christmas lights this year - what chance do Big Brother contestants from four years ago stand against that? ;)

They're probably lucky to get a job putting them up rather than switch them on.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They earn their money by selling every aspect of their lives and their children's lives to the trash rags like OK!
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit unfair to lump former members of Steps in with former Big Brother contestants. For a start, the members of Steps earned a lot of money during their time in the band, and they and people in their situation will have been able to buy somewhere to live and depending on how lavish a lifestyle they want, have enough left over for spending money. But as others have said, there is a lot of money to be made from the odd photo-shoot, PA or reality tv gig if you were famous enough in the first place.

If you only became famous through reality tv in the first place then you have to work a lot harder to earn a living. I don't just mean working longer hours etc, but rather they have to constantly make sure that they are not forgotten and that no-one else gets the attention that you need to justify any kind of fee.

I remember that someone from Jade's management were trying really hard to get her onto Dancing on Ice, and every year their agents try to spread rumours that Chanelle or somsone similar is going to be taking part, but I don't think that kind of celebrity is compatable with the big, well paying shows. If the women are willing and able, they can earn a crust in the lads mags, and getting papped coming out of clubs wearing next to nothing. The lads find it a lot harder.

I think the BB lot who want to stay "celebrities" find it harder to sustain a career, because there is a glut of them all keen to get attention, and willing to be paid slightly less than the next person. The successful ones are the ones who don't try to be just a celebrity, they have got proper jobs like Craig from BB1 or Alison Hammond on This Morning. I've no idea how much they earn, but they are happy to get on with the work without relying on the trashy mags.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lads' mags for the girls, "shocker" stories in downmarket tabloids and glossy girlie mags, nightclub appearances, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

I think the BB lot who want to stay "celebrities" find it harder to sustain a career, because there is a glut of them all keen to get attention, and willing to be paid slightly less than the next person. The successful ones are the ones who don't try to be just a celebrity, they have got proper jobs like Craig from BB1 or Alison Hammond on This Morning. I've no idea how much they earn, but they are happy to get on with the work without relying on the trashy mags.

I agree that the world has fallen out of love with BB housemates, except for the Star/ Nuts market. Craig and Alison came out of peak BB series in terms of media impact, and both had skills anyway: Craig had a successful building company and was used to training builders, and Alison had years of experience of youth theatre work.

More recent BB people probably DON'T earn a living. Outside glamour, I'm not sure that anyone emerging from any series later than 2006 has really earned a living wage from media work in the long term, apart from glamour work. Last year's winner, oh joy, did not even try; said she loved teaching, had always wanted to teach, and had no intention of pursuing anything else. I don't know about anyone else, but I was entirely on her side in this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I met a housemate from BB8 at an event last year, she was a glamour girl before and has done more work since, but said it really didn't pay well at all. Not half as well as the figures quoted around the press and stuff. She said she felt like a loser for driving a second hand Renault Clio and had moved back in with Mum and Dad.

I kept in touch with her, and texted her recently to see if she'd be at the same event this year... It turns out one sponsorship deal with a company has just paid £42,000 and the only actual 'work' associated was two photoshoots and 8 public appearances. In turn she's been offered modelling work else where.

She also told me that upto BB7 95% of housemates could command between £70,000 and £100,000 for the News of the world post-eviction interview! (as much as the prize fund.)

A lot of the party-goers survive on freebies! In terms of drinks, transport etc.

I think certainly anyone, BB9/10 MUST be working/sponging?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think the evil Mr Clifford says the first thing he does for Celebrities is exaggerate their wealth in stories to make them seem more successful then they are. The fact is that there may be a proliferation of lad/goss mags or crappy TV shows, there's also been an even bigger influx of wanabees desperate for the exposure. I doubt that even the glamma girls that are in Nuts/Zoo all the time are earning that much.

Getting regular jobs in the meedja where you're paid a salary is really the only way to make serious money, unless you're a big exception.

I think it is fair putting ex-manufactured band people in too, as they're generally earning a pittance, making money for other people. Again there would be exceptions.

So in answer to the question "**** knows":o
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apart from the maybe the odd role in panto at christmas...how in hell are the likes of andy scott lee, lisa scott lee , H from steps( all of steps ), big brother muppets , and the rest of the z list who had their 15 minutes of fame earning a living

do they sign on the social , work in mcdonalds ????

or do they do the sophie anderton route ???

just someone thing ive wondered

Don't knock panto it's extremely well paid :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats him steve brrokstein - thought i read that somewhere recently.

will young had sense with his career - went it alone in the end and hes still around

alot of steves fans will say otherwise! apparently he has is lined uo and a fantastic christmas song coming up too :rolleyes: :D:D:D
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year's winner, oh joy, did not even try; said she loved teaching, had always wanted to teach, and had no intention of pursuing anything else. I don't know about anyone else, but I was entirely on her side in this.

I gave up on BB years ago, and mainly because too many of the entrants wanted an easy media career. By media career, I mean becoming a celebrity, not even aspiring to be a presenter etc. I had respect for the early lot who realised they were much more famous than they expected and enjoyed it, but most of them expected to go back to their day job. There have been far too many BB graduates now for even the trashiest of celebrity followers to keep up or care. It's all about supply and demand, and supply has way exceeded demand now.

John Barrowman supposedly earns £35,000 a week for panto, and the former pop stars or soap stars who can sing can make big money too. However, someone who can't sing or act, but was on BB will be lucky to get much above equity minimum if they do it. Most of them are convinced they'll make it big like Jade, or even Channelle. The problem is that even someone like Chanelle who has done loads of glamour work is that she doesn't have many alternatives, so they probably don't need to pay her that much.

I don't worry about the former members of Steps being on the breadline. The only reason Jo from S Club was skint was because she'd over-stretched herself and had a bit of a gambling problem. She earnt far more than most of us will earn during our whole careers, and she could have earned a very decent wage doing PAs and singing old S Club 7 songs at corporate events if she'd not acted like an idiot on CBB. She can sing, and should have concentrated on that.

It's harder for the ones who were famous and got used to the lifestyle with no real talent to back it up. People might mock singing on cruise ships, but it's good money and if you keep working doing what you are good at, you are much less likely to fritter it all away on drink/drugs/gambling/expensive cars.

It seemed to be a much bigger problem in the seventies and eighties when members of rock and pop bands thought they were much richer than they really were and lived beyond their means, and often signed dodgy contracts and got ripped off.
  • tania4stevetania4steve Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    I gave up on BB years ago, and mainly because too many of the entrants wanted an easy media career. By media career, I mean becoming a celebrity, not even aspiring to be a presenter etc. I had respect for the early lot who realised they were much more famous than they expected and enjoyed it, but most of them expected to go back to their day job. There have been far too many BB graduates now for even the trashiest of celebrity followers to keep up or care. It's all about supply and demand, and supply has way exceeded demand now.

John Barrowman supposedly earns £35,000 a week for panto, and the former pop stars or soap stars who can sing can make big money too. However, someone who can't sing or act, but was on BB will be lucky to get much above equity minimum if they do it. Most of them are convinced they'll make it big like Jade, or even Channelle. The problem is that even someone like Chanelle who has done loads of glamour work is that she doesn't have many alternatives, so they probably don't need to pay her that much.

I don't worry about the former members of Steps being on the breadline. The only reason Jo from S Club was skint was because she'd over-stretched herself and had a bit of a gambling problem. She earnt far more than most of us will earn during our whole careers, and she could have earned a very decent wage doing PAs and singing old S Club 7 songs at corporate events if she'd not acted like an idiot on CBB. She can sing, and should have concentrated on that.
    It's harder for the ones who were famous and got used to the lifestyle with no real talent to back it up. People might mock singing on cruise ships, but it's good money and if you keep working doing what you are good at, you are much less likely to fritter it all away on drink/drugs/gambling/expensive cars.

It seemed to be a much bigger problem in the seventies and eighties when members of rock and pop bands thought they were much richer than they really were and lived beyond their means, and often signed dodgy contracts and got ripped off.

And what's more, Richard Carpenter had singled her out as the person with the voice closest to Karen's, she could have been huge in America doing Carpenters homages, as well as having a very good bluesy/jazzy voice but as with so many others she wanted "celebrity" for the wrong reasons.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of them end up doing quite well. Jade Goody, for example, became a millionnaire. Some other BB contestants end up coming out of it quite well, Chantelle has, Chanelle did for a while, and Sophie Reade's doing alright at the moment. Jodie Marsh has made over one million ££.

Jodie is supposed to be absolutely skint now though. I suppose a million sounds a lot but by the time you've bought and furnished a house, filled a wardrobe full of designer clothes and had a few flash holidays, that's the lot spent. Thats where the likes of IAC and CBB come in. Many a skint former boybander or sopa star will be queuing up for £25k for 3 weeks 'work'. That might be all they'll earn that year.

Remember the likes of Jo O'Meara? S Club had several number ones, yet she went in CBB because she was on the verge of having her house repo'd? I remember Richie from Five (who were a pretty successful boyband) saying he'd made nowhere near a million.